Equestrian Photography.

Edit My Images
Yes
I am off to watch my wife do some show jumping this weekend and have been 'invited' to take some photo's of her and her friends!

Being almost a complete novice and certainly having not done any sport photography I would appreciate a little advice please with regards to set up. I am using my Nikon D50 with a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG. Most lilkely I will be using either a monopod or possibly tripod.

Normally I wouldn't bother asking something like this but having looked at some of the pics on different websites there seems to be a load of different approaches... and god help me if I get it wrong :thumbsdown: :help:

Cheers,

Bob

Do a search for some of Hacker's recent posts, top stuff

Talk about fast response.... 1 minute after posting this up and I am looking at Hackers posts and tips... Thanks very much... I may even work up the nerve to post a couple of shots from this weekend (providing she does not fall off!!)

Hi Bob, not much I can tell you really! Use a monopod if you can, it helps to steady the camera and lens but is still versatile enough for movement. For the actual showjumping I try and position myself forward of the fence at an angle of about 45*, if you are too side on to the fence the wings and or flags can obscure the picture, likewise if you are too far in front the riders face can be obscured by the horses neck.

If the weather is very sunny and bright I tend to use centre-weighted metering as it gives better results. White/grey horses, white breeches and white fences can make it difficult which is why I've moved away from matrix metering in good weather. I'm sure I don't need to tell you to use AF-C when focussing to track the horse as it approaches the fence, I usually concentrate on the neck of the horse or the riders torso.

Have a good time and take a look at my website, I did a show at the weekend and uploaded about 170 images, it might give you some ideas.

Colin.

Forgot to mention, in bright conditions I tend to use aperture priority and set to about f/4 which will give you a fast enough shutter speed.

Yep, I'll just echo what the other's have said, keep the shuter speed up and if you have the memory take a burst of shots as she goes over the fence, more chances of success then... oh, and don't forget to take a few of her inbetween jumps, you can get some good shots of her concentraiting on getting the horse into position for the next jump.

Have a great time (y)

Cheers for all the help and advice - I am really impressed with how helpful everybody is on the forum.

Looks like rain tomorrow here in Northumberland and the b****Y horse has gone lame :bonk: So he wont be playing out.

BUT I am still going to go along and try my hand at it and see how I get along. I was thinking about shooting continuos just to improve the chances of 'the' shot.

Its great when I start looking at the price of kit for the camera because now I can equate it to the price of a new saddle or 2 months livery... life has never been so quiet!! (y)

Sorry to hear that mate, I'm sure the wife is really dissappointed. :(

If your both still going up anyway then it's a good idea to take the gear with you for a practice session, you'll be able to find out works and what doesn't for when it really counts ;)

BobR said:
Its great when I start looking at the price of kit for the camera because now I can equate it to the price of a new saddle or 2 months livery... life has never been so quiet!! (y)
How do you think I got the 100-400L :naughty:

Sonsey said:
Sorry to hear that mate, I'm sure the wife is really dissappointed. :(

If your both still going up anyway then it's a good idea to take the gear with you for a practice session, you'll be able to find out works and what doesn't for when it really counts ;)

How do you think I got the 100-400L :naughty:

its the way forward, bartering for kit, i had to buy a washing machine when i got the 300d....

matty said:
its the way forward, bartering for kit, i had to buy a washing machine when i got the 300d....
It's different when the shoe's on the other foot... damned equal rights :crying: ;)

Shouldn't that be shoe's on the other hoof?

:D
:(
Ok, I'll go....

Howdy!

Been subsumed by the beast of work. Which has basically meant the last month in Italy. Bloomin' hot out there I can tell you.

But back now so hopefully it should be calmer!

Back on topic, just before I went away I managed to get to a horsey event (technical term) :D and took some photos of a friend. I'll post them when I get a chance. :)

yes nice to see you again sammy..was beginning to think you didnt love us anymore!

BobR said:
I can equate it to the price of a new saddle
equals 70-200mm F2.8 IS :(

matty said:
yes nice to see you again sammy..was beginning to think you didnt love us anymore!

Well it's nice to be missed! :)

Work has been a bit of pain recently, getting in the way of more than one hobby, but it pays the bills so one can't complain too much. :razz:

Horizontal rain stopped play on my equestrian mission today! Still there is always next week I guess... Thanks to all who posted advice to help me out.

Hacker said:
Hi Bob, not much I can tell you really! Use a monopod if you can, it helps to steady the camera and lens but is still versatile enough for movement. For the actual showjumping I try and position myself forward of the fence at an angle of about 45*, if you are too side on to the fence the wings and or flags can obscure the picture, likewise if you are too far in front the riders face can be obscured by the horses neck.

If the weather is very sunny and bright I tend to use centre-weighted metering as it gives better results. White/grey horses, white breeches and white fences can make it difficult which is why I've moved away from matrix metering in good weather. I'm sure I don't need to tell you to use AF-C when focussing to track the horse as it approaches the fence, I usually concentrate on the neck of the horse or the riders torso.

Have a good time and take a look at my website, I did a show at the weekend and uploaded about 170 images, it might give you some ideas.

Colin.

Finally managed to get a local event. I followed your advice but I still need a lot more practice before I dare post anything up. I did however get tackled by the local 'pro' who seemed to think I was starting a 'turf' war and was very quick to point out I had better not be trying to take over his patch. If only he had seen the results inside the camera I think he would have slept much easier.

I was surprised how many people approached me if they could purchase some prints. I need a badge saying 'Just started - Don't Ask!'

What I did notice was that alot of the event photographers just sell prints 'out of the camera' at the event without spending any time on the final product. Something you mentioned recently and I think you are very wise spending the time to turn out a quality product.

As soon as I get something decent I will post it up.

BobR

Back