err 99 on eos 400d

Name
michael
Edit My Images
No
Just bought a new lens off ebay, an ef 80-200mm 1:4.5-5.6. however when i try to use it all i get is err 99. I have reset the camera, formatted the card and removed the battery. all my other lenses work fine just this one that cause problems?

any ideas? Ive contacted ebay for a refund in the meantime just looking to see if it will work

Send it back.. not worth attempting a fix on a recent Ebay purchase. 9 times out of 10 Ebay will find in your favour if you open a dispute (and at that time you must stop trying to fix the problem yourself).

Hi according to the eos mag Err 99 There is some thing wrong but the camera doesn`t know what it is, it says to run a procedure as follows
1 Remove main battery, 2 remove lens and memory card, 3 Fully recharge battery, 4 re-insert battery re-attach lens and insert memory card, 5 Turn on Camera.
Hope this helps but it sounds like a problem with the lens

Hmm - was it a Canon lens or a third party one? Had this issue with a Sigma Telephoto Zoom several years ago, and it transpired that the Sigma wasn't compatible with the EOS D series cameras :-(

You could try cleaning the contacts, if no better try turning camera on with lens in MF

I've tried cleaning the contacts, tried manual and auto focus and still nothing. It did work for a minute on the maximum aperture setting but when I tried again it wouldn't work, just going to go for a refund

I presume you haven't had the problem before this lens and it doesn't show up now if you use a different lens ?

If this is the case, I'd certainly be sending back ...

Nope only this lens. Just wondered if it was maybe an easy fix. It is being sent back

Back