Review Equipment Reviews

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a list of the reviews sites I use.

The Digital Picture - very thorough coverage of Canon stuff
Fred Miranda - large numbers of user reviews, good for quick impressions
ePHOTOzine - very readable reviews, but not so comprehensive
photozone.de - probably the widest range of lenses reviewed
Ken Rockwell - opinionated and erratic, but readable, covers both Nikon and Canon
Thom Hogan - Nikon only, decent coverage but not comprehensive
Bjørn Rørslett - Nikon only, decent coverage but not comprehensive
photodo - extensive user and pro reviews of lenses
DPReview - the best reviews of cameras, not so hot on lenses yet
Luminous Landscape has a decent smattering of reviews

Would it be worth making this a sticky somewhere?

worth adding pentaxforums.com for us Pentax users out there
loads of reviews of all Pentax related equipment
especially good for Pentax + 3rd party Pentax fit lenses
well worth a visit (y)

I reckon Photozone and DP Review are around the most reliable equipment review sites. Based on comparing their findings with my own (I have access to a massive array of lenses due to work... as does Stewart, obviously) I can attest to the accuracy and impartiality of both those sites.

I use http://www.stevehuffphoto.com as well....I like his real world attitude towards equipment...To me output is key opposed to lab specs...

Always like the reviews here
www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras

down to earth, comprehensive and readable.

Awesome, These will come in handy. Looking at upgrading my 550d to a 70d. Spent a good week non stop researching and just watching videos. Excited about getting some nice new glass to match. It's like christmas! ... sorry

Good list, Stewart.

The Digital Picture and Luminous Landscape are both great sites, the former is far more prolific.

Don't get me started on Ken Rockwell, beware, if you read his reviews pay close attention; there are some of his articles labelled as reviews where he hasn't even had his hands on the gear!

www.reidreviews.com is a fantastic resource. Subscription is $32.95 a year. The detail he goes into reviewing & comparing lenses and cameras is unparalleled in my opinion. Covering SLR, Mirrorless & Rangefinders.

www.reidreviews.com is a fantastic resource. Subscription is $32.95 a year. The detail he goes into reviewing & comparing lenses and cameras is unparalleled in my opinion. Covering SLR, Mirrorless & Rangefinders.
Waste of money, sorry there's plenty of review sources without having to pay

Last edited:
I disagree! There are definitely plenty of reviews available online with people sharing their opinions. But the detail he goes with his testing is unparalleled. It depends what you're looking for essentially.

I disagree! There are definitely plenty of reviews available online with people sharing their opinions. But the detail he goes with his testing is unparalleled. It depends what you're looking for essentially.
There's plenty that aren't opinion as well, do you feel you need unparalleled testing to know what what you need?.:-/

Last edited:
No, however I reiterated that if you do then that website delivers whilst also presenting a very experienced reviewers opinion. The list above links some good review websites also.

I find its best to read the most informative information available from multiple avenues before making a purchase. Others are welcome to make their own decisions accordingly.

Lensrentals.com

When they review 20 copies of the same lens and then talk about sample variation you can see why different people reviewing just one copy can come to such different conclusions

Theonlinephotographer.com

Lots of extended use type reviews, particularly for mirrorless. The moderated comments are also pretty insightful.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new compact digital camera - has anyone got an opinion on the Canon IXUS 185 Compact Camera in Black or any they already own?

I use youtuebe a lot in my search for reviews and information on camera equipment. Some tell me that isn't a good idea that youtube videos are full of contradictions. Not sure I agree but I'm always up to trying something new. I appreciate the above posts will check out some of the recommendations.

I use youtuebe a lot in my search for reviews and information on camera equipment. Some tell me that isn't a good idea that youtube videos are full of contradictions. Not sure I agree but I'm always up to trying something new. I appreciate the above posts will check out some of the recommendations.
YouTube videos vary widely, some are very good, others are complete garbage. The best ones are very informative, then there's an increasing degree of uniformed opinion & click bait contention. There are several of the big name channels I can't watch, & others where I watch everything they post.

Back