Equestrian Photography?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys...
I've just been asked by a friend of mine from work to see If I could take some photos of her daughter and her horse on the beach sometime after Christmas...
I've looked into some studio photography and understand what to try and achieve from studio shots... i've looked into some outside portrait stuff and I have a good understanding of composure from this...

However... a horse on a beach is something I am totally lost with? I wouldn't even know where to start with this kind of photography. Any suggestions on how to approach this? (Obviously not from behind because i'll get a hoof in the face!)

Many Thanks

Andy

A quick google of horse beach and then click ‘images’ will yield more help than the couple of people who have some direct experience.

Pinterest might be even more use. YMMV

And it’s composition not composure ;)

JJ takes lots of horse pics. Might be worth sending him a pm.

Hi guys...
I've just been asked by a friend of mine from work to see If I could take some photos of her daughter and her horse on the beach sometime after Christmas...
I've looked into some studio photography and understand what to try and achieve from studio shots... i've looked into some outside portrait stuff and I have a good understanding of composure from this...

However... a horse on a beach is something I am totally lost with? I wouldn't even know where to start with this kind of photography. Any suggestions on how to approach this? (Obviously not from behind because i'll get a hoof in the face!)

Many Thanks

Andy

You can get some fantastic shots on the beach!

Are they wanting action shots or just some nice portrait shots?

What lenses have you got? I love equestrian photography. I’m not sure I’m that good at it but enjoy it anyway!!

You can get some fantastic shots on the beach!

Are they wanting action shots or just some nice portrait shots?

What lenses have you got? I love equestrian photography. I’m not sure I’m that good at it but enjoy it anyway!!
At the moment I've got a 35mm 1
8, I'll have an 85mm 1.8 and I've got the 18-55 kit and the 70-300 kit which isn't too great.
I have the d3300.. I've seen some great sunset shots where you get some great portraits with the sunset, then working around that then possibly trying to do some kind of action shots with a silhouette style shot.
I've not had a proper chat yet about what they want but will Defiantly have that conversation. Thanks

This to me is a blank canvas waiting for you to fill it. It will depend on lighting and weather conditions. I see this as a great opportunity for you

However... a horse on a beach is something I am totally lost with? I wouldn't even know where to start with this kind of photography. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

When I get asked to do weddings or portraits I turn it down as it's not my type of photography therefore I couldn't do it justice... Your in a simmilar position reversed..

However if you do go for it then I would be suprised if horse/beech is looking for portraits... If you don't get a shot of horse/rider racing through the water (shallow bit but enough to get splash) then you want shooting :)

For action you will need the longest lens you ahve and the fastest shutter speed you can manage....

Back