Equipment suggestions for kenya...

Name
Nico Bains
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys I'm going to Kenya this July for 4 weeks and I need your advise on equipment to take. At the moment I have a 400D with a battery grip, lots of batteries, lots of CF cards, a nifty fifty and a 70 - 200 f4 IS. Ideally I would like one lens to keep on the camera for the whole trip.

Ill be in a camp for 2 weeks, 1 week climbing mount Kenya, 1 week on safari and at the Mombasa coast.

I was looking at the 17 - 70 mm sigma but I would like to get some advise from experience or suggestions before I buy a lens.

Many thanks, Nico.

One lens on the camera for the whole trip? Unfortunately nobody makes a 10-400mm zoom yet.....

For safari you want 300mm as a minimum, but 400mm would be better. The most popular lens for safaris is the Canon 100-400L. But that won't be much use climbing the mountain or on the beach.

As someone who has spent some time in Kenya (both for work and for play) my advice to you is this: take two lenses!

You'll never manage with just the one lens, not even on safari as you'll want a wide angle for the stunning vistas.

For the non-safari times, 17-55m f/2.8 IS would be a good bet as a stay on camera lens. Although if you're used to primes you could go for a wide angle prime in conjunction with your 50mm - it may meen taking an extra lens, but not much weight difference.

For safari, the 70-300 IS would be a decent low(ish) budget option, or even getting a teleconverter and using it with your 70-200. A 100-400 would be my first choice, but is obviously at the pricey end of the spectrum. Depending on your long term interests you could sell the 70-200 and buy a 100-400 with maybe £200 cash added.

I strongly suggest that you rethink your one lens idea - I really think you'll end up regretting it. A 17-55 and 100-400 would probably be the best two lens combo, but not a cheap option!

Where abouts is the camp? And which park(s) for the safari? (I'm getting jealous!)

Whats the budget you have to play with for equipment? What's the main thing you are in Kenya to do.. Safari or Climb?

I went to Kenya & Uganda for 18 days total last year just to take pictures on Safari and pumped for the 100-400. It was on the 400D for 95% of the time on Safari. When it came off it was replaced by either the kit lens or the 10-22mm as I didn't have my 24 -70mm at that stage. In hindsight the 24-70 would have covered all my needs and ment less weight if i'd just bought it prior to the trip.

The 17-70 would be great paired with your 70-200 but I think 200 even with the 1.6 will be a tad short. Most of my pictures were at the long end, but saying that there were times when the wildlife was so close i could not use the 100-400 so I just smiled and enjoyed it :)

Have a great trip

Well I'm not there for photography but more so for the experience and am taking my camera with me, And I just want a decent walk about lens that'll be good for me the the whole trip I don't have any space to be carrying 70 - 200 let alone a 100 - 400. :)

It's a charity thing you see were going out there to work with street children, and I am gonna take my cam, but needed to find a lens to equip it with.

Have you thought about something like a 18 - 200mm? It would be a compromise, but you will have some length for the safari aspect, yet it is still fairly wide.

On the other hand, what about a compact with a super zoom (eg panasonic Tz7 has a 12x zoom) or even a bridge camera?

Hey guys I'm going to Kenya this July for 4 weeks and I need your advise on equipment to take. At the moment I have a 400D with a battery grip, lots of batteries, lots of CF cards, a nifty fifty and a 70 - 200 f4 IS. Ideally I would like one lens to keep on the camera for the whole trip.

Ill be in a camp for 2 weeks, 1 week climbing mount Kenya, 1 week on safari and at the Mombasa coast.

I was looking at the 17 - 70 mm sigma but I would like to get some advise from experience or suggestions before I buy a lens.

Many thanks, Nico.

I took my 30d, 100-400mm and 17-85mm to Tanzania in 2007. Seemed to cover most things ok. Changing lenses is a real hassle though as the dust gets everywhere.

Had no use for a shotgun either :thumbsdown:

Have a great time and remember to put the camera down every now and then and just drink in the experience. The best trip I've been on, I'm jealous!

The Sigma 17-70mm is a cracker for the money; hard to beat, and would go very well with what you already have. That's what I'd buy, but I'm biased having just bought one and being very impressed with it in all respects.

Well I think I will get the sigma because TBH I'm not all that fussed about getting real close pictures in the safari and Its a perfect lens for my rock climbing so I think it's a good buy. Though I could possibly take the 50mm as well anyway.

Oh also anyone had any experience with the jimmy bo 500 camera bag with a camera with a battery grip ?

If you're set on only one lens then the 18-200 would a good option. I know you are saying that you aren't bothered about getting close to the animals, but my experience is that you will want to. (I know I got frustrated on my first safari with a 200mm equivalent)

You could look into hiring a lens for the safari - I know some of the safari lodges have a rental (though there is a slight premium) Alternatively, you could pack a longer lens in your main bag, and not take it out other than for the safari. That would depend on how secure your accomodation will be.

Whereabouts in Kenya will you be going?

i have to agree with some of the previous posters. I've recently got back from safari in Kenya, and although most the time I had a 100-400 on my camera, I used all ranges from 10mm to 400mm

You could get away with 18mm for most the scenery shots, so maybe a 18-200 would be the way to go if you really only want one to take lens, but you'll miss some nice wildlife detail with anything below 300

Some examples:

3463008969_f11ed12eab.jpg

20mm

3466803850_4d32b8b758.jpg

400mm

3516582184_8143c67dd9.jpg

365mm

3462949059_0a6473a2cf.jpg

375mm

More Kenya shots here

But the main thing is... Enjoy yourself! You'll have a fantastic time there, i know I did (y)

If you're set on only one lens then the 18-200 would a good option. I know you are saying that you aren't bothered about getting close to the animals, but my experience is that you will want to. (I know I got frustrated on my first safari with a 200mm equivalent)

You could look into hiring a lens for the safari - I know some of the safari lodges have a rental (though there is a slight premium) Alternatively, you could pack a longer lens in your main bag, and not take it out other than for the safari. That would depend on how secure your accommodation will be.

Whereabouts in Kenya will you be going?

Well it's in a camp where things a prone to go missing but packing the lens might actually be a good idea, the 17 to 70 will be my walk about and Ill take the 70 - 200 out for the safari. I think that'll sort it, plus the long lens is fantastic and I could easily crop some close shots anyway.#

I think some people will be shocked seeing a 17 year old with a large lens like the 70 - 200

Back