Equipment required

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just purchased my first digital camera {a Canon 400 with a 18-55 & 70-300 lens.
My question is, I hope to take up landscape photography, what other equipment {filters ect.} will I require.
Thanking you in anticipation

Might I recommend using the default font and size ;)

Other than that, a tripod would be useful too but otherwise if you're just starting out then you might as well just stick with the camera and the 18-55mm lens. Wider/Sharper lenses can come later when you're happy then you still like doing landscapes and you can also use that time to read up on what filters you might want.

Welcome to the world of photography and wet mornings haha.

Id say invest in some kood p type filters. You can get a set of 1stop and 2stop hard grads and 1 and 2 stop solid filters plus an adapter for around £45 from premier inks.

A sturdy tripod is a must, I dislike ball heads as I can never get them level.

A hit shoe spirit level is also handy and a shutter release. Both of which you can get dirt cheap on ebay.

And other questions message me at www.facebook.com/phillbarrattphotography
Ill be happy to help

Thank you all for the info. It seems that everyone agrees that I need a good tripod. This I will purchase next.
Once again thanks

Thank you all for the info. It seems that everyone agrees that I need a good tripod. This I will purchase next.
Once again thanks

Hi, Just remember even though you may be starting out when it comes to a tripod you only get what you pay for!!
Pay £25 for a cheap alloy one and then travel 30 miles to a point you want to take your photo from, one of three things will happen at some point, (1) The leg/s will break off the tripod or (2) It will be so windy that the alloy tripod gets blown over with your camera and lens on it (3) you travel 30 miles back home and take up golf!!!!
Russ

If you're really new to photography then I'd start off with a good book or several on landscapes - then go out and try to replicate some of the sort of images you like - then find out why you are struggling

Aside from slow shutter speeds I rarely use a tripod for landscape work and NEVER any filters; though I do totally agree with Russ that if you are buying a tripod anything under £100 is probably a waste of time/money (mine's about £200 all in and tbh I wish I'd spent a bit more sometimes). Adding - hotshoe spirit levels are rubbish IMHO and cable releases are unnecessary too - see, I'm disagreeing with someone above already on what you should buy - confusing innit :LOL:

So learn the craft first and spend later when you a) know what you're trying to do and b) that it needs a bit of gear you haven't got

Dave

Last edited:
Last edited:
The problem with these posts is you've opened it up to everyone suggesting loads of gadgets to use before you've had a go.

I think you should go out and take some photo's then when you start needing more kit to achieve desired results then you can ask the question again.

You certainly don't need a cable release or a spirit level, besides even if you use a level or, someone will always complain that you did'nt straighten the edge of the lake or mountains or whatever regardless of any oposing physics.

The problem with these posts is you've opened it up to everyone suggesting loads of gadgets to use before you've had a go.

I think you should go out and take some photo's then when you start needing more kit to achieve desired results then you can ask the question again.

You certainly don't need a cable release or a spirit level, besides even if you use a level or, someone will always complain that you did'nt straighten the edge of the lake or mountains or whatever regardless of any oposing physics.

Errr read post 7 ;)

Dave

If you're really new to photography then I'd start off with a good book or several on landscapes - then go out and try to replicate some of the sort of images you like - then find out why you are struggling

Aside from slow shutter speeds I rarely use a tripod for landscape work and NEVER any filters; though I do totally agree with Russ that if you are buying a tripod anything under £100 is probably a waste of time/money (mine's about £200 all in and tbh I wish I'd spent a bit more sometimes). Adding - hotshoe spirit levels are rubbish IMHO and cable releases are unnecessary too - see, I'm disagreeing with someone above already on what you should buy - confusing innit :LOL:

So learn the craft first and spend later when you a) know what you're trying to do and b) that it needs a bit of gear you haven't got

Dave

How it a spirit level pointless? How else do you level a shot without doing so in pp n cropping areas out? And a cable release is far from pointless. What else you going to do listen to that self timer all day or just hope you dont knock the camera when shooting?

How it a spirit level pointless? How else do you level a shot without doing so in pp n cropping areas out? And a cable release is far from pointless. What else you going to do listen to that self timer all day or just hope you dont knock the camera when shooting?

I had a joiner here build me a kitchen, funnily enough his spirit level was over a metre long, how you can honestly trust something less than an inch to be accurate is beyond me - aside from which, proper cameras, like my Nikons :LOL: have their own built in levels which prove to be highly accurate

And landscape photography is rarely about LONG exposures, although that is the current vogue to have everything blurred. He's new to landscapes and needs to master normal photography first, which certainly doesn't require a cable release - or even a tripod for that matter

Dave

Agree with Dave. I've never understood the need for a tripod and all that stuff for landscapes. Apart from deliberately long exposures, why would you need one? Or a cable release. Or a spirit level - they're rarely accurate, especially the ones built into tripod heads, and the virtual levels that some cameras have are often not 100%.

For great landscapes, first find a great landscape, and some great light. The best view is rarely 10 yards from the car, and the best light is usually around dawn rather than just after lunch.

I had a joiner here build me a kitchen, funnily enough his spirit level was over a metre long, how you can honestly trust something less than an inch to be accurate is beyond me - aside from which, proper cameras, like my Nikons :LOL: have their own built in levels which prove to be highly accurate

And landscape photography is rarely about LONG exposures, although that is the current vogue to have everything blurred. He's new to landscapes and needs to master normal photography first, which certainly doesn't require a cable release - or even a tripod for that matter

Dave

Well done blowin smoke up yourself. Mine also has a built in level... good aint it. And as for the tripod I havent heard such rubbish in a long time. Most landscape shots are taken 1st and last thing with very little light at small apartures. Are you telling me you can hand hold at 1/15 then? He has chosen a subject he likes. And yes its very important to master the basics but the basics includes using a tripod.

@ David
The gear you have now will get you started.
You may want to add lens hoods (to prevent stray light hitting the front of your lens and causing flare), a spare battery and memory card.

You do indicate this is your first digital camera however you do not indicate your current skill levels. If you do not understand the basics (like exposure and light) then the suggestions to get some books or study some tutorials on the net is a good one.
The suggestions in post #7 are very good.

Well done blowin smoke up yourself. Mine also has a built in level... good aint it. And as for the tripod I havent heard such rubbish in a long time. Most landscape shots are taken 1st and last thing with very little light at small apartures. Are you telling me you can hand hold at 1/15 then? He has chosen a subject he likes. And yes its very important to master the basics but the basics includes using a tripod.

I guess we'll just have to disagree then - especially with this one...

Most landscape shots are taken 1st and last thing with very little light at small apartures

I will accept that SOME landscapes are taken in low light, but most ??? :shake:

I'm guessing you're the sort that thinks ALL landscapes need to be shot in the 'Golden hour' then, or at f16 and above, or all at 100 ISO, which is a wee bit :wacky: EDIT: there's a few nice shots on your Facebook page too bud, but 'most' don't appear to be shot in very low light; nice that you've been up in my neck of the woods too, Mam Tor at dawn is lovely isn't it (y)

And as it happens yes I can handhold at low shutter speeds when using wideangle lenses, having previously won a comp with an A3 print shot slower than 1/15th - but that's irrelevant - the OP is asking for advice on what gear he needs to get started, and the simple fact is he doesn't need a spirit level, cable release or tripod to get started. In time, that may well be the sort of very low light stuff he likes to do at which point he'll need a good tripod, but I've been shooting and teaching photography for 37 years and never needed a spirit level or cable release

But lets not bicker, I'm just trying to save the guy some money buying gear he doesn't need as yet, when he's finally figured it all out then maybe he'll want to shoot for more than 30 secs and then a timer release willl prove useful :)

Dave

Last edited:
Like others have commented - go out and take pictures and figure out what you can do to improve them :) Graduated filters are great but at that point you will probably want a tripod too.

I have a site that you might want to take a look at here:
http://www.outdoorsphotography.co.uk/category/articles/

There's things on composition, kit and a tiny bit on post processing too.

For the moment I'd stick with going out at all times of day and seeing how your camera works. Look through Flickr, 500Px etc and see which landscapes you like and how they work. Get a copy of Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure which will set you off in the right direction.

In time I'd recommend a tripod and cable release. Unlike Dave I believe they are an essential part of a landscape photographers kit. Whilst it is possible to manage without one of the things a tripod does is slow you down, if you're composing on a tripod you've got chance to get the composition exactly as you want, you choose what goes into the frame and, often more importantly, what doesn't go into the frame. I'm a former international team rifle shooter so have steadier hands than most and can shoot down to 1/2 a second without issue, I don't however, I use a tripod, for 99.9% of my shots.

I'd also recommend some filters, ND grads, a circular polariser and probably some solid ND filters but again they'll come, for the moment get out and learn how to take a well exposed, sharp and well composed photograph.

In my opinion though the most important bit of landscape photography is being in the right place at the right time, I plan my shots on The Photographer's Ephemeris, OS maps, google streetview, flickr maps taking into account weather forecasts, tide times, moon phases, all sorts. Yes, there is still an element of luck involved in getting the right light but I try and remove as much requirement for luck as possible.

Have fun, welcome to the forum and enjoy your photography.

Like others have commented - go out and take pictures and figure out what you can do to improve them :) Graduated filters are great but at that point you will probably want a tripod too.

I have a site that you might want to take a look at here:
http://www.outdoorsphotography.co.uk/category/articles/

There's things on composition, kit and a tiny bit on post processing too.

Nothing like a sneaky website plug!

Not really equipment but I would spend the money on travel costs :)
Once you find the limitations of your gear you will know what to buy.

The drawback of a tripod is that one steady enough for outdoor use will be heavy, so getting to good viewpoints can be a pain. I virtually never use one. (Or filters come to that, except a protective one when there is likely to be crud in the air - sea salt, rain, flying mud at sports, smoke at gigs).

Quite often there's a handy rock/wall/tree that will work, or you can rest your camera on your bag and use the shutter delay for long exposures.

And a bag is a vital bit of kit. A good one that will protect your camera from knocks and weather as well as leaving your hands free for scrambling. Also holds beer and sandwiches, which are absolutely essential for good photography. :)

9-12SymiIMG_4380lowrescopy_zpsafaa6bd0.jpg

Canon 5D II, 17-40L + uv filter.

30sesc, f/11, 400 ISO. Rested camera on a bollard!

The drawback of a tripod is that one steady enough for outdoor use will be heavy, so getting to good viewpoints can be a pain. I virtually never use one. (Or filters come to that, except a protective one when there is likely to be crud in the air - sea salt, rain, flying mud at sports, smoke at gigs).

Quite often there's a handy rock/wall/tree that will work, or you can rest your camera on your bag and use the shutter delay for long exposures.

And a bag is a vital bit of kit. A good one that will protect your camera from knocks and weather as well as leaving your hands free for scrambling. Also holds beer and sandwiches, which are absolutely essential for good photography. :)

Canon 5D II, 17-40L + uv filter.

30sesc, f/11, 400 ISO. Rested camera on a bollard!

Not to many bollards in the Peak district though... ill stick to a tripod

I've found a Bean Bag handy a bit heavy to carry about but handy for sitting the camera on

Not if you throw enough money at it, carbon fibre tripods are lovely.

Realistically though, I think any tripod is still a big heavy this to cart around I find. I've got a carbon fibre tripod, and I love it, but it's still clunky and an extra 2kg to port around that you have to strap to a bag rather than fitting inside it.

I take a tripod everywhere & I would say I use it 95% of the time,
The other 5% it's on a beanbag.
I've never found it too heavy as not to be worth it.

Realistically though, I think any tripod is still a big heavy this to cart around I find. I've got a carbon fibre tripod, and I love it, but it's still clunky and an extra 2kg to port around that you have to strap to a bag rather than fitting inside it.

You get used to it and the positives outweigh the negatives IME.

I use a carbon Gitzo mountaineer with Manfrotto 410 for jobs where I am likely to be walking or hiking a fair way, it's been down cliff edges, through rivers, along precarious ledges, the lot. I've a heavier Gitzo Explorer with 405 for when I am closer to the car.

Bear in mind when I am out I usually have two camera systems with me, with lenses for each, weight isn't a huge issue.

I agree that a tripod is an absolute must regardless of additional weight. You can always bracket shots etc if you don't have filters but can't get away with movement with long exposures and cant really rely on things to steady your camera in the field.

Not to many bollards in the Peak district though... ill stick to a tripod

Rocks, trees, car window, sign posts , partners shoulder, top of rucksac etc

I agree for an established photographer who knows they want to carry on shooting landscapes a decent tripod is a good idea ( I use a manfrotto 055) but for someone just starting out , he doesn't have to have one

I've also never used a hot shoe mounted spirit - I'd level the camera by eye, and I only use a cable release occasionally for very long exposures

Rocks, trees, car window, sign posts , partners shoulder, top of rucksac etc

I agree for an established photographer who knows they want to carry on shooting landscapes a decent tripod is a good idea ( I use a manfrotto 055) but for someone just starting out , he doesn't have to have one

I've also never used a hot shoe mounted spirit - I'd level the camera by eye, and I only use a cable release occasionally for very long exposures

Car window! Wth. Parners shoulder. Thats lazy

Last edited:
+1 for the above. Landscape photography book helped me soo much. So much I didn't understand, this book explains it soo easily.

Back