Equipment to buy for Interior / architectural photography

Name
Graham Johnston
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.

Hope everything is great with you readers :)

Anyway, I'm currently learning Interior Design, but would also like to learn photography with focus on Interior & Architectural Photography. I haven't had a photography taken for about 5 years, but will have to re-learn little as I am still in basic lol.

I am planning to buy a new camera (as I've given my old camera to someone about 2-3 years ago!!). Obviously some suitable lenses

Please could you recommend me which cameras? SONY will be my preference, but which one?
What kind of lenses will be suitable for Interior Photography? I will probably use Interior far more than exterior architectural photography, therefore lenses for the interiors will be priority unless you think it can be used for exterior?

I am not looking for a cheap camera neither expensive one - just reasonable enough for professionally photography taken on Interiors (and architectural)

Thank you

Budget is always a challenge.

Camera - A7 series. For interior/architecture AF speed isn't important, so choose any of the A7 cameras, new or used, to suit you overall budget.

Lenses - 1) 12-24 for interiors. Sony/Sigma make some new in roughly this range of focal lengths. If money is tight then look for an A mount Sigma 12-24 and mount it with an LA-EA4 adapter (buy used if possible) or LA-EA5 adapter. I'd also give an honourable mention to the Samyang 18mm f2.8, which is small and well corrected and the Sony 20mm f1.4 GM which is a very nice piece of glass, but not tremendously wide.

Lenses 2) Tilt-shift of some kind. Samyang make a new FE mount lens, or you could try something from Canon/Nikon and a dumb adapter, since it will only ever be fully manual.

Lenses 3) I'd look for a fast-ish 35 or 50mm lens for when you need those hand-held interior shots in a dark place, or for when you want to separate subject and environment. Sony 35 f1.8, Sigma ART series (available used) Sony GM.

Don't forget to budget for a sturdy tripod.

Can I suggest you say what your budget is and how you have broken it down i.e. body , lens(es) and not forgetting lighting???

Hopefully then TPers can advise who have experience in that field

PS would you care to define what you mean by 'professional photography in regard to interiors & architectural....'

Lenses - 1) 12-24 for interiors. Sony/Sigma make some new in roughly this range of focal lengths. If money is tight then look for an A mount Sigma 12-24 and mount it with an LA-EA4 adapter (buy used if possible) or LA-EA5 adapter. I'd also give an honourable mention to the Samyang 18mm f2.8, which is small and well corrected and the Sony 20mm f1.4 GM which is a very nice piece of glass, but not tremendously wide.

Is this the Sony 20mm f1.8 G? Soz if I'm wrong :D

Did the horse photography not work out?
Had thought about it a year ago when taking riding lessons but my eyes are now very sensitive to sunlight (Not the studio lights). I have to wear sunglasses and cap when I go out, and therefore not planning to work with horses now. Maybe as a hobby, but not important

Before I fully retired I did this sort of work for an estate agent.
I got away with a canon 7D and a sigma 10-20mm lens until I could afford what I really needed.
I got a Canon 5Dmk2 and a Canon 24mm TS-E lens. ( Tilt and Shift) which enables you to avoid converging verticals, they also shoot excellent panoramas
There is a Samyang TS-E lens but the Canon 24mm Mk2 is the gold standard as it tilts and shifts in both directions.
Unfortunately they are not cheap and only a few manufacturers make them , BTW the choice of camera is largely irrelevant .
Somewhat tongue in cheek , you could go down the MF route and use a Hassleblad with Tilt/Shift adapters

Last edited:
A Sigma 12-24 will give you full room coverage (on a full frame body) if you back into a corner and will keep the straight lines straight.
Tilt/shift lenses will help you avoid converging verticals.
Lighting (for interiors) will be almost as important as any camera/lens choices.

A Jessop representative gave me (see be low). What do you think? Considering " A Sigma 12-24 " was from at least 2 posters which costs around £1,399 compare to only £599 for the below.

Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Lens​

My budget for the lenses is £2,500 but I am not expected to buy one until September at least. I might take up a small loan for any other equipment such as lighting (as mentioned from above posters) and tripod etc ad of course the camera itself (Sony A7 as mentioned though Jessops mentioned a A6400 !!)

I bought a used gen I 12-24 in A mount for under £300. Gen II should have better image quality and retail around £600 or less used.

Back