Error Message "Unidentified Image"

Edit My Images
Yes
I've just returned to look at some pictures still in the 30D, but when i review them, about 6 fail to display and when this happens I get "Unidentified Image" message on the LCD.

I am positive these reviewed ok when i took the original shots and if i remove the card and put it in my PC and download them, they come out ok even when using various different different software utilities to view them.

I've taken the CF card and put it in my Canon S1 (where I was using it previous to getting the 30D) and again these six pictures fail to show when reviewed. This time I get the error message "Incompactable JPEG format"..All the other pictures can be reviewed ok in either camera...

I've looked at the "Properties" of the problem images, and i can't see anything different to ones which view ok...

The CF card in question is a SanDisk Ultra 11 1GB and has worked fine previously...
I've tried powering off ect and removing the CF card, but its made no difference to the problem...

Any ideas?

Regards,

Pete

So it's 6 images, that just won't be displayed on the camera? Hmmm. Not something I have heard of before (nor personally experienced with my 350D).

I presume you shot in JPEG and not RAW?

I would say it sounds like it could be a card fault. It sounds like they haven't been written to the card properly. (Even though you can view them elsewhere)...that's if its the same 6 shots.

If it's different photos every time, then it's either a card problem or a 30D problem. Personally I would put it down to the card. Have you got another to test the camera with?

Marcel,

The card has worked fine up to now in my canon s1...I've tried duplicating the problem by shooting again, and everything seems to be ok..Having said that the problem affected 6 different images out of about 70, so I'd want to test further to be sure..I was shooting in RAW and JPEG and there was nothing "different" about these six photo's except they were all vertical shots..Other vertical shots taken at the same time were ok I might add...

I suspect the problem only ocurred after i removed the CF card and downloaded the images onto my PC..I then put the still full card back in the camera and forgot about it until now...When I browsed through the pics using the camera, thats when I noticed the problem...

I wonder if something happened during that first download?

I;ve down loaded them a second time now, and as i said, they display fine on the PC ; both the .cr2 and the JPEG version of each pic...

Regards,

Pete

Did you reformat the card on the camera before you started to use it?
I always copy to the PC and then reformat the CF card on the camera.
I use Ultra II 2gb and 1gb on a 30D and have never had any CF card issues (touch wood).

Yes, I formated the card in the 30D prior to taking the pictures...

I've tried to ree create the error again, but so far, everythings worked ok...

The more I think about it, the more i think something went wrong when i downloaded the images from the card to the PC...

Anyways my a new 4GB Transcend CF card arrived to day, so I will try that one and return the other card to the S1...

I've emailed Canon Tech Support to see if they can shed any light on it, but I suspect it will just be a case of watching to see if the problem reoccurs...

I think you could be right Pete.
It could very well have been caused when it was in the card reader on the PC.

It does sound like it was just one of those gremlins.

What programme did you use to download the images? I had this problem on one occasion - I can't remember whether it was when I first had the 30d or before that with the D30 though.....I finally worked out that it coulod be tracked back to when, at work and not having zoombrowser, photoshop etc installed, I copied the images directly from the CF card to the C drive of the pc - it seems that the card didn't like it!

Witch,

The honest truth is I can't remember which programe I used...I seem to recall fiddling about in Elements 2 before realising it couldn't deal with RAW files, but exactly how i downloaded the files, I don't remember...

I ran some pics through my new Transcend Card this evening, and everything seems to be fine..I've tried loading using a couple of different programmes plus I 've dragged them straight onto the PC from the card via a card reader..

I think I'll put it down to "gremlins" and forget about it unless it happens again...

Regards,

Pete

Had this happen to me a while back when I had the 350D & Lexar 80x cards - turns out it was a general problem & all cards were recalled for upgrades.
Lexar handled this very well though IMO :clap:

I vaguely remember that recall.....

Back