Equipment advice - First wedding

Edit My Images
No
Shooting my first wedding shortly, I have a D750 and D7000 as a second body/backup, 35 1.8, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8.

With one camera I would plan on using the D750 and 35 for most of the shots with the 85 for the portraits. Obviously changing lenses is fine to a point but I want to minimise it and not waste time missing shots.

Would anyone with this kit shoot with both cameras simultaneously, 35 on the D750 and either 50 or 85 on the D7000? Obviously crop factor make the 50 essentially an 85 and the 85 much longer?

Any thoughts?

Anyone else use this combination at weddings?

I have shot dozens of weddings with only 35 and 85 full frame successfully , however there is the odd occasion where 35 is just not wide enough and I use a 16-35 on those so you have to be careful of the venue/s and check them out first. So i would think your 50 on the second body would be the way to go maybe swapping to the 85 for speeches for a bit more reach.

Thanks, I was thinking 35 on the D750 for most of the day, 50 on the D7000 when I need extra reach.

Change to the 85 on the D750 when I have time for the B&G portraits.

Speeches and ceremony I can go with the 85 on the D7000 if I need extra reach.

D750 with the 35 or 50 for the first dance shots etc due to better ISO.

I am happy to let the D750 shoot at up to 6400 ISO, never really used the D7000 in as poor light, anyone with a D7000 suggest a sensible max ISO that the sensor can handle without too much noise?

I am happy to let the D750 shoot at up to 6400 ISO, never really used the D7000 in as poor light, anyone with a D7000 suggest a sensible max ISO that the sensor can handle without too much noise?

May be better to do some tests with high ISO to see what is acceptable to you - what other people find "acceptable" will differ greatly :)

Me too, but I am extra critical of my own work,

I think Hugh's point is that clients simply don't care about a little noise, if it is present. Photographers are far more concerned with it. As they are with highlights being blown. I might be wrong about that being Hugh's point but it's true as far as I am concerned. :)

Noise can be reduced , blur cannot ( at least not that well yet ) , you need to be more concerned with correct shutter speeds with the D7000 and 50 / 85, if its dark in venue for example you might get a shot with f2 at iso1600 1/100 sec which will be sharp but noisy, or you could opt for a set ISO of 400 and end up with a blurred shot and too slow shutter.

I shoot everything on a 35mm and 85mm and just change lenses when I need to. I have a little bag that holds the other lens while rocking the other and have no issues. I keep a 24-70mm in my bag in case anything goes wrong and usually use a 17-40 for a large shot of the whole wedding party.

Noise isn't an issue for me.. if you get 'the shot' then noise isn't going to overcome the feeling they'll get from seeing the image so wouldn't worry about it too much unless the pictures are unusable because of it.

Sounds like you have the gear for the job so just enjoy it :D

I shoot everything on a 35mm and 85mm and just change lenses when I need to. I have a little bag that holds the other lens while rocking the other and have no issues. I keep a 24-70mm in my bag in case anything goes wrong and usually use a 17-40 for a large shot of the whole wedding party.

Noise isn't an issue for me.. if you get 'the shot' then noise isn't going to overcome the feeling they'll get from seeing the image so wouldn't worry about it too much unless the pictures are unusable because of it.

Sounds like you have the gear for the job so just enjoy it :D
Over thinking it really to be honest :)

Check where you can stand for the ceremony. I shot part of one this week from the back as restricted view at the front for that part and I was at 200mm the whole time for that part.

Just got a D750 two weeks ago and only shot a handful of weddings with it so far and only pushed it to ISO 2500 but really clean images so it's definitely a great wedding camera.

I've been shooting weddings for a few years now and tend to use a 24-70 2.8 and. 70-200 2.8 both mounted on FX bodies and they serve me very well indeed, but I do know of some photographers who stick to primes the whole day and just try to get closer to the action rather than make use of being able to zoom in, it kind of depends on whether the B&G are opposed to you being a little closer to them at times during their vows in order to capture it all, It's always worthwhile having at least one pro spec zoom in the bag just incase.

Don't have one I am afraid. Hopefully one day. If I go with my 85 on the crop D7000 I should have decent range.

nor I. Have managed 30 odd weddings a year for the last 6 years without ever owning one though

I would probably go for a second D750 body before the 70-200 and also upgrade my 35 to a sigma 35!

dont forget the 70-200 2.8 never leave home without it

I shot loads of weddings with a 16-35/2.8 on one body and a 70-200/2.8L on the other (both 1.3 "crop factor"), primarily because that was considered to be the biz for documentary wedding photography. It worked OK for me, but eventually I got fed up of the bulk and weight of the 70-200 - particularly after I checked out what focal lengths I was actually using the most. So I flogged it and just got closer. Worked a treat for me ...

Shooting my first wedding shortly, I have a D750 and D7000 as a second body/backup, 35 1.8, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8.

With one camera I would plan on using the D750 and 35 for most of the shots with the 85 for the portraits. Obviously changing lenses is fine to a point but I want to minimise it and not waste time missing shots.

Would anyone with this kit shoot with both cameras simultaneously, 35 on the D750 and either 50 or 85 on the D7000? Obviously crop factor make the 50 essentially an 85 and the 85 much longer?

Any thoughts?

Anyone else use this combination at weddings?

I guess it depends on how confident you are in your abilities on being able to anticipate the events on the day. i'd stick the 50 f1.8 on the crop if i had to, I don't normally use anything longer than a 85 on full frame as I feel nowadays you can crop pictures taken on larger sensors or get closer to the action.

Personally i don't like swapping lenses around even with experience and I'd prefer to have a wider option if anything, it's been been mentioned 24~70 f2.8 is the all rounder a majority of people prefer on Full frame as it gives more flexibility. I'd consider hiring one? Once you have gained experience & confidence then perhaps using the primes would be something to consider in the future unless of course you have experience already?

Back