Epynt Rally, Sennybridge

Name
Elizabeth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. :) Spent last Sunday at Epynt Military Range, Sennybridge, near Breconshire, and attempted to do some more panning. I've done a few shots over the past 12 months, and have a long way to go yet to getting it right, lol, but I've had some fun, and learnt a few things about the technique along the way. Tis definately good for the "hips", lol. :p

These are about my 4th attempts, and I know I need to get the car more in focus, but they seem to be a lot better than what they were in the beginning.;)

Anyway, I would like to know what you think, together with any C&C, and any ways in which you think I could improve.

Ford Fiesta Mark III

FiestaMK3.jpg

Mitsubishi Evo

MitsubishiEVOweb.jpg

Ford Focus

FocusEpyntweb.jpg

If these are only your fourth attempt then those pro`s in Motoring News had better keep on their toes!!!!!!!!!!!! I liked the EVO and Focus

Hi Beth,

They are good efforts, even more so given your Fuji compact, and practice will indeed improve your technique! :)

A few things to think about. If you didn't already, set your zoom lens to the focal length you need to get the whole car in the frame when it is right in front of you, then leave it there. Only very expensive SLR lenses are 'parfocal' ie the camera will not need to refocus when the focal length is changed.

Your Fiesta shot is at 1/160s. I would say that was a little slow for someone learning panning. Since you are standing at the side of a straight, I would suggest shooting at either 1/200s or 1/250s, since the car is going quickly you don't need to shoot so slowly. I am assuming your Fuji was in Servo mode, try to lock on the car early and track it smoothly before you shoot. Gently squeezing off 1 or 2 shots will be much better than blasting away with 8.5 per second to begin with. Think about the shots and try to shoot when the car is only your left say 11 o'clock view or completely side on.

Honestly, I think you did well with your Fuji but digital compacts are not designed for this kind of photography really, maintainly due to the speed of focussing and the lag when you press the shutter. Still the Evo and Focus are pretty sharp and show what is possible but I would say shoot at a slightly higher speed next time, this will help keep the car sharp and allow you to focus on your technique, then as your technique improves you can reduce the shutter speed even low than 1/125s. Well done! :)

Back