Equipment check and pricing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
will
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey Talk Photography,

Recently I have been walking my dogs with this old man, I got chatting to him and one day he decided to invite me to his place, after a couple of cuppa's (slang for cup of tea) we got on the topic of DLSR'S and photography, he deiced to dig up his old DLSR, a nikon d7000 with 5-6 lens, he said "no need for them, I'm board now, have them"... now, its a shame as I have a 70d and quite a few lenses he dug up and gave me are Nikon exclusive (don't fit my camera) so either I keep the d7000 and the lenses or sell them, I know the price of a few lenses and the body but not this one... what is the price, if you could kindly tell me?

zYSWTAT.jpg

Also could you identify if these two lenses are wide angle

TIIo4jq.jpg

PYmRlem.jpg

and lastly just a general question, should I just keep all this equipment or sell it!

Thanks.

I'd say price wise, selling on here or eBay

80-400 - £300-350
18-200 - £150
18-70 - £70

The 18-70 & 18-200 are reasonably wide angle at their widest end.

As for keeping/selling them, up to you - the D7000 would still be a reasonable camera, but as you have a Canon set up already it might just go to waste.

Thanks, I'm going to sell i think

cheers again

Last edited:
Hey Talk Photography,

Recently I have been walking my dogs with this old man, I got chatting to him and one day he decided to invite me to his place, after a couple of cuppa's (slang for cup of tea) we got on the topic of DLSR'S and photography, he deiced to dig up his old DLSR, a nikon d7000 with 5-6 lens, he said "no need for them, I'm board now, have them"... now, its a shame as I have a 70d and quite a few lenses he dug up and gave me are Nikon exclusive (don't fit my camera) so either I keep the d7000 and the lenses or sell them, I know the price of a few lenses and the body but not this one... what is the price, if you could kindly tell me?

Thanks.

The 80-400mm is the first version of this lens. Not as good as the current version. Used pricing on Amazon in the US lists it around $600-800 US.

The other two lens are designed for Dx cameras (e.g D7000), not full-frame (such as a D750). They are credible lenses but I do not think it would be appropriate to call them 'wide angle'. The equivalant full frame focal lengths are 24-300mm and 24-105mm. They are general purpose lenses that provide good telephoto coverage. 18mm om DX (or 24mm full frame) is sort of wide but not really wide angle. For a wide angle on Dx cameras, I would expect a lens to have a focal length coverage in the 10 to 24mm range.

he said "no need for them, I'm board now, have them"

Hasn't he given them to you because he thought you would get more use out of them than he is doing? Seems a bit off if you then sell them..

I thought that tbh
Thanks, I'm going to sell

cheers again

You didn't think very long on it then! I know if I gave someone all of my old camera gear out of kindness and their first action was to hit the forums to get a price on it I'd be well p***ed off. But, it's your decision ... maybe at least tell the guy you plan to do this, or it might be awkward next time you meet him and he asks how you're getting on with the gear.
Not sure anyone should be giving you quotes tbh, as there is a classified section on here with a section named 'Price checks' specifically for threads like this. But you have to have been a member for a couple month and have a certain number of posts. This tells you that by the rules, you should be a bit more of a regular on here before asking this kind of question.

Think you should keep it if those photos are anything to go by, must be better than your current gear.
I also think you are bang out of order too, not only for flogging it, but also coming on here just to get a price.

Hi @28lbe and welcome to TP, a great resource for learning and sharing photos for critique and 'just for fun'.

Clearly, your choice to do as you see fit with the very kind gift of the old man........................however, the way you describe the meeting and interaction, I surmise he thought you might make good use of it/them as you had shown an interest in camera gear and photography in general.

Purely IMO and the way I think ~ were I offered such gear and had no use of it I would not have accepted it unconditionally. I would (on the basis that the guy had befriended me) offer to sell it on his behalf or if he really was not interested in that, offer to give it to a charity for sale or a charity that would actually make use of the gear. Any action thereafter on my part would depend on how the conversation went..........???

Think you should keep it if those photos are anything to go by, must be better than your current gear.
I also think you are bang out of order too, not only for flogging it, but also coming on here just to get a price.

it was took on my iPhone lol... btw I haven't flogged it at all... I think @Box Brownie has a great idea of giving it to charity for free // giving it to someone who is new to this hobby...

or using it myself, its a quite nice camera, I just don't want to not use // forget about my Canon

Last edited:
A response like that is hardly going to encourage him to stick around.
People join up for various reasons, and if treated respectfully may hang around and contribute.
I think your comments are bang out of order.

People join up for various reasons, and if treated respectfully may hang around and contribute.

Fair enough. that's your opinion, just happens mine differs from yours.
Agree on some things, not on others, that's life and don't suppose either of us will lose any kip over it

In fairness, if your first post is 'how much is this gear I got for free worth' it's as likely the OP searched gear price checks, came across TP and then discovered that section is off limits to hit and runs. OP may very well stick around, but why wait until you're flogging gear to join the forum if you're already into photography?

Way of the world these days I guess everyone out for themselves.

The right thing to do would be to return the equipment and tell him that you don’t have need of it.

Last edited:
In fairness, if your first post is 'how much is this gear I got for free worth' it's as likely the OP searched gear price checks, came across TP and then discovered that section is off limits to hit and runs. OP may very well stick around, but why wait until you're flogging gear to join the forum if you're already into photography?
Not everyone is aware of TP though, and possibly he came across it for the first time whilst he was searching for info?
I'm not saying what he is doing is right though.

Not everyone is aware of TP though, and possibly he came across it for the first time whilst he was searching for info?
I'm not saying what he is doing is right though.

Only OP can say, but my thinking is that's how they became aware of it - searching price check on camera gear. Outside of this thread it's none of my business what they do with the gear but we all had to obey the rules when we joined. I was on here a couple year I think before I bought or sold anything in classified

Oh FFS. He’s not trying to sell the gear here and who says asking for a valuation is against the rules.

I’m surprised we get any new members with the way some are treated.

Who said it is right. un-twist yer knickers there white knight wannabe ... maybe re-read what was said and suggested before diving in with your over dramatics.

It's a bit unusual for someone to suddenly join and ask 'what is my free stuff' worth from the get go. There is a section for it, it is locked to newcomers for a reason, so though it may not be in the rules, that should tell you it's restricted to regulars. Why don't you buy his gear since it concerns you so much?

Oh FFS. He’s not trying to sell the gear here and who says asking for a valuation is against the rules.

I’m surprised we get any new members with the way some are treated.

Pity someone didn't give you some grief after your first post then

Price checks are in the classified section for a reason
  • You can only use the classifieds if you are an established member.*
And we are done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back