Equipment Trolley Recommendations please

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for a small preferably foldable trolley for taking my lighting gear from car to offices etc.
Can anyone recommend me one ?

Thanks

Ed

Calumet has a small sale going on at Drummond street, pretty sure I saw one of their small foldable ones for £10. They're not amazing but for the cost who cares.

You could do worse than give them a call.

just had a word with an ex-roadie and he says good lower cost option RockNRoller carts, better option Remin Tri-cart but more expensive, they used Magliner's but those don't really fold up small. The issue with all cheap option is if the wheels fold out of the way - this is an areas of inherent weakness. The smallest RockNRoller (R2RT) is still nearly 7 inches tall fully folded.

Paul
just a quick edit to add that I in no way endorse the above products the RockNRoller looks a bit shoddy and overpriced (but I've never seen one in the flesh) Remin Tri-cart looks nicely made, very compact but a bit fussy, of this type of product I wish Gruv Gear trucks were imported here from the US - they seem rather nice!

Last edited:
The only cart I've come across which truly does the job is this one from but it does come at price!

Paul
these 'beach carts' are ok, they're a bit fiddly to set up and you have to think about where you're putting the stuff in it or they can tip up, or the rocknroller (good, flexible, not too expensive, seems like they've had some quality control issues though over time, but lots good about them), or for kit, ruggedness, and perfect for your laptop for digi too, but doesn't fold up as small, the backstage magliner conversions are the industry standard

the cheapest place to get magliners is apparently from panastore btw, but you'll need to call them: http://www.panastoreonline.co.uk/magliner-carts

the foldit carts are way cheaper from here too: http://www.utilitycarts.co.uk/shop/

the absolute best are innovativ carts, but they're.... a few grand. But oh so very lovely.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just a quick update from me based on my own search for a replacement cart/trolley as I've just sold my old and rather inadequate one (then again it wasn't bought for moving photographic kit). I came down to three choices, my aspirational choice was this from Krane AMG the 500 series, an upgraded or newer version of the Gruv Gear V Solo - check out the some of the videos online to enjoy it rather nice design. However, as much as I really liked the design and it's build quality I didn't really want to spend that sort of cash for something I'd use rather infrequently. So looking about for something cheaper, I came across this second-hand Gruv Gear Solo Lite. However, putting my usual kit into a pile it just wasn't going to be big enough in cart form and not really even it sack truck (or dolly mode as they say in the states) which also ruled out the AMG 500 - so I was again looking at RockNRoller carts, something like the R6RT was about right - loads of videos of all these carts on the net for review - but I still had concerns over their build quality and indeed some aspects of their design, which makes it seem over priced IMO. With all that said, I've just ordered a Millenium Go-Kart Truck XL from Thomann. For the positives; looks to have better build strength/design, has larger wheels for easier rolling resistance and is cheaper than even the smallest RockNRoller, backed by Thomann's three year warranty and will cope with all my kit and then some! Negatives are; increased size and weight, but even then I believe it should comfortably fit in the front passenger foot well of my little hatchback and only one front locking caster. Anyway, the decision has been made and I look forward to getting this in the near future and giving it a good workout...

Paul

Last edited:
I apologise for the flippant response but this is why my wife and I have three sons ... :D - They do come useful on occasion!! :)

I apologise for the flippant response but this is why my wife and I have three sons ... :D - They do come useful on occasion!! :)
Helpers to do the lifting don't actually help, unless they're on site already - if I took three teenagers in the car I'd have to leave most of the kit behind! The last session I did, if I'd had five people ready they could have emptied the car and all carried enough for one load to the venue, as it is, I'm hopping this cart will replace five pairs of hands, with one...;)

Paul

So DHL delivered my trolley today, quickly popped the wheels on and gave it a once over and had a quick 'play'. Takes about half the gear I took to my last session in one load, but those are all the easy bits. I probably won't really need the full capacity of this and don't expect to use it that often - all I know is that I could certainly have done with it in the past!DSCF9656.jpg DSCF9657s.jpg DSCF9658.jpg
WP_20170928_14_17_15_Pro[1].jpg
and as can be seen above fits snuggly in the front passenger side of my tiny hatchback for those smaller jobs! Having trundled it around for a bit fully laden, it would be nicer if it had slightly softer tyres for rough surfaces and bigger front wheels would have been a bonus, but the only cart I know with those cost over twice the price. The welds all seem to be of a good standard, the paintwork has a few very small spots missing. Dislikes, well I like to have washers used wherever possible, but I'll add those myself, the two thumb nuts which clamp the sliding section look as though they've been designed to 'bite' into the surface of the slide, so will mark it badly over time, not that you'll be able to see this, just strikes me as poor engineering, but then given the overall cost of the cart perhaps to be expected! One change for the better (from the advertised pictures) is on the front casters which initially showed a very open bearing assembly, so very prone to the incursion of dirt, the ones supplied had a ring between the bearing halves, not a seal, but it will definitely help keep out larger particles of dirt. On the subject of casters there is only one fitted with a brake not a problem until you try and load it on a slope, then it will turn around the braked wheel - could always buy another braked caster at 10.60€ but you'd have to pay delivery. So for 88€ plus 10€ delivery I have to say I'm well pleased on the whole.

Last edited:
So DHL delivered my trolley today, quickly popped the wheels on and gave it a once over and had a quick 'play'. Takes about half the gear I took to my last session in one load, but those are all the easy bits. I probably won't really need the full capacity of this and don't expect to use it that often - all I know is that I could certainly have done with it in the past!View attachment 111436 View attachment 111437 View attachment 111438
View attachment 111439
and as can be seen above fits snuggly in the front passenger side of my tiny hatchback for those smaller jobs! Having trundled it around for a bit fully laden, it would be nicer if it had slightly softer tyres for rough surfaces and bigger front wheels would have been a bonus, but the only cart I know with those cost over twice the price. The welds all seem to be of a good standard, the paintwork has a few very small spots missing. Dislikes, well I like to have washers used wherever possible, but I'll add those myself, the two thumb nuts which clamp the sliding section look as though they've been designed to 'bite' into the surface of the slide, so will mark it badly over time, not that you'll be able to see this, just strikes me as poor engineering, but then given the overall cost of the cart perhaps to be expected! One change for the better (from the advertised pictures) is on the front casters which initially showed a very open bearing assembly, so very prone to the incursion of dirt, the ones supplied had a ring between the bearing halves, not a seal, but it will definitely help keep out larger particles of dirt. On the subject of casters there is only one fitted with a brake not a problem until you try and load it on a slope, then it will turn around the braked wheel - could always buy another braked caster at 10.60€ but you'd have to pay delivery. So for 88€ plus 10€ delivery I have to say I'm well pleased on the whole.

:jawdrop: wtf, never ever thought it was that much gear.

:jawdrop: wtf, never ever thought it was that much gear.
Hi

I use one of these for my fishing gear, should do the job fine and not too pricey either

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WESTPOWER...l-Cart-Trolley-Trailer-D34780-H-/352005944862

I dismissed these out of hand for oh so many reasons.....not least of which is they are just not up to what I want them to do! The one you've linked to is absolutely huge at "Size assembled11705cm long x 590cm wide x 990cm high"o_O doesn't inspire confidence, plus the manufacturer has a somewhat lower loading capacity - I don't mind cheap, but I absolutely want to know what I'm getting for my money...

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul

Mine arrived from Thomann this week and tested it on the streets of London
Does the job nicely
Here it is loaded with basic kit
Profoto D1s in Elinchrom flight cases

Attachments

• 4E388A3D-8ACD-4A31-9C46-3608EEE32AC0.jpeg
    4E388A3D-8ACD-4A31-9C46-3608EEE32AC0.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 59
Thanks for the info Paul

Does the job nicely

It is, I have to say against many of the options mentioned in this thread, a professional looking product that sets the right image for clients.

Paul

I'm looking for a small preferably foldable trolley for taking my lighting gear from car to offices etc.
Can anyone recommend me one ?

Thanks

Ed

It is, I have to say against many of the options mentioned in this thread, a professional looking product that sets the right image for clients.

Paul

:wideyed::jawdrop:
Hmm maybe the OP was lacking info then

Well clearly that was why I started the thread in the first place - to get some info.
Thanks again everyone for their input
This is a Great forum for help and support

I dismissed these out of hand for oh so many reasons.....not least of which is they are just not up to what I want them to do! The one you've linked to is absolutely huge at "Size assembled11705cm long x 590cm wide x 990cm high"o_O doesn't inspire confidence, plus the manufacturer has a somewhat lower loading capacity - I don't mind cheap, but I absolutely want to know what I'm getting for my money...

Paul

Sellers dimensions are a bit odd

This is closer to what I have taken from another seller of the same item

Technical data:

- Size: (LxWxH) 150cm x 56cm x 63cm
- Size container: (LxBxH) 84cm x 44cm x 27,5cm
- Ø wheels: 15 cm
- max. Load: Up to 100 kg
- Material: Steel pipe, nylon

Thanks for the info Paul

Does the job nicely

Hi I'm asking if you could confirm the exact height of the Millenium Go-Kart Truck XL as you own one.

The measurements must be from the ground with wheels attached to the top of the handle when the handles are fully extended
When the cart is stood horizontally.

Thank you. So much convicting info on the Internet. I hope you can help

have a look at aldi or lidl sometimes they have something that will fit the bill

Hi I'm asking if you could confirm the exact height of the Millenium Go-Kart Truck XL as you own one.

The measurements must be from the ground with wheels attached to the top of the handle when the handles are fully extended

Thank you. So much conflicting info on the Internet. I hope you can help
So DHL delivered my trolley today, quickly popped the wheels on and gave it a once over and had a quick 'play'. Takes about half the gear I took to my last session in one load, but those are all the easy bits. I probably won't really need the full capacity of this and don't expect to use it that often - all I know is that I could certainly have done with it in the past!View attachment 111436 View attachment 111437 View attachment 111438
View attachment 111439

You've posted on an old thread and the person you've quoted and are asking hasn't logged on since the 10th of December 2018.

For future reference, it might be worth checking the date on any post. ;)

Welcome to the forum. :cool:

To help anyone trying to find the total height of the handlebars of an assembled Millenium Go-Kart Truck XL (from the ground to highest point with wheel on) here's my findings.

I got the answer from DJ Blink-Blink first!
He has a expansive review on the product on YouTube check it out.

" the height of the handle bars to its highest extension and the height is 41 inches"

Later I got an answer from Thomann

"To confirm the exact height of the Millenium Go-Kart Truck XL.

The measurements of the handles differs about 2cm, so one handle fully extended and from the ground with wheels attached is 101 cm high and the other handle is 103 cm high."

Back