esprit de corps wi da birdies

Edit My Images
Yes
Decided to show some solidarity with the scottish wildfowl.

The camera was on the tripod when I was shooting these, however the birds came so close I didn't want to move too much so this first shot was at a funny angle. Don't think there's much that can be done for it.
DSC_2756_Goose1.jpg

DSC_2745_Goose2.jpg

this bugger got so close my lens had trouble focusing :)
DSC_2727_Swan.jpg

pp consists of a rotate for #1 and auto-levels for em all.

thoughts?

I think their all nice shots but the last one is superb! I was out just last week taking shots of swans myself so I can appreciate the detail you have captured there. Very nice. :thumb:

What's your kit consist of btw?

Jewel

*Note to self*....do not post swan pics :doh:

You're baby brother, the Nikon D50 - 18-55mm Kit and a 22 year old 35-105mm Zoom Nikkor.

Those shots where taken with the 35-105mm. I initially hated the lens, seemed really soft to me but I'm starting to get used to it now - I HAVE to keep the aperture @ 7.1 or smaller - if that's the correct way to phrase it. However at £7 ($14 can) from ebay it was a bargain whichever way you consider it. :)

Nikon D50
Lens: 35-105mm F/3.5-4.5
Focal Length: 105mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Spot
1/50 sec - F/8
Sensitivity: ISO 200

Nikon D50
Focal Length: 78mm
1/40 sec - F/7.1

Nikon D50
Focal Length: 105mm
1/40 sec - F/7.1

The last one really stands out for me, the other two are just a little dark for my tastes. I've tried the swan thing and appreciate they can be an awkward sod to photograph, far too easy to blow the highlight detail so you should be proud!

I like the last one. The angle is good, and I like the expression the swan has (if indeed a swan is capable of having an expression...lol)

Lovely shots - I know this isn't the critique forum but you did ask for thoughts, so I've only two. In the last shot it's a shame the swans body is behind the head and neck but often there's not much you can do about that.

Secondly, I think I might have added a catchlight in Photoshop. But still...a cracking shot. I've done a few swans myself and it's difficult to get the exposure and detail spot on. Well done.

you have a catchlight in the first picture, its a little bright spot, a reflection in the eye. Adds a little something to a picture, specially if the eye is all black like the swans :)

Nice pictures by the way ! :)

Lovely detail in the feathers on the swan - they can be a beast not to burn out detail in the white without the whole image being too dark. As far as highlights go - use a very small brush and don't choose pure white as it looks false. sometimes a very slight softening of the edge also helps and don't forget the surface of the eye is rounded. Go and be an artist!!!

stepheno said:
In the last shot it's a shame the swans body is behind the head and neck but often there's not much you can do about that.

I actually quite like it, makes a nice change from the standard neck and head with nothing else in the frame :thumb:

Cheat! I hope the Goose had nothing catching!

Back