weekly Erce - 52 in 2013 Time and Juxtaposition added

I have to say this has been a lot harder than I first thought. Finding the time and energy has been hard, I am now behind but I will catch up!

I had taken another picture for wild, but sadly at 0300 valentines day my chickens were attacked by a fox and all were killed. I am extremely upset, and some may find this hard but taking pictures somehow helped.

I didn't want anything gory, but this looks almost peaceful and serene to me, untill you look at the details.

wild by purrplekate, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well this didn;t work out as I wanted it, but hey ho.
Inside of a cheese grater illuminated with a laser pointer.

space by purrplekate, on Flickr

This is a bit of a snap, but it is my beloved Western Hognose Snake having his dinner. Love him to bits...om nom nom

gluttony by purrplekate, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well, Kate! The bird is fantastic, the detail all there, and as you said the mono approach takes the gory hurt away.

Space... no, I don't get that one, either as an idea, or a photo, sorry.

Gluttony: well, that's more gluttonous than any of us will ever be! I guess he takes a good long rest afterwards. The pictures actually a bit hard to parse; I can see the snake's body going off to top right, but I'm not sure what the whitish thing is to the left. More snake? More mouse? My only other comment on this one is that the head is a little hard to separate from the body. Would a bit of shade, or a differnt angle have helped?

Wild, really well composed and B&W works well. Slightly tighter crop for me.

Space, :clap: for trying something different. I've used a laser in a few of mine that didn't work too well.

Gluttony, eekkk, great detail in the snake and on theme. Just the green bit draws my eye.

Good catch up.

Cheers.

erghhh, can't look at that one for long, don't want to know what its eating.

Wild, sad time for you . You;re right, the bird does look peaceful, as most asleep, the B&W works well to bring out the textures of the feathers.

Space, I like, Like the zigzag lines created on the back edge. Try it rotated 180º, straightened to the horizontal line, and cropped in on the (new) left side to the corner of the diagional. Works better like that for me.

Gluttony, a whole mouse.... blimey, great detail in the scales and the face, agree with Chris that it;s a bit hard to make out completely what is being eaten, or maybe its better that way. Oh - and the green bit too I'm afraid.

Another good catch up.

Sorry to hear about your chickens :(

Space - I've played around with torches and cheese graters before, non-photographers must think we're crazy.

Gluttony - I would have preferred to see a wider image, it's kind of hard to work out what is going on.

Hi Kate

Gluttony....superbly sharp with great detail...& definately on theme (y)

Space.....can see what you were aiming for very abstract image

Wild....very sad to hear of your loss Kate , nature can be very cruel sometimes . Mono conversion works really wellhides the gory but the image still tells a tale...fab detail in there as well :)

Work -taken and processed on my phone for a change.
This was where I was attending a conference in Zagreb. Was a beautiful day and I was outside escaping the smokers with a plate of lunch....

I straightened up on the building below and I kept the trees in shot to act as a counterfoil to the straight lines.

work by purrplekate, on Flickr

Work, on theme, with the narrative. I'd like a slight CW rotation to make it more triangular. For me, though, the branches really spoil it.

Cheers.

Good shot here kate - I thought I could look past the branches, and I wanted to be able to - but I can't. and I don;t like the roofline running across the bottom.

But I love the angle and the perspective, the neat, crisp line of the edge of the building against the clear blue sky.

time by purrplekate, on Flickr

Taken in Zagreb, same work trip as the last picture, I tried to straighten it, but there is nothing straight in there so still in 2 minds about it tbh.

You've caught me up!

I like the toy fire truck, I had to do a double take at first!

Three good ones here, Kate! Don't change a thing about Work, the branches really add to it and if you took them out and made it a triangle IMHO it would be dull. The asymmetry and oddness make it!

The clock is lovely, fantastic colours and textures there.

Juxtaposition I'm less keen on; feels a bit easy which is completely unfair thing to say. Not in the same class as the other two, anyway!

Hi Kate

love the tones & textures in your Time shot...rather interesting clock..you've caught the detail perfectly & of course it's right on theme...like it missus (y)

Juxta....neat idea & so very realistic...had to look several times to confirm it was a toy truck ....:)

Back