Equipment Storage

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
No
I currently keep my gear - Nikon D7100, 100mm macro lens, 10-20 zoom, 70-300 zoom , 35mm, flashgun, remote cable, cards - in a Lowepro backpack bought when I used to hump all my kit around. It’s become a bit unwieldy and heavy to do that plus I no longer need to take all that kit on trips but would now like a case to keep it together at home. Any suggestions gratefully received.

I mostly use two Peli 1510's as they are literally bomb proof.

I have a Tamrac Anvil for the big super-tele's if i'm just taking them out, I also still have my trusty Lowepro for smaller trips.

The Peli's are great because they are (mostly) airline compatible. The only problem with Peli's is that they tell everyone you have something expensive and worth protecting.

I currently use one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mantona-ph...d=1528885760&sr=8-3&keywords=large+camera+bag

I find it holds 2 full-size SLR bodies, 3 lenses, 2 flashes, filters, holders, rocket blower and other odds and ends. I'd probably need 2 peli type cases to keep the same amount in (those cut foam interiors take up some room!), plus I can put this bag in the car boot and feed off it from there if I'm going out and want/need all my kit with me. I use a small shoulder bag if I'm out for the day and want to carry a camera and a couple of lenses, as I think this thing would put my back out if I tried to walk round with it all day! Hope this is useful.

I'd probably need 2 peli type cases to keep the same amount in (those cut foam interiors take up some room!).

I use the TrekPak insert system in a Peli 1510, far less wasted space than foam and dead easy to re-configure as and when your gear changes.

GC

For the best value look into the sort of tool boxes used by techies for electronics and delicate tools. I bought this one for storing my M43 kit in and it cost £25 including delivery from an ebay seller. It works well as a storage box. Bigger and stronger versions are available at not too much more.

Sony HX90 8GB 01 DSC01292.JPG

if its not leaving your house try an ordinary case with some dish towels wrapped round the lens'e to
stop them rubbing against each other
why pay for a fancy foam lined case for nothing !!

I currently keep my gear - Nikon D7100, 100mm macro lens, 10-20 zoom, 70-300 zoom , 35mm, flashgun, remote cable, cards - in a Lowepro backpack bought when I used to hump all my kit around. It’s become a bit unwieldy and heavy to do that plus I no longer need to take all that kit on trips but would now like a case to keep it together at home. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Just for an alternative view :D

Back in my DSLR phase I had a backpack and most of my kit lived in it but these days I just use a mirrorless camera in a manbag and even if I take the camera and lens and two or three more lenses the whole lot fits in a small camcorder bag. So, my requirements changed. At home I don't see the point in keeping the gear in an expensive case designed for transportation so mine is just in a combination of larger metal biscuit/food tins and carboards boxes all suitably lined with bubble wrap etc for a total storage cost of pretty much £0. If you can't bring yourself to use tins and cardboard a sturdy plastic container will cost a few £ at your local supermarket.

I can see the point of having quality storage costing into three figures for outdoor use and transport but I just don't see the point in it if it (the box) is not going to leave the house.

Last edited:
I have a cupboard in the spare room where I keep all my kit. Most of it is in a ThinkTank Airport case, as with the Fuji's, I can get a pair of T2's, and all my lenses in the one bag.

The 9L box fits in the rear underfloor of my car really nicely, in fact, I can 3 of them in there, which currently have all my washing/detailing kit in. You've got me thinking about getting some more for the camera gear...

FWIW I use a few drawers in a chest of drawers for gear at home

I use a Calumet roller case and as the insert comes out it doubles up as a suitcase when I go on.holidays

Last edited:
Back