Ethernet Cable Length Issue

Edit My Images
No
Guys.

Just looking for a bit of conformation to my thinking. I have to install a PC 300m from the main building. This HAS to be hardwired as wireless is not an option for this install. Now I know the limit for a segment is 100m. So if I was to use a Ethernet Switch at 65m, 120m, 205m these happen to be where we have weatherproof junctions boxes with mains power in. Would that work for extending the reach. I believe you can have up to 5 segments.

Cheers guys.
Will

You will probably find that you will be fine with just one switch at 120m.

I've run Cat5e over 200m without any issues, and i've done video over cat5 for over 1/3 mile :)

I would also advise you not to skimp on the quality of switches which you use. Use good brand name Gigabit ones. I once had a problem on an installation and found this to be the issue.

The problem is this will be on a marina, all external cable runs. The PC will need 100% good network back to a Router inside the building as this will be used for Online Credit Card Auth, so don’t want to risk anything dodgy. For the price of a layer 2 5 port switch I don’t mind an extra one.

you could go the slightly more expensive, in capital outlay terms, but much more reliable route of a Twisted Pair to Fibre converter, a length of fibre and another converter.

Speak to Suna In the past they have always been helpful and cheap when I have needed weird cables made up. They will make the 300m Fibre from suitable grade stuff and sell you the network converters at the same time.

B.

Technically, you are always supposed to use fibre between buildings, even if they are close enough to use copper (i.e. less than 100m) - Something to do with the possibility of the buildings being at slightly different earth potentials if my memory serves me correctly.....Dont ask me to get any more technical than that !! :)

The problem is this will be on a marina, all external cable runs. The PC will need 100% good network back to a Router inside the building as this will be used for Online Credit Card Auth, so don’t want to risk anything dodgy. For the price of a layer 2 5 port switch I don’t mind an extra one.

Is it just for you or for multiple berth holders?

How are you planning on getting the cable into the boat etc?

I guess the problem here with fibre is getting the media converters. I've used a couple of different brands in production and to be honest - always gone down the line card router or SFP if you get a switch that supports them. The converters were more hassle than they were worth.

Drop me a PM if you need any info :)

Lee

we've got cat5 to fibre convertors in our warehouse (they're 300ft up so im not 100% on the brand) and they work with no issues.

most good switches will have a (sometimes optional) fibre interface..

Back