Error 20 again

Name
Lesley
Edit My Images
No
A couple of months ago I had a problem with my Canon EOS70D. It wouldn’t let me take pictures and advised to switch on and off, take the battery out and replace etc. Did this to no effect but tried again later in the day and it worked. Sent it back to Canon as it was still under a 2 year warranty. They were excellent and replaced the shutter, gave it a full service and it came back like new. Tested it last week before going on a trip this weekend. No problems. BUT on Saturday, I was due to take pictures at an official event in Normandy. ‘‘Twas a very chilly and damp start to the day. Went to take the pictures and zilch! Error 20 again! Ended up taking the pictures on my iPad. However, later on that afternoon I thought I’d try again. The sun had come out and the temperature had risen and lo and behold the blasted thing worked a treat. Used it on Sunday for an indoor ceremony with no problems.

Now I am going on a trip to India to the low Himalayas in 2 weeks time and the warranty is about to run out any day now. I have received a notice to this effect with an offer to extend the warranty for £107 for 3 years. The only similarities between the two incidents was the cold .

Could I just have a camera which doesn’t like the cold? And should I stump up the money for the extended warranty?

One thing for sure. I will be taking a backup compact, phone and iPad with me.

Well, I have taken out the 3 year extension to the warranty with PCWorld/ Currys. They tell me that if it goes wrong and they can’t fix it or if it goes wrong 4 times during the life of the warranty they will give me up to what I paid for it in vouchers or and updated version. As I got it as a body only deal for half the original price when the local PC World shut and moved in with Currys 2 years ago, I am not sure £350 will get me much. Fingers crossed as it has already had one repair.

I'd be tempted to contact Canon and tell them what's happened and ask for the camera to be checked, adjusted and repaired as necessary - and let them know you need the camera in 2 weeks time for a holiday and see what they say? I'd want to get the issue resolved as there's no point in having a camera you can't rely on!

If rather try and get it sorted with Canon, than rely on Currys to try and sort it.
I'm not 100% sure but isn't there somewhere in the trading standards about not fit for purpose up to a certain amount of time even if it is out of warranty.

We have had warm weather for the past couple of days and the camera seems to be working ok now. Have been reading up on the subject on the net and, going back a few years, others who have had the same problem put it down to the batteries reacting to cold/damp conditions. Their advice to others is to keep the batteries warm by carrying spares in an inside pocket next to your body and to change them if there are any problems. I also have a compact, which shuts down when it gets too hot. You can’t seem to win with cameras.

You said that they would give you what you paid OR the updated version. Just go for the updated version, simple.

I am sincerely hoping that I don’t have to make that choice anytime soon ,Ploddles

Back