Epson V550 vs V600?

Edit My Images
Yes
As I am in the market for a negative scanner I have done a bit of searching and have come across the Epson range, I only have a budget of £200 so the V550 and V600 fits nicely within that price bracket. Can any of you fine people recommend either of these over the other or is there something else on the market I should be looking at? The scanner must support Windows 10 so the Plustek scanners are out as all the specs I've read seem to suggest Win 10 is not supported. Your help is much appreciated, thank you.

Edit: I will be scanning 35mm Black & White negatives only.

Last edited:
From what I can tell the V550 and V600 are identical? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Therefore I'd recommend getting the cheaper of the two of you're interested in a flatbed.

As FujiLove says, a flatbed will give less good results than a dedicated slide scanner. However, if you're scanning for screen use only or prints less than 10x8, a flatbed will probably be okay. I've got an old Canon 9950f flatbed and Nikon Coolscan iv slide scanner, and the results from them aren't massively different at smaller print sizes.

If you're set on getting a flatbed scanner, I'd look at an older used Epson - eg. a Perfection 4990 or V700 for the simple reason that they would let you batch scan twice as many negs in one go as a V550/V600 (ie. 4 x strips of six images as opposed to 2). IMO scanning is a boring labourious job, and anything that makes it less so is to welcomed :)

I use a v550 for medium format. It works for 35mm, but you will probably find the scans a bit mushy with such a small negative. A dedicated 35mm film scanner will almost certainly perform better. Personally, I'd look at something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plustek-OpticFilm-8200i-SE-Film-Scanner/222115688583

It should run fine on Windows 10 using Vuescan: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/plustek_opticfilm_8200i.html

That's very helpful, thank you. Not supporting Win 10 was the only thing putting me off of the Plustek scanners.

From what I can tell the V550 and V600 are identical? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Therefore I'd recommend getting the cheaper of the two of you're interested in a flatbed.

That's what was confusing me, there seems to be no discernible difference! I'm going to do a bit more searching but with the Vuescan download the Plustek might just be what I need.

As FujiLove says, a flatbed will give less good results than a dedicated slide scanner. However, if you're scanning for screen use only or prints less than 10x8, a flatbed will probably be okay. I've got an old Canon 9950f flatbed and Nikon Coolscan iv slide scanner, and the results from them aren't massively different at smaller print sizes.

If you're set on getting a flatbed scanner, I'd look at an older used Epson - eg. a Perfection 4990 or V700 for the simple reason that they would let you batch scan twice as many negs in one go as a V550/V600 (ie. 4 x strips of six images as opposed to 2). IMO scanning is a boring labourious job, and anything that makes it less so is to welcomed :)

Thank you for the reply, I'm certainly not set on a flatbed scanner but rather anything that gives the best results.

The 600 does optical character recognition scans of documents too, plus it can upload to other devices via USB without additional software. Also, if buying new, check what bundled additional software you get with each scanner, I think I got the latest version of Photoshop Elements with the v600 when I bought it.

The 600 does optical character recognition scans of documents too, plus it can upload to other devices via USB without additional software. Also, if buying new, check what bundled additional software you get with each scanner, I think I got the latest version of Photoshop Elements with the v600 when I bought it.
I got Elements with my V500.

I much prefer scans of 135 film on the Plustek rather than the Epson. The Plustek is a bit more work, as you have to advance the film manually for each frame, but you get more options such as multi-scan and multi-exposure; the registration on the Epsons is not good enough to implement those features. Multi-exposure can be very useful for shadows areas with transparency film (or indeed for bright areas like clouds with negative film). I find multi-scan gives me much nicer-looking scans, though I'm never sure whether this is wishful thinking on my part! Filmscanner.info shows the real (as opposed to claimed) resolution of most Plusteks as being superior to the Epsons, too.

Yes, I think that's right. There are also even older Epson scanners with almost exactly the same specs as these that are available used. For instance, I have an Epson 4490, which I bought for £5 off of preloved.com, which has the same technical specs as the V500, as far as I'm aware, except it has a different light source.

Personally, I'm not really a big fan of the results from Epson scanners, so I wouldn't pay much more than about the £5 I paid to acquire the one I have...

I picked up a Perfection 4490 scanner from here and can honestly say the output is more than good enough for me on film and slides.

It was only £40 delivered too! :D

Edit: I will be scanning 35mm Black & White negatives only.

If you think this is unlikely to change (i.e. you have no plans to start shooting medium format in the near future), then I'd completely forget about the Epson flatbeds and go straight for a dedicated scanner like the Plustek's that have been mentioned. The 8100 is in your price range:

http://amzn.eu/d/apZObzA

They do come up intermittently for sale second hand - always make sure they have all the film carriers! It'll be a lot slower than scanning on a flatbed (because you can do 4-6 at a time on a flatbed, compared to 1 on the Plustek), but the results will be much better.

I use a Plustek 7200 for 35mm, and now a V550 for medium format.

If you think this is unlikely to change (i.e. you have no plans to start shooting medium format in the near future), then I'd completely forget about the Epson flatbeds and go straight for a dedicated scanner like the Plustek's that have been mentioned. The 8100 is in your price range:

http://amzn.eu/d/apZObzA

They do come up intermittently for sale second hand - always make sure they have all the film carriers! It'll be a lot slower than scanning on a flatbed (because you can do 4-6 at a time on a flatbed, compared to 1 on the Plustek), but the results will be much better.

I use a Plustek 7200 for 35mm, and now a V550 for medium format.

Thank you for your reply, I think I'm edging towards getting a Plustek mainly thanks to @FujiLove for posting that link to Vuescan. Why their products don't support Win 10 naturally I don't know?

Is it that the software won't work at all in windows 10, or is it simply that it won't work unless run in compatibility mode for windows 7 or before?

I think Win 10 can be quite fussy over what it will recognise and run with. I've just had a laptop upgraded with a 500gb SSD drive, more RAM and Win 10 instead of Win 7 and a complete new install on the drive (with latest drivers, latest BIOS, and updates on everything). It's great, apart from the inbuilt SD card reader will no longer work! Win 10 sees the drive but won't read the card, either saying 'insert card' or that the drive letter is invalid. All the cards I've tried work fine on the 2 other Win 10 computers I have!

Tried reloading drivers, removing and reloading the device and rebooting, booting with the SD card in the drive, checking it's enabled in the BIOS, etc. and nothing has fixed it. When I try to rename the drive it doesn't give me the option to do it! I've also tried occupying the original SD drive letter with USB sticks (which worked as they should) and then inserting the SD card to force it to use another drive letter, which worked, but the card still doesn't read and shows the same error messages! Apparently this is a fairly well known issue and there doesn't seem to be one single solution that works in every case. Or in my case a solution I could find in 3 hours of trying last night! So it's back to the local PC doctor with it. Now what chance do you think you'll have if the software isn't meant to work on Win 10 in the first place? :whistle:

Last edited:
I don't really subscribe to your logic, I'm afraid. For instance, I've had hardware drivers not work on windows 7, even though 7 is expressly supported, and indeed I've had drivers for hardware work on windows 10 even though support is specifically denied by the vendor. It really depends on what the specific lower level issue is, and only then can you talk about chance. Also, compatibility mode in the various operating systems goes a long way toward solving software running issues in my experience. I'm not making any claims specifically regarding plustek scanners mind, but I am curious as to whether the issues people are having with them are A) people avoid the products because of the absence of claimed support, or B) actual reported compatibility issues from people trying to use the scanners.

I've had a look on the Plustek website and according to their spec sheet the 8200i se works with Win 10, a bit more pricey but no more than the price of a night out so could be what I'm looking for.

Thank you to you all for your help and input.

Just my 2 pence worth.

I know people are saying that flat beds aren't as good as the Plustek for 35mm but my experience suggests they are absolutely fine. I have printed at a4 many times and the prints are sharp as you like.

I'm sure there is a difference, but I'm not sure how real world big a difference.

With that in mind, when you decide, and I bet you will, to go medium format, you will need a flatbed.

With the Plustek, you might well get a copy of Silverfast SE, which is worth giving a go before paying out for Vuescan. In some ways it's better, but it would be tied to the particular scanner AFAIK. With an Epson you should get a copy of Elements.

ETA: the plustek is more compact and packs away easily into a nice oblong bag that's supplied (or was). The Epson is a bit more awkward; mine is currently back in its supplied packaging, taking up a lot of space.

Last edited:
I don't really subscribe to your logic, I'm afraid. For instance, I've had hardware drivers not work on windows 7, even though 7 is expressly supported, and indeed I've had drivers for hardware work on windows 10 even though support is specifically denied by the vendor. It really depends on what the specific lower level issue is, and only then can you talk about chance. Also, compatibility mode in the various operating systems goes a long way toward solving software running issues in my experience. I'm not making any claims specifically regarding plustek scanners mind, but I am curious as to whether the issues people are having with them are A) people avoid the products because of the absence of claimed support, or B) actual reported compatibility issues from people trying to use the scanners.

From what you've said, we seem to have had different experiences, so I imagine that's why we have different views. I found Win 7 pretty much worked fine, with the minimum of fuss and the occasional update (which admittedly I often didn't notice until I shut the computer down and was faced with a wait while it updated, which was annoying at times). My experience of Win 10 has been that it seems to be somewhat bug prone when it comes to recognising drives. My main PC, supplied new by a well regarded major manufacturer, with i7 processor, 16 gig of ram and SSD drive wouldn't consistently recognise the factory installed CD ROM drive, then lost the ability to read from it completely (similar to the SD card reader problem I have now), then it started working perfectly for no obvious reason about 9 months after taking delivery of the PC - perhaps one of those major update downloads fixed it?

If you do a Google search for Win 10 and SD card reader issue there seem to be plenty of people who've also experienced it, and only some have found a fix for it, so it appears it's not just a one-off on my machine. Furthermore, I've found Win 10 seems to be rather needy, with updates coming in on quite a regular basis, which take time to download and install. Fine if you use the computer every day and it gets on with it while you're working, but for an occasionally used laptop I find it's a PITA, with me having to remember to turn the laptop on and connect it to the internet and check for updates the day before I want to use it, as it can take a few hours to download and install the updates. Yes, I could turn the update facility off and update when I wanted, but I'd have something else to remember then, including where the turn off option is in the maze that is the 'Settings' menu. Perhaps if they didn't package it up with undeletable software like Cortina, Edge, ect. then it wouldn't need so many patches and updates to fix the bugs and vulnerabilities?

Back to the scanner, I use a flatbed v600, the downside is that you can get better results from something like a Plustek on 35mm, but the benefits are that you can load two strips of 6 negs in it and leave it to get on with scanning them while you do something else. It also seems to do an acceptably nice job of medium format. I did think about buying a Plustek for 'best' 35mm scans, but the desk space and expense couldn't be justified for the fairly marginal benefit I felt it would give me. So I get the lab to scan any films I think have got some good shots on, using my scanner on the 'everyday' type stuff, and I think that's a more cost effective option for me.

Last edited:
Always turn off 'driver signing' when installing older hardware on Windows 10.

Back