Equipment Needed For Professional Wedding Photography

Name
Scotty
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

So I'm looking to start my journey into wedding photography shortly, and this is just a base question as to what would be needed from an equipment perspective to set up as a professional?

I own (and am in the process of buying) the following equipment:

Nikon D750 Camera body
Nikon D7200 Camera body
35mm Nikkor 1.8 prime lens
17-55mm 2.8 Sigma lens
105mm Sigma prime lens
85mm Nikkor 1.8 lens
2x 64GB high speed memory cards

Now obviously I know that I am missing some important pieces of kit, but I want your opinions on what I am missing and what is most important. Would I need a flashgun? Idea's of what tripod's to buy etc. will be very helpful.

Many thanks all,

Scott

Never done it but I would imagine at least :

best tripod and head you can afford, several extra batteries, bags / cases, more memory cards, good flash gun ( possibly will need to go deeper into lighting I would imagine ) lightmeter might help.

This might sound harsh and unhelpful however Weddings are one of the most complex and pitfall filled niches of photography. Theres no "practise" ground (well unless you can get in as a assistant/second shooter) and therefore no real room for error. It might sound a bit chicken and egg, with the how do you get experience without getting out there and doing and the you need to be ready to actually do. This suggests there isn't really a getting into Wedding photography process apart from being 100% comfortable with how to problem solve. 90% of the time the lighting is ok but the really preparation is for those 10% times. The book: Shooting in Sh*tty Light: The Top Ten Worst Photography Lighting Situations and How to Conquer Them is quite a useful primer

Never done it but I would imagine at least :

best tripod and head you can afford, several extra batteries, bags / cases, more memory cards, good flash gun ( possibly will need to go deeper into lighting I would imagine ) lightmeter might help.
:rolleyes::bat:;)

I'm not a wedding photographer, but don't think you'd need a tripod (not right away anyway).

I can't think of any scenarios where you'd want to slow your shutter down that much where you couldn't hand hold it. Unless you're getting super creative shots using a remote shutter, light painting etc. Happy to be proven wrong.

You may need something with a longer reach i.e. a 70-200, but you could always rent this as and when you need it (scout your venues before hand).
Flashes are a must, so a couple of those on the camera on the time (or at least when for the evening part of the day).
Maybe a strobe too

Hi Scott

As per @GTG never done or as @jamesev outlines what you are planning to do is way far more than just about the equipment!

Can I ask:-
Do you have a day job and how much time will you be allocating to making your plan come true/work?

Have you ever been in sales?

Have you done to date any sort of "social photography" such as a family group or maybe actors headshots?

Have got plans in place to market yourself, if so what is your target market?
Have you factored in the costs of such marketing?

Talking of cost ~ Do you know your CODB (Costs Of Doing Business) as such how much you need to earn before you make a profit and hence to actually make a living out of wedding photography?

I have no wish to pour cold water on your dream..........but there is, to repeat myself, more to what you are planning than simply having a bag full nice gear!

Last edited:
Hi Scott

As per @GTG never done or as @jamesev outlines what you are planning to do is way far more than just about the equipment!

Do you have a day job and how much time will you be allocating to making your plan come true/work?

Have you done to date any sort of "social photography" such as a family group or maybe actors headshots?

Talking of cost ~ Do you know your CODB (Costs Of Doing Business) as such how much you need to earn before you make a profit and hence to actually make a living out of wedding photography?

I have no wish to pour cold water on your dream..........but there is, to repeat myself, more to what you are planning than simply having a bag full nice gear!
Yes I think I was getting at. If you are planning on doing it as a sideline please think about the cost of wedding photography, including things like travel, liability insurance etc into the cost of actually doing business. If you charge say £500 because this is what you need but this is actually subsidised what message is this giving out, that wedding photography costs £500 so all those who charge £1500+ are actually ripping off customers.

Hi Scott,

best advice I could give is do some environmental & studio portraiture first, develop a 'style' then you will be able to answer your own question as to equipment that you would need for wedding photography.

I think by asking the question you have you are not ready to embark on the profession just yet but everybody has to start somewhere so good luck.

(If it is poring with rain how are you going to take photographs on the day?)

Many thanks to all of you for your feedback.

@Box Brownie firstly thank you for your comments. I do have a day job, but my plan is to allocate one day every weekend and three evenings (three hours per evening) to editing, working on a viable website to promote my services etc.

Never worked in sales, but I'm assuming by asking this question I will need a level of sales experience?

I do social photography. I haven't been doing it long, but I do couples photography and the occasional shoot on location with individuals (mostly outside as natural light always brings out the best features).

In terms of marketing, and costs, in all honesty I haven't thought that far in front. I'd just first like to get comfortable shooting at weddings, but as @jamesev mentioned, it's a bit of a 'jump in at the deep end' situation.

I have been photographing wrestling and boxing for close to two years now, but my only real concern is low light, and being able to get good photo's in low light situations. That is where I think I'd need the most help.

Hey @Fraser Euan White thank you so much for your feedback.

I've been doing quite a bit of environmental photography recently, mainly out in parks and taking portraits in different locations, I'm finding that I really like natural light from overcast skies, as it distributes well onto headshots and creates shadows where I like them (instead of under the eyes etc)

I have a lens hood and waterproof cover for the lens and body of my camera as well. although I've so far never had to use it.

Hi Scott

Who said they only think its about equipment. Your so patronising its unbelievable

If anyone is thinking about setting up as a professional (at any sort of job) then I think some form of apprenticeship, training and a good level of experience of successfully doing the specific job would be more important than considering what equipment may or may not be needed at this stage?

The fact that you've asked if you'll need a "flashgun" sets my alarm bells ringing that you may not know an awful lot about wedding photography? If this is the case, I think you should be researching the job and getting to know it inside and out through practical experience before you ask what kit you'll need to set up as a professional wedding photographer. Once you know the job, what kit you'll need should become fairly obvious to you.

Please don't think I'm being harsh or critical here or trying to destroy someone's dreams or aspirations, I just don't want to see someone spend a load of money and then find out the hard way that there's a lot more to the job than they initially thought. I'm not a wedding photographer (so I'm not someone trying to put off potential competitors!) but I know enough about it to know that I don't know enough about it to even consider doing it - despite owning some of the kit (including a couple of flashes and a diffuser or two - which I'm only just beginning to learn how to use effectively!). If I wanted to become a wedding photographer it would be experience and training that I sought first (and lots of it), not a kit list. I hope this is helpful and useful. (y)

Last edited:
If anyone is thinking about setting up as a professional (at any sort of job) then I think some form of apprenticeship, training and a good level of experience of successfully doing the specific job would be more important than considering what equipment may or may not be needed at this stage?

The fact that you've asked if you'll need a "flashgun" sets my alarm bells ringing that you may not know an awful lot about wedding photography? If this is the case, I think you should be researching the job and getting to know it inside and out through practical experience before you ask what kit you'll need to set up as a professional wedding photographer. Once you know the job, what kit you'll need should become fairly obvious to you.

Please don't think I'm being harsh or critical here or trying to destroy someone's dreams or aspirations, I just don't want to see someone spend a load of money and then find out the hard way that there's a lot more to the job than they initially thought. I'm not a wedding photographer (so I'm not someone trying to put off potential competitors!) but I know enough about it to know that I don't know enough about it to even consider doing it - despite owning some of the kit (including a couple of flashes and a diffuser or two - which I'm only just beginning to learn how to use effectively!). If I wanted to become a wedding photographer it would be experience and training that I sought first (and lots of it), not a kit list. I hope this is helpful and useful. (y)

Absolutely. I don't take it as harsh at all. I need your opinion. I'm actually going to be getting some practical experience next month at two weddings of friends (I'm going to be the second photographer, so that experience will be invaluable.

In regards to lighting, I'm just concerned as its the one part of my photography portfolio that I am slightly unfamiliar with (I shoot outdoors mostly and use natural lighting).

Usual disclaimer.. I don't often photograph weddings.

Why 2 different bodies? If it were me I'd want them to be identical - but fit one with a short lens e.g. 24-70 and one with a long one e.g. 70-200. Lens wise I'd leave it at that - and frankly you could manage without the long one.

You'll need a lot more memory cards. Each body will take 2 and you'll be filling them. Don't forget to budget for your data backup systems too.

Plenty of wedding photographers don't use flash; it sounds like you have enough to learn without going down that route.

In other words: don't go and spend lots of money just yet.. except on training.

I would want two of the same bodies (D750) along with a lot of spare cards/batteries/etc. Your lens choices don't make a lot of sense to me; of those I would want the 17-55 and the 105 if it is a macro lens. If you are thinking that the f/1.8 primes are going to get you out of trouble in low light situations, it's not really going to work. I'd also want a longer lens like the 70-200/4...

I would not generally use a tripod for wedding/event type photography... a lot of it is about being in the right place at the right time. And often "the right place" is somewhere other than exactly where you are (hopefully it's only a foot or so away).
As Jamesev noted, another big aspect is knowing what to do when the lighting/situation aren't great (although I would say it's a lot more often than 10% of the time).

I'll be honest, I have an issue with "natural light only" photographers. I have no issue with choosing to shoot with natural light because it suits, i.e. a light overcast because it's flattering, golden hour, etc... My issue is with being dependent on it. That's fine for a hobbyist, and maybe even for a semi-professional where the shoots can be worked around the weather and the locations are of your choosing... but otherwise it's a huge negative IMO. Of course you cannot control the weather and "lighting" isn't always going to be a suitable solution in a fast paced/variable situation (or even allowed). The key is knowing how to work with what you have in order to get images that don't look like your typical snapshot.

The best practice for wedding work I can think of is event photography... things like street fairs and open air/public concerts; at all hours and in all lighting conditions. The static/planned shots of a wedding are required and should not be in question. You will have to be able to execute those (when/where/how). But IMO those are not the shots that make a great wedding album/memories, it's the more random/spontaneous moments that make the difference.

I have to admit to wondering why people who clearly don't shoot whatever subject is asked about are so keen to give advice on something they know nowt about :D

So - just to answer the OP's kit question..

You have more & better kit than I did when I started out shooting Weddings :)

Ideally, you'd have 2 camera bodies the same, and ideally both the D750 as a Nikon user. You are quite likely to need a flash (or two) at some point too, but any make that does a decent job of iTTL will do, it/they doesn't have to be Nikon

Just looking at my stats and over 90% of my shots are with either a 35mm or 85mm lens, both on a D750. I only really use flash at 1st dance and that's more of a style thing really, many never use a flash at all ever, that's their style - its different rather than wrong, neither way is wrong

I've only ever used a tripod for blending multiple fireworks shots and you certainly don't need one for any normal Wedding coverage, and nor do you need a lightmeter other than what's in your camera (or a flashmeter for that matter even if you get into OCF work too)

As @Scott Hammond didn't ask about how to be a Wedding tog I'll add nothing more, other than to say its the best job I can ever imagine having, but yes, there's a vast amount of stuff you need to do well that has nothing to do with taking pretty pictures

Good luck

Dave

Absolutely. I don't take it as harsh at all. I need your opinion. I'm actually going to be getting some practical experience next month at two weddings of friends (I'm going to be the second photographer, so that experience will be invaluable.

In regards to lighting, I'm just concerned as its the one part of my photography portfolio that I am slightly unfamiliar with (I shoot outdoors mostly and use natural lighting).
I'm glad you didn't take offence at my comments, it's always a bit of a gamble that people don't read things the wrong way. As for artificial lighting, I used to hate using flash years ago back in the days of film, I found it cast shadows and took the atmosphere out of a lot of shots, and with film you didn't know what you'd got till you'd had it developed and got the results back - so learning wasn't quick or cheap! I therefore only used flash if it was too dark to get a shot any other way.

These days, it's a different story, TTL flash metering has been improved (not to mention invented, and made intelligent!) and so have add-on diffusers; most high-spec flash units will allow + & - compensation on the flash, which can be used in conjunction with + & - exposure compensation on the camera to get all sorts of nice lighting effects, which you can now check instantly on the camera (or preferably a tablet or computer screen) to make sure you've got the result you wanted, and to get instant feedback when practicing. So it's a different world these days, and not one I think can be ignored by a photographer who does commercial portrait work (which is certainly a big part of what wedding photography really is - unless we get to the arty f*rty type 'tiny couples in the landscape' shots!).

So I'd strongly suggest you learn about how to effectively use flash. I was recommended a book called 'The Speedliters Handbook' by Syl Arena, which I'm only part way through reading. It concentrates on Canon Speedlite units but the general 'how to' information will be transferrable to Nikon users (unless a dedicated Nikon book is available?). Unfortunately, the book is out of print at the moment (I think an updated copy is being published later this year) so second hand prices of the first and second edition books are a bit high at the moment, but if you can find a copy at an affordable price then it's probably well worth thinking about.

Last edited:
Just looking at my stats and over 90% of my shots are with either a 35mm or 85mm lens, both on a D750.
You're a prime shooter and I would bet that is because either; those are the lenses that were mounted to the cameras at the time, or that is the wide and long limits of the lenses you have readily available.

That's just the way it works; when you want wide it's usually at/near the limit of what you can get, and the same when you want long. When it's in-between the exact FL doesn't really matter that much (personally, I would choose a 105/2.8 macro over an 85/1.8). And when you're a prime shooter one tends to use whatever lens is on the camera at the moment unless it is entirely unsuitable and time is on your side (simultaneously).

You're a prime shooter and I would bet that is because either; those are the lenses that were mounted to the cameras at the time, or that is the wide and long limits of the lenses you have readily available.

That's just the way it works; when you want wide it's usually at/near the limit of what you can get, and the same when you want long. When it's in-between the exact FL doesn't really matter that much (personally, I would choose a 105/2.8 macro over an 85/1.8). And when you're a prime shooter one tends to use whatever lens is on the camera at the moment unless it is entirely unsuitable and time is on your side (simultaneously).

Then you'd be a poor guesser lol - I have both MUCH wider and longer, but choose those focal lengths as they are best suited to what & how I shoot

I'm guessing when you have a zoom then you just shoot at either end? The middle being a bit too boring lol

One of the UK's top Wedding togs shoots most of his Wedding on one camera with a 50mm lens, only going wider for groups. That's too restrictive for me

Dave

The importance of being a professional, not just wedding photography is preparation, preparation to deal with every scenario, as many as possible.

You are faced with a tiny room to shoot with very few angles – what do you do?

It is winter, the sun sets at 4:30pm, the entire wedding breakfast and speeches is in low lit tungsten light, what do you do?

The ceiling is in a room for the first dance that has black walls and ceiling, what do you do? (or in a room with glass on 3 sides) One means bounce flash won’t work, one means it’s like a mirror !

All of the sudden the toastmaster calls out it is time to cut the cake and you haven’t even put the flash on the camera, what do you do?

On the day it rains, all the outdoor activities are cancelled, what do you do for group photos or formals?

You have been shooting candids (this is 10pm) and it is a semi open venue so you can’t bounce flash, all the sudden the cake was pushed out with sparklers and candles on it and the couple are going to cut it. You might need to adjust your camera and flash settings….what do you do?

The couple asks if you can get some shots from the balcony of the ceremony as she walks down the aisle as well as the normal photos from eye level, you don’t have an assistant, what do you do?

The couple seen one of your photos and would like one just like it (but obviously venue, lighting are all different) what do you do?

The bride asks you to photograph only from a certain angle because she thinks that is her favourite side, what do you do?

The bride shows you a photo from Instagram of a photo from a complete stranger they like, what do you do?

The bride calls up and say “the groom’s mum is not looking too good (she is in her final days from Cancer), she probably won’t make it over the weekend and would like to see the photos before she passes” What do you do? (remember you have a day job)

Those are just a small sample of the problems I was faced with, not only you need to have the gear to get you out of trouble to get the shot that you need, you need to know exactly what gear that you need. Can you see a photo from Instagram and work out at least roughly what you need to get that? From focal length, tripod, flash etc? Can you think on your feet fast enough when you set up the lighting for say cake cutting, then all of the sudden they turn off all the ambient light and then goes straight into first dance?

There are soooo much you need to know inside your head, and to be calm under pressure, and when you have enough experience, you could in theory shoot the whole wedding with a single prime lens with or without a flash and shoot it in a unique style that makes sense so the whole day flows seamlessly and natural. There is so much to learn, and so much of it unexpected, and it is hard to prepare someone for that on paper or a forum.

I can answer this one:

All of the sudden the toastmaster calls out it is time to cut the cake and you haven’t even put the flash on the camera, what do you do?

Punch the $%^& repeatedly in the face until the blood covering it is the same colour as his $%^*ing coat.

As Dave passed it by as he’s a much nicer bloke than me...

My answer to ‘what gear do I need to shoot weddings’ has been the same for 20 years.

If you have to ask what gear you need, you’re not ready.

Sorry, but that’s the honest truth. I’m not discouraging the OP, like Dave I think it’s a great job, and it’s not difficult (so long as you know what you’re doing), so he should have a go.

But ask 3 wedding photographers what’s the right gear and you’ll get at least 3 answers, the right gear for @Scott Hammond is likely not the right gear for me, or Dave, or Raymond.

And more importantly, ask 3 photographers how they market their business and you’ll get 20 different answers, and they’re fundamentals, whereas I ‘could’ shoot a wedding with a wide variety of kit, I can only book weddings in the way I know.

As for gear, I’m confident that neither Dave, Raymond or I haven’t used a tripod at a wedding in the last 10 years, but you will need flash at some point (which means at least 2 (3 would be better) and redundancy in everything (which doesn’t mean 2 of everything)

The importance of being a professional, not just wedding photography is preparation, preparation to deal with every scenario, as many as possible.

You are faced with a tiny room to shoot with very few angles – what do you do?

It is winter, the sun sets at 4:30pm, the entire wedding breakfast and speeches is in low lit tungsten light, what do you do?

The ceiling is in a room for the first dance that has black walls and ceiling, what do you do? (or in a room with glass on 3 sides) One means bounce flash won’t work, one means it’s like a mirror !

On the day it rains, all the outdoor activities are cancelled, what do you do for group photos or formals?

You have been shooting candids (this is 10pm) and it is a semi open venue so you can’t bounce flash, all the sudden the cake was pushed out with sparklers and candles on it and the couple are going to cut it. You might need to adjust your camera and flash settings….what do you do?

The couple asks if you can get some shots from the balcony of the ceremony as she walks down the aisle as well as the normal photos from eye level, you don’t have an assistant, what do you do?

The couple seen one of your photos and would like one just like it (but obviously venue, lighting are all different) what do you do?

The bride asks you to photograph only from a certain angle because she thinks that is her favourite side, what do you do?

The bride shows you a photo from Instagram of a photo from a complete stranger they like, what do you do?

The bride calls up and say “the groom’s mum is not looking too good (she is in her final days from Cancer), she probably won’t make it over the weekend and would like to see the photos before she passes” What do you do? (remember you have a day job)

Those are just a small sample of the problems I was faced with, not only you need to have the gear to get you out of trouble to get the shot that you need, you need to know exactly what gear that you need. Can you see a photo from Instagram and work out at least roughly what you need to get that? From focal length, tripod, flash etc? Can you think on your feet fast enough when you set up the lighting for say cake cutting, then all of the sudden they turn off all the ambient light and then goes straight into first dance?

There are soooo much you need to know inside your head, and to be calm under pressure, and when you have enough experience, you could in theory shoot the whole wedding with a single prime lens with or without a flash and shoot it in a unique style that makes sense so the whole day flows seamlessly and natural. There is so much to learn, and so much of it unexpected, and it is hard to prepare someone for that on paper or a forum.

That is easy to answer ...... call Raymond Lin!

The above is why I don't do weddings, I would not want to let a couple down on their special day. I have all the kit but stick to what I know. :)

As Dave passed it by as he’s a much nicer bloke than me...

My answer to ‘what gear do I need to shoot weddings’ has been the same for 20 years.

If you have to ask what gear you need, you’re not ready.

Sorry, but that’s the honest truth. I’m not discouraging the OP, like Dave I think it’s a great job, and it’s not difficult (so long as you know what you’re doing), so he should have a go.

But ask 3 wedding photographers what’s the right gear and you’ll get at least 3 answers, the right gear for @Scott Hammond is likely not the right gear for me, or Dave, or Raymond.

And more importantly, ask 3 photographers how they market their business and you’ll get 20 different answers, and they’re fundamentals, whereas I ‘could’ shoot a wedding with a wide variety of kit, I can only book weddings in the way I know.

As for gear, I’m confident that neither Dave, Raymond or I haven’t used a tripod at a wedding in the last 10 years, but you will need flash at some point (which means at least 2 (3 would be better) and redundancy in everything (which doesn’t mean 2 of everything)

Actually…..I do bring a tripod with me…..there are 2 kind of shots that I use it with

sjASK1a.jpg

MRSzZqV.jpg

wpxo4b9.jpg

wesBIpJ.jpg

and also do some exterior nights of the building.

IcsCkWo.jpg

JtVSwpA.jpg

But yes, you should know what gear you need, you should know at any given moment what lens you need, and if you didn't have that very lens on you at the time, and had to improvise….you can still pull it off. Like I was shooting room shots with a 20mm/1.4 and then got tapped on the shoulder to take a quick photo of 2 people. I did it and did it without them looking fisheye, you just got to know how.

Actually…..I do bring a tripod with me…..there are 2 kind of shots that I use it with

Actually I occasionally use a tripod as a lightstand too, but you kinda prove my point, different photographers have different styles which means different equipment.

As for the non-aggressive response to: "All of the sudden the toastmaster calls out it is time to cut the cake and you haven’t even put the flash on the camera, what do you do?".

Shout out in a loud voice in the direction of the offending toastmaster (and make sure he hears you!): "Not if the bride and groom want some photos it isn't! Hold on a moment please, while the photographer gets ready to weave his magic!" As long as you've got a twinkle in your eye when you take control of the moment I imagine you'd probably get away with it, and possibly even get a little laugh into the bargain. Even if everyone scowls at me I'd rather do that than have to explain to Mr & Mrs why there's no flipping photo of one of the key moments! :whistle:

Is that the right answer? If not, it's perhaps just as well I don't do weddings! :D

Last edited:
Fortunately I don’t come across many toastmasters (who have a reputation 2nd only to Anglican vicars for being difficult to deal with), the cake cutting is usually announced by the co ordinator or dj at my weddings, and I’ve always had a discussion beforehand.

In fact when we were recently caught out by the move of the speeches to before the meal, I asked the co ordinator to hold up whilst we collected lenses from the other end of the venue (long story - but proves you can handle anything if you are nice and take control rather than panicking).

Then you'd be a poor guesser lol - I have both MUCH wider and longer, but choose those focal lengths as they are best suited to what & how I shoot
Then it's the other... the 35 and 85 are what is mounted on the cameras and it's not worth the time/hassle to change it (if that's even a possibility). I'm not saying that can't work perfectly fine BTW. My comment regarding the OP's list was due to having the 17-55 and the 35, also the 85 and 105... I don't see the point to the overlap/closeness.
I'm guessing when you have a zoom then you just shoot at either end? The middle being a bit too boring lol
Yup. If it's the 24-70 most shots will be at/near either end. It's basically the same as your 35/85 setup just with one lens/body. And if it's the 70-200 the same is true... it'll likely be 150mm+ or I wouldn't have changed cameras. And then I'll stay with it near 70-85mm before switching back.

I guess what I'm saying is this kind of work is a bit sloppy. You probably need/want something wide-ish (~24-35) and something in the middle (~70-105), occasionally close focus/macro (ring/detail shots), and occasionally longer or wider... other than that, the specifics don't matter all that much... whatever suits you personally as long as the basics are covered.

One of the UK's top Wedding togs shoots most of his Wedding on one camera with a 50mm lens, only going wider for groups. That's too restrictive for me
I wouldn't want to do it, but I can kind of see it... a lot of times the perspective (distance) isn't really/completely your choice. In that case I can see shooting wider and just cropping for composition as long as the final output is going to be digital and smaller prints. IMO/E, if you're shooting with primes that's often the result anyway (if the 85 is too long then it's the 35, and move if you can/crop later if you can't).
I'd almost always rather have not enough FL than too much. I always shoot a little loose if I can, I never get horizons straight or compositions spot on in camera with this kind of stuff... does anyone?

I don't see the point to the overlap/closeness.
Redundancy.

Plain and simple, not that those lenses would be my 1st choice, nor indeed do we know which 35mm it is, so whether it’s a wide for ff or std for the crop, or both.

@Scott Hammond

Best advice I can give from my observations:

(1) Don't ask for advice on photography forums about being a pro wedding photographer

(2) if you are creative and imaginative you don't need much gear

(3) just go for it - you will soon find out if your work is good enough or if doing it professionally suits you - you have nothing to loose as you are still in employment :)

(4) Your own self criticism of your work and your clients feedback is all that matters - not the opinion of any person on here.

(5) Price yourself cheap to start with to undercut the established togs to ensure you get plenty of work/practice (look at these early stages as your apprenticeship) then as you improve increase your prices. If you are cheap, when you meet the couple you will be able to judge if you have the capability to provide what they want, if not you can turn the work down. there are plenty of couples out there that just want a basic service to record the day and don't wish to pay the extremely high prices some photographers demand.

(6) Most people are used to phone pics/social media snaps and a lot of couples just have this as their 'big day' memories so anything that is decent is wonderful to them.

Good luck and hope it works for you.

Last edited:
This my advice. Try and do some second shooting. This will give you some insight to wedding photography. You may find it’s not for you. If it’s is then you should look at how you want to shoot the day

@Scott Hammond

Best advice I can give from my observations:

(1) Don't ask for advice on photography forums about being a pro wedding photographer - most pro wedding photographers don't give helpful advice as i can only assume they don't want another competitor and want you and everyone else to believe how difficult a job it is. (It's an elite club don't you know!)

(2) if you are creative and imaginative you don't need much gear

(3) just go for it - you will soon find out if your work is good enough or if doing it professionally suits you - you have nothing to loose as you are still in employment :)

(4) Your own self criticism of your work and your clients feedback is all that matters - not the opinion of any person on here.

(5) Price yourself cheap to start with to undercut the established togs to ensure you get plenty of work/practice (look at these early stages as your apprenticeship) then as you improve increase your prices. If you are cheap, when you meet the couple you will be able to judge if you have the capability to provide what they want, if not you can turn the work down. there are plenty of couples out there that just want a basic service to record the day and don't wish to pay the extremely high prices some photographers demand.

(6) Most people are used to phone pics/social media snaps and a lot of couples just have this as their 'big day' memories so anything that is decent is wonderful to them.

Good luck and hope it works for you.
Just wow on many of these

:D so many people willing to offer advice on setting up a wedding photography business when all he asked was if his equipment was suitable.

The answer to the actual question is that yes it is suitable although maybe not ideal.

Having 2 camera bodies the same can make it easier to get the files all looking the same and can make it easier to switch between bodies. Lens choice is a matter of your own personal style and how you like to shoot.

2 x 64gb cards isn't enough. You will need 2 sets of cards for each camera one for the photos and one to back up as you are working. Additional cards are pretty much a must, what happens if you suffer card failure during the wedding for example?

As another example of why more cards will probably be needed, we have a wedding on Monday next week and another on Tuesday. We also have other work on Wednesday and Friday and then another wedding on Saturday. The wedding on Monday is going to mean a fair bit of travelling and we won't be back until late. It is unlikely that we will have the time to back everything up multiple times and clean the cards down ready for the next day so we need a fresh set of cards for the next wedding. A while back we bought a shed load of cards as for weddings we now like to keep the cards until the photos have been edited before wiping them as a last ditch back up. It is definitely over kill but cards are cheap and that's how we prefer to do it.

In terms of tripods, I have never used one at a wedding, but if you are the type of photographer that likes to do a lot of very staged, posed photographs you may need one.

Spare batteries are also a good idea for the same reasons as having multiple cards. You won't always have the time to get everything charged again for the next wedding, so it saves all the messing about.

Additional lighting is an absolute must, what are you going to do when it rains all day and you only have the option of shooting the portraits inside a dimly lit venue?

Asking about equipment for wedding photography is like asking how long is a bit of string everyone will have their own opinion based on what works best for them.

This is the kit we take to a wedding but worth bearing in mind that there is two of us. We have other kit as well so this list isn't exhaustive it is just what we take to most weddings.

Camera Bodies

Nikon D750 X 4
Nikon D850 X1 (This is our spare on the wedding day and lives in the car just in case we suffer a camera failure, we both always need 2 camera bodies.)

Main Lenses

Sigma Art 20mm f/1.4
Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4
Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 85mm f/1.4

Back up Lens

Nikon 24-70 f/2.8

Speciality lens (these live in a bag in the car and are only taken out when we need them which is rare)

Nikon 16-35mm f/4
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Macro

Lighting

2 x Nikon SB-700
2 x Godox v860ii
3 x Godox AD200 along with some lighting stands and modifiers (these mostly live in the car and are only pulled out when needed.

Accessories

Bags
Battery Grips
Spare Batteries
Multiple spare cards
Reflector (we use this a lot after the ceremony for the bride & groom portraits)
Lens pen and lens cloth
Prism

Think that is pretty much everything we use to photograph a wedding, the odd time we will also take a Nikon 45mm tilt shift but not so much these days.

At the other end is also the equipment and software we use for editing and storage but the o.p never asked about that.

Last edited:
:D so many people willing to offer advice on setting up a wedding photography business when all he asked was if his equipment was suitable.

The answer to the actual question is that yes it is suitable although maybe not ideal.

Having 2 camera bodies the same can make it easier to get the files all looking the same and can make it easier to switch between bodies. Lens choice is a matter of your own personal style and how you like to shoot.

2 x 64gb cards isn't enough. You will need 2 sets of cards for each camera one for the photos and one to back up as you are working. Additional cards are pretty much a must, what happens if you suffer card failure during the wedding for example?

As another example of why more cards will probably be needed, we have a wedding on Monday next week and another on Tuesday. We also have other work on Wednesday and Friday and then another wedding on Saturday. The wedding on Monday is going to mean a fair bit of travelling and we won't be back until late. It is unlikely that we will have the time to back everything up multiple times and clean the cards down ready for the next day so we need a fresh set of cards for the next wedding. A while back we bought a shed load of cards as for weddings we now like to keep the cards until the photos have been edited before wiping them as a last ditch back up. It is definitely over kill but cards are cheap and that's how we prefer to do it.

In terms of tripods, I have never used one at a wedding, but if you are the type of photographer that likes to do a lot of very staged, posed photographs you may need one.

Spare batteries are also a good idea for the same reasons as having multiple cards. You won't always have the time to get everything charged again for the next wedding, so it saves all the messing about.

Additional lighting is an absolute must, what are you going to do when it rains all day and you only have the option of shooting the portraits inside a dimly lit venue?
Took a while but the OP finally got what he was asking for

Took a while but the OP finally got what he was asking for
I think he also got some suggestions and comments that will be just as important to him as the kit he uses. I think these were on topic, unless of course this has become the Talk Kit forum, not the Talk Photography forum, as I sometimes begin to wonder! ;)

I think he also got some suggestions and comments that will be just as important to him as the kit he uses. I think these were on topic, unless of course this has become the Talk Kit forum, not the Talk Photography forum, as I sometimes begin to wonder! ;)
Erm this post is in the Talk Equipment section

Asking about equipment for wedding photography is like asking how long is a bit of string everyone will have their own opinion based on what works best for them.

This is the kit we take to a wedding but worth bearing in mind that there is two of us. We have other kit as well so this list isn't exhaustive it is just what we take to most weddings.

Camera Bodies

Nikon D750 X 4
Nikon D850 X1 (This is our spare on the wedding day and lives in the car just in case we suffer a camera failure, we both always need 2 camera bodies.)

Main Lenses

Sigma Art 20mm f/1.4
Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4
Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 85mm f/1.4

Back up Lens

Nikon 24-70 f/2.8

Speciality lens (these live in a bag in the car and are only taken out when we need them which is rare)

Nikon 16-35mm f/4
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Macro

Lighting

2 x Nikon SB-700
2 x Godox v860ii
3 x Godox AD200 along with some lighting stands and modifiers (these mostly live in the car and are only pulled out when needed.

Accessories

Bags
Battery Grips
Spare Batteries
Multiple spare cards
Reflector (we use this a lot after the ceremony for the bride & groom portraits)
Lens pen and lens cloth
Prism

Think that is pretty much everything we use to photograph a wedding, the odd time we will also take a Nikon 45mm tilt shift but not so much these days.

At the other end is also the equipment and software we use for editing and storage but the o.p never asked about that.

..............I'm sure you didn't take all this kit on your very first shoot though?

You need very little kit to start with. (you can then decide what you need as you grow).

Like i said previously it depends what standard you set when you start out. Price according to that standard and there will be many satisfied customers who just want a 'cheap' record of the day. Judge what the couple are after when you meet them and if it is initially beyond what you can do turn the job down. (most people are reasonable and only get upset if you promise something you can not deliver!)

So many of the pro's on here will try to put you off - It's your business and do what you want; don't be dis-heartened by the replies on here.

I've shot ten Weddings in my film days and everyone was extremely happy with the results; they wanted an 'affordable to them' product that I provided.

Kit I used:
Nikon FE2
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Tamron Adaptall 2 70-210mm
Metz CT45 flashgun
Tripod
Reflector
A bag to put it in.

Last edited:
Back