Error 99! What is this ?

Name
David Bridges
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I was shooting another friends pet cat today (with my camera of course) and stupidly i had not charged it after 3 days of taking photos (each session is about an hour ish). I took all the pictures and it was fine, but then i reviewed the pictures and the camera froze on one of the pictures, the camera did not turn off until i took the battery out. I then put it back in and took a test shot and then the flash popped up and make a very un promesing noise as when it pops up it makes that clunk, it made about 4 clunks. Then i took a shot then pressed the review button and it then said ERROR 99, the camera also didn't turn off until i took the battery out. I left the camera, and ive stuck the battery on charge. The mysterious thing is, is that the camera had claimed the battery had full power !, is it just that it probally didn't or is my camera broke ?

From the canon site

"Error 99 This error may occur if you use a non-Canon lens and the camera or lens does not operate properly."

Probably don't help you much:(

When I get error99 it tens to be lens related, IE the gold connectors from lens to body need a little clean. Your problems dont sound like that though :(

I think its just the battery tbh, and i hope its just the battery !

I had that error on mine when I first got it - the memory card was to blame for mine - corrupt file or something on the card. Put a new card in and it was fine. That probably doesn't help you either :| Hope you get it sorted.

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/nu3nj

It is a generic error code - often associated with dodgy contacts between lens and camera, but also hides a multitude of other problems. That link gives various fixes, but if you can't shift it, the camera will need to go in for repairs.

Charged the battery stuck it back in, good as new, everything running smoothly !!!

Phew:D

Canon have allocated Error codes to numerous faults that may occur. Error 99 is the generic code for an event or problem that hasn't been defined.

Having read numerous reports for this message, here are some possibles;
Bad contact between camera and lens.
Faulty lens.
Bad contact between grip and camera...very frequent.
Bad battery contact.
My only experience was due to a sticking lens aperture.

Hope something there helps.

Bob

had a similar thing happen on my nikon D80 the other day, i had put the new battery grip on with a third party battery, it froze when the battery went dead in between taking a shot and an error code like that came up, the strange thing is i had'ent noticed the battery symbol flashing as it normally does, this is not to say it did'ent just that i never noticed if it did, anyway put another battery in and all is fine, i know what you mean though it can be quite worrying at the time, a sigh of relief :)

ahhhh no, its done it again, it froze whilst trying to process the preview for a shot i just took. I took the battery out then stuck it back in and the light next to the cf card that flashes when you battery is put it didnt !!! then after re inserting the battery about 12 times it switch on and worked fine. I cant be bothered with this fuss if im going to the lake district tomorrow !

Try different batteries, lens, cf card...

Swap them around and see what happens - if you have a battery grip, take it off and use just the body without.

Hang on, What make of battery do people have with their 300d 350d and 400d i think i could be coming to the root of the problem i just need to know

Canon?

My batter is UNiROSS whatever that is, i could of sworn it was canon but obviously not unless some person has swapped their battery with mine somehow lol.

Back