Equipment Value

Name
Lotte
Edit My Images
No
Probably a blindingly obvious question with a really basic answer,

but how do you know the value of your equipment? Like how much each thing is worth?

So, camera, lenses, flash etc. etc.

Need to know it for insurance purposes :)

Most camera equipment insurance is new-for-old, so all you need is the current new price, or the price of an equivalent item if it's, say, an older lens that isn't produced any more.

As above. I tend to go on the side of caution when doing insurance thingies, amazon prices often vary, so chose the lowest price in a bricks-and-mortar shop, it might mean you pay a little more for your insurance, but you get peace of mind that it's not going to suddenly change and won't be left covered for the full amount!

Chris

So a 1D mark 2 should be covered at the cost of replacing with a new 1D mark 4 ?

So a 1D mark 2 should be covered at the cost of replacing with a new 1D mark 4 ?

Yes, for example I had to pay the premium based on the replacement of my 300mm f/2.8 AF-S with the current AF-S II VR, which added a fair whack to the cost....

Some insurance people insisted 1Ds mkII is worth 6k. They can all stuff it.

So 'new for old' push our premiums up - it's enough to make me nervous and accident prone.

Yeah, it is not fun when insurance 'steals' one L lens from you every year.

Perhaps it would make sense to insure lenses old for new and bodies for 2nd hand value. They were also insisting they could find a new 1Ds mk2 - and forget mk3 or 5DII if anything were to happen. That was taking a *****.

My kit is covered under house insurance.

Although no one item is considered valuable enough to warrant it being a named item it is listed as "photography bag with contents" with the insurance company having an itemised value of all the components.

The reason it gets named this way is all the kit sits in my camera bag - so if they grab my bag they take everything!

For once an insurance company appears to be using a bit of common sense

Im really glad this subject has come up because Ive just put all mine on the house insurance now, thanks all

Back