Essex/Hertfordshire landscape locations?

Glad you're still here, Alice. Some of the posts above aren't particularly welcoming.

Essex is hard, because there isn't the obvious drama, but it is a beautiful rural county, with some big skies and a very long coastline, and one that still can offer much to the keen-eyed. Sometimes you have to think small. So easy to lug around all the dramatic mountain hotspots, and not so challenging to take a good photograph, though I have to say that were I a mountain photographer I would be looking for the sublime rather than the picturesque.

Why is it a bad thing for a location to be less challenging to photograph because it's more scenic.

Thinking small leads to taking small pictures - not the nice big ones. Now some people like these small scenes...but not everyone does. What I've noticed is "small" scenes are popular in the UK landscape scene - but far less so outwith it - perhaps because outwith these shores there is better weather and better scenery so there's more to photograph without having to "turd polish" by looking for the interesting within the uninteresting. What's wrong with just skipping the uninteresting and going to interesting.

What's the merit in making landscape photography hard when you can make it easier by going somewhere nice?

All my favourite pictures I have taken have been the least challenging - it's clear where the composition is and with the right weather and light the hardest thing to do is turn up - for me that's where the best and most rewarding shots come from. That is from the achingly beautiful locations in the most achingly beautiful light. That's the best life experiences right there...IMHO.

Steve, each to their own. I personally look for a narrative in the landscape, to try to tell a story, not for nice colours. I'm not claiming to succesfully achieve that, but that is what keeps me trundling on. You like taking lots of pretty photographs of mountain scenery, and you do so perfectly well, but not everybody does, or has the opportunity if they did.

Alice wanted to know about locations in Essex and Herts, not, with respect, in the Dolomites and the Alps.

There's a girl I've just started to follow on IG, Rachel James. She lives in Suffolk, and takes photographs of her landscapes (which are very similar to those of Essex) which are clearly driven by a love of the place, and that really comes through. She's not an experienced photographer, she's not always consistent, and she makes technical errors, but you have a real sense of her passion for the place, and that makes it work. Sometimes that's all that matters.

Alice wanted to know about locations in Essex and Herts, not, with respect, in the Dolomites and the Alps..

And I, with respect, gave the advice they’d better spend their time traveling to somewhere more photogenic. Essex is blessed with close proximity to the Euro tunnel...

Much in the same way that south Lanarkshire is blessed with relatively close proximity to the north of Scotland and the m74 south and eventual journey to the euro tunnel ;)

Last edited:
Thinking small leads to taking small pictures - not the nice big ones. Now some people like these small scenes...but not everyone does. What I've noticed is "small" scenes are popular in the UK landscape scene - but far less so outwith it - perhaps because outwith these shores there is better weather and better scenery so there's more to photograph without having to "turd polish" by looking for the interesting within the uninteresting. What's wrong with just skipping the uninteresting and going to interesting.

You take small pictures of epic scenes, you just haven’t realised. I honestly don’t know how you attract workshop clients with your attitude, it must be soul destroying

And I, with respect, gave the advice they’d better spend their time traveling to somewhere more photogenic. Essex is blessed with close proximity to the Euro tunnel...

Much in the same way that south Lanarkshire is blessed with relatively close proximity to the north of Scotland and the m74 south and eventual journey to the euro tunnel ;)

I said you'd overplayed your hand earlier, but now you're actually getting tiresome. Naughty step for you...

Watch out for blubells in the spring. I think the place i Dockly or Drockley woods, etc. Otherwise, ferry or airport to somewhere more interesting.

Sounds like Dockey Woods in Berkhamstead? I found a nice spot last year not far from Stansted Airport plenty on both fields. But still prefer Ashridge Estate it's just superb there.

I'm also thinking of driving down to Devon in search of the pink poppies but still no exact location as of yet :(

Looking forward to see some photos you took thereat Maldon. Did you get a chance to explore Northey Island as well?

Osea beach hut is not that far too it's one of the place I would visit at some point.

Some photos, they are also on a different thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0223 copy.jpg
    IMG_0223 copy.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0231 copy.jpg
    IMG_0231 copy.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0227 copy2.jpg
    IMG_0227 copy2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi Alice,

If you like walking too, have a look at the fancyfreewalks site. There are literally hundreds of walks to choose from and you'll see plenty of gorgeous southern UK scenery and woodland while doing them. Loads of pretty stuff to point a camera at.

Back