Equipment for 4 day NYC visit

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
HI guys,

As it's a big birthday for me this year (I won't tell you how old I will be as you will make fun of me :D). Anyway for my birthday, Mrs Sootchucker has booked a 4 day city break to New York City this September. I know it's a good way away, but I was wondering about the correct equipment to take. As some of you may know, I currently run two systems, my Olympus Micro Four Thirds (with the EM1-X and OM-1 bodies), and a Nikon Z system (with the Z6 II, Z7 II and Z9 bodies). I don't really have a small do it all point and shoot (other than my iPhone 13 pro).

My thoughts were either the:

OM-1 Body with my 12-100 F4, or 12-40 F2.8 lenses - and perhaps my Panny Leica 8-18 F2.8-4 for the occasional wide angle shot. or my

Z6 II (or Z7 II) body, with my Nikon Z 24-140 F4 lens and perhaps my Z 14-30 F4 ?

The Olympus kit (with both lenses) would weigh a min of 1,296g and a max of 1,475g, and the Nikon kit would weigh min 1,690g to a max of 1,820g. So with the bigger lenses there's only 345g between them.

There are pros and cons for both. Firstly the Olympus system is that 345g lighter and slightly smaller (although not that much). It also has it's hand held high res shot feature, Live ND, Live Composite modes and of course the fabulous image stabilization. For the Nikon though is obviously full frame for not that much in the way of weight and size penalty. Much better high ISO performance (for night shots), more resolution (especially if I take the Z7 II @ 46mp) better Video etc. TBH, I'm sort of coming down on the Olympus side simply for it's breath of abilities, and I think I can counter some of the low light ISO performance it gives away by using slower shutter speeds and relying on the IS (for static shots at least), and for the resolution, perhaps the HHHR feature (again for static shots) ?

I think I might be over thinking this already :D. One things for certain, I want to get some much better images this time which I hope to print big and have on the wall. The last time I was in NYC was 16 years ago, and at that time I took a Konica Minolta Dimage A2 camera (anyone remember those), and when I look today at those grainy 8mp slightly unsharp images, and extremely limited DR from it's 2/3" sensor of the time, I don't want to repeat that and come back with images that I look at and regret not taking a better camera, but at the same time it needs to be portable and easily carried and not have me look too much like a tourist (I know there's no way of really getting away with that, but as incognito as possible).To that end, it might have to be a new back pack too that doesn't look so much like a photo backpack (anyone recommend the Peak Design Everyday 20L backpack in grey or blue ?)

Anyone have any thoughts on this please, feel free to chime in.

Last edited:
As an Olympus shooter and former frequent NYC visitor I would take the 12-100 for daytime walkaround and 12-40 for night time. I don't think you will be disappointed.

We're going on a three-week Med cruise in April for my big birthday this year. Two big birthdays ago, we went to New Zealand where I used a Dimage A1 and, in keeping with its 28-200mm equivalent lens, this year I'm going to take my E-M5 III and 12-100mm. I might add the 8-25mm and I think you'd certainly use your 8-18mm in NYC.

Z7 with 24-120 and 14-30.
Having been before (in the film era) I think your 14-30 will be your most used lens.
I took a 20-35 F mount (on an F100) and used it nearly all the time.

OM1 and 12-40, covers most situations, carry in a smallish bag and no lens changing.

I'm an NYC native and just want to point out it really is a walking city. For that reason I'd go with the Oly option as it is significantly lighter.

In addition to a standard/close tele zoom I'd definitely bring an ultrawide optic in case you want to get creative. Additionally a small tripod could be invaluable if you want to get some streaky nightime long exposures.

Just had a look at when I went for my 30th - my photos were 50:50 Canon S90 compact and 5D with 24-105, which was probably the only lens I took.

If you are going with anyone else - and it looks like you are - unless they are used to hanging around while you fiddle and change lenses then just take your iPhone and have a memorable time.

Your are going to want to take a photograph about every 10 yards in NY, it's an amazing place.

With an iPhone you can click and run - the limitations of the phone - if indeed there are any at all - will make you a better holiday companion :)

Enjoy

David

I’d suggest looking at taking a platypod and small ballhead or similar. Even ifyou take a travel tripod for general use they wont let youtake it or use it in some of public terraces at top of buildings snd you have to leave it at security. Not so the platypod and theres usually a wall with ledge round the top and you can get longer exposure shots. Its a long way to go and those twilight shots need a bit more than hand help can manage.

on lenses the oly with the wide angle and 12-100 on camera most of the time sound right to me.

I come across this thread as I'm going to New York with my wife at the beginning of December, celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, so I was looking for photography tips and what kit to take.

Wondering how you got on?

I went to NYC a few years ago and I took the EM1, 12-40mm f2.8 and 40-150mm R and that covered pretty much everything. Olympus IBIS really helped with the night skyline shots without needing a tripod. There were a couple of occasions I wish I’d got something a bit wider though.

Back