Equipment for a wedding - amateur photographer

Name
Tori
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I am an amateur photographer, and my friend has asked me to take some photos for his wedding. They have a VERY tight budget and so another of his friends and myself will take the photos.

I have:
Nikon D50
18-35mm Nikkor
55-200mm NIKKOR

but think I might need a different lens for the wedding... but on a low budget at the mo.

Please could you recommend which lens I should buy or which lenses you guys would use? As I say, I've got a good eye for photographs and am great at photoshop but am still learning the technical bits :eek:)

Many thanks,

I don't shoot Nikon so can't really suggest a lens but if you're on a limited budget then it might be better spent on a flash...

or you may well find you get their and the registrar or priest tells you you can't use your new shiny flash.

Hiring may be an options, and it'd be worth serarching on here for advise, and working on your low light techniques and kit

If flash is not allowed in the ceremony, then you will need some fast glass.

Also for the reception you will need a flash for indoors/fill etc.

Ideally you should have two body's, and two flash's, fast glass and a nice set of focal lengths. Obviously this is a one off so cant be helped. You could always hire a decent body and lens(s) for the occasion.

Make sure you know how to effectively use your gear before hand...

Try searching the forums for all the other threads like this - there are plenty

ok, firstly, be prepared to hear things in this thread you may not like. some don't look favourably on people doing weddings as a favour simply because they have a DSLR. You may get some comments that air on the negative side.

From my POV, is your friend familiar with your work and know fully what to expect from what your capabilities are?

Photography is less about the lequipment and more about what you do with it. I would spend more time practising and perfecting techniques and getting used to high pressure environments than worrying about new kit.

I am not a pro, but have taken photo's at two weddings as a person who went as a guest, and even ten I found it hard work and there were no pressures on me. You'll want a flash for inside, and if your not used to using one you'll need to be.

Its a nice gesture, with a lot of responsibility on yourself, so make sure your 100% happy with what you can do, and know EXACTLY what is expected from you and that you can do the task justice.

A friend of mine has asked me to shoot her wedding after I did her brother's reception. She was pelased with the photos I took and I will be doing the photos and putting together a photobook as my gift.

I've been looking into what lenses are suitable, and am planning on this - reasonable hire cost too. Hiring a lens is definitely the way to go if you're on a budget.

You've got the flash sorted which is good so I'd suggest using just one lens in the range of 18-70mm or so. Shooting weddings is tough enough without keep chopping and changing kit so I'd stick to one lens, know its limitations and work within them. You should still be able to get all the key shots, some better than others but I'm sure that'll be fine.

Hi, yes he's seen my work and they just can't afford for a professional. His other friend appears to have more experience than me so I'll be more of a back-up. I will definitely get loads of practice in, it was more to ask which lens is the best for this kind of work.

Thanks Sam for the info on hiring in particular, v helpful.

Yeah, the Nikon 50mm f1.8 would be good if you need to go wide open, or look at the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Obviously, search the for sale forum on here for bargins, the prices here are lower then what you can get on ebay, and most of the people here are decent, trust worthy people and will give you a description as acuarate as possible. Alot of people here sell mint items, as good as new!

Also, check www.mpbphotographic.co.uk as they are always good for value too

Mike

Hi, yes he's seen my work and they just can't afford for a professional. His other friend appears to have more experience than me so I'll be more of a back-up. I will definitely get loads of practice in, it was more to ask which lens is the best for this kind of work.

Thanks Sam for the info on hiring in particular, v helpful.

good look Space.
I would get a model/friend/dog in a white dress in daylight and practice correctly exposing the dress, including using a fill flash for outdoors.

All Excellent tips guys n gals!

Only thing I can add is going to both the venue of the wedding and the reception and scoping out some interesting places to take shots and get a list into your head of what group shots you could do where.

Oh and buy memory cards... lots of them. And some extra batteries. Both are cheap but invaluable on the day.

Good Luck! Tis scary but well worth it!

I did a wedding for a mate on the principle that i was a pro-am.

kit used:
Canon 450D + battery grip (lasted alll day)
Canon 50mm lens (good for the low-light shoot in the church when the vic said no to flash)
Canon zoom kit lens.
Metz digital flash.

didnt need spare batteries or spare memory card (although I took them!)

The most useful peice of kit...

Small stepladder
An assistant (friend) to liase with the bestman to get the "group" photo's done and work down the list of "must have" pictures.

Was I bricking it? Yes.
Did I have spare bodies and a plethora of lenses? No.
Did it turn out alright? Yes.

dont forget to shoot in RAW. :)

thanks for all the help and advice. I'll definitely get some practice in for black (groom) and white (bride) shots and take on board everything you've said. Thanks for the help everyone :eek:)

good look Space.
I would get a model/friend/dog in a white dress in daylight and practice correctly exposing the dress, including using a fill flash for outdoors.

:eek:

I have never seen a dog in a white dress, but what do I know, you lot are the experts!;)

Wanders off, humming, not looking back.

Each to their own.;)

:LOL::LOL:

A wedding is a one off event and it's a pressure job for a tog to do. Your kit certainly isn't ideal and will add to that stress. I'm not saying that it's impossible as you will get photos but they won't be the same as a Pro could produce. For example the lenses you have will mean that to shoot indoors you will need to up the ISO to allow the camera to record the image correctly and you will have to be very careful with backgrounds as you won't have the luxury of bluring the backgrounds by opening the aperture. On the subject of ISO how well does the D50 handle ISO, what is the maximum you can get away with a decent looking print? Shooting in some churches I have been known to use ISO1600 / 3200 on f2.8 @200mm to get an acceptable shutter speed; with your lenses you would need to push it to 6400 / 12800 if the D50 capable of that I suspect the image would be very noisy.

You mention you have a flash does it support TTL metering or is it a manual flash? If it's manual you may struggle with it if you aren't fully used to it as it will be another thing to think about. A flash will be handy to balance shaddows outside (fill in) and provide interesting effects at night if you drag the shutter. However, I personally see them as a nice to have as I avoid flash during the getting ready or ceremony (even if you are allowed) as it is distracting and prone to ugly flash shaddows unless you are very careful and use a decent diffuser.

People suggest having a backup camera as it is a one off event that cannot be repeated if any piece of equiment dies. As I get paid to shoot weddings I have a full spare kit (camera, f2.8 lenses and flash) in the car. If you decide to not have a spare you do run at a risk of not being able to finish the job. You mention that there will be two of you and this can help eliminate the need for spare everything but it does introduce other issues. Make sure you work together and make it clear who is shooting what before you get there otherwise you run the risk of having people looking at two different cameras and all the photos looking rubbish.

Things like visiting the venues, talking in advance to the B&G about what they want and what you can do will help you identify things that could go wrong. You should then think about how you can stop them from happening in the first place or what you would do if they did happen.

However, the biggest thing you need to think about is how would it affect the relationship between you and your friend if you screw up the wedding photos? I'm not saying you will, but it is a risk and you should prepare for it.

Also as suggested do a search of the forums as the subject of weddings have come up in the past and there are some great advice out there.

BTW I am really impressed at the quality of the responses here; either the forum is calming down or there is a stunning job of moderation being done. Either way :clap: to us (or the mods).

Excellent advice Simon. Especially about meeting up with the 2nd tog to ensure all shots are covered and that you do not end up treading on each others toes (metaphorically and practically!).

I have been keeping an eye and have not seen any moderation (or need for) occurring.

Nice one TP (y)

Shoot raw and use CTS 1/2 gel on the flash.

:eek:
I have never seen a dog in a white dress, but what do I know, you lot are the experts!;)
Wanders off, humming, not looking back.
Each to their own.;)
:LOL::LOL:

OK not one of my best images but still a dog in a white dress

LOL cheers for the back up
what I meant was...and I'm sure that you know it...however, you can, get used to exposure large dresses which are white...correctly
it's a pain in my limited and non-pro experience

LOL cheers for the back up
what I meant was...and I'm sure that you know it...however, you can, get used to exposure large dresses which are white...correctly
it's a pain in my limited and non-pro experience

I do feel in this instance though, that the big guy in the red should have been wearing the dress, and the dog would have looked better in the top hat, giving him/her a certain "je ne sais quoi".

And yes, I did know what you meant.;)

hire the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR either version I or II as its the Nikon users lens of choice.

Here's a nice link to get you started wedding how to

It has a nice basic shot list to get you started

oh one more thing - have fun!

Don't let taking the photos get in the way of having a good time...(it's different if it's a pro-Gig as you'll appreciate - then, you should sweat!!!).

Nice one Rob... (y)

I was scared for a minute there.... :)

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for all the advice. The wedding shots went well and the bride and groom were pleased with the photos! Thanks again everyone!

Nice one (y)

Glad you had a successful day. Stick around and develop the hobby?

The range of your lenses is fine its just making sure that the quality is good enough for what your friend wants,if its a good day and you can stop down to around f8 you should be ok but if you are shooting wide open the limitations of kit lenses may show up

The range of your lenses is fine its just making sure that the quality is good enough for what your friend wants,if its a good day and you can stop down to around f8 you should be ok but if you are shooting wide open the limitations of kit lenses may show up

:LOL: Failure to read thread/first post date!

Wedding already done and dusted!

Glad it all went well, I'm in the same boat today, doing my best friend's wedding which meant I had to give up best man duties, but I was desperate to have a crack at it and they're on a budget as they went down the having kids route first, so I was happy to help out. I'm fairly confident with the kit and have hired a 70-200 2.8 from lensesforhire. I don't know who's more nervous, me or the groom :D

add FF 35mm Prime lens (to equiv 56mm on FF)

I Used just a 50mm for weddings for 10 years in the film days, concentrate on the images rather than keep changing the lens...

Al'

without getting into the *******s of it all

50mm 1.8 for cheap but good
tamron/sigma etc 17-55(ideally) or 24-70 2.8 focal lengths as the bit more expensive option

I had a mini bet with myself that by about post #4 or #5 this was going to get messy :bat:

Alas, I lost the bet :(

Well done everyone for not giving this chap a hard time!

And OP, congrats, hope it went well and the happy couple are pleased with their shots :clap:

Chap!! I'm a chapette! How stereotypical ;) Yeah let me post a couple of photos here hold on!

Back