Ethernet to WiFi adaptor ?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this question?

We have a Panasonic Viera 42inch plasma that has been great, I already have a Fire Stick attached but was idly checking the setup info and realised that it has an Ethernet port. However, I don't have ethernet in that room and at the moment very limited mains power points free.

So, the question ~ is there a specific dongle or suitable unit that will convert Ethernet to WiFi? I have looked and have yet to reveal immediately suitable options :thinking: the ethernet port AFAIK is max 100Mbps speed. NB so far most/all are aimed at connection to computers and require that level of interfacing with the dongle setup....the TV ethernet setup does allow for manual network connection as well automatic.

I would appreciate any pointers and/or user experiences of such adaptor to look at :) The reason I wish to explore that sort of connection is that there seem to be a number FreeView data channels that might expand the choices of watching.

TIA :)

PS I would prefer not throw too much money at the project ~ £15 to £25, if possible?

Last edited:
Last edited:
We use a powerline adapter with 2 x ethernet ports to run cables to our TV and Freeview Player and it is very stable, wireless kept dropping the network connection.
One plugs into the router and nearby socket, the other to a socket near to the equipment needing the connection, with 'pass-through' you don't lose your mains socket.

I tried some powerline adapters but my modem and tv are on separate circuits so they didn't work!

I used wireless repeaters for a while, but we have quite thick walls and they were ok, but ended up running ethernet cables for a completely stable and solid connection.

T

We use a powerline adapter with 2 x ethernet ports to run cables to our TV and Freeview Player and it is very stable, wireless kept dropping the network connection.
One plugs into the router and nearby socket, the other to a socket near to the equipment needing the connection, with 'pass-through' you don't lose your mains socket.
This is what I use too to extend ethernet and then have a WiFi access point which boosts the WiFi too. You can use an old router connected to the other end of the second power line plug to get both WiFi and ethernet near the TV. You do have to make sure that power line is connected to a plug and not an extension lead.

I tried some powerline adapters but my modem and tv are on separate circuits so they didn't work!
Very unusual, the adapters should work on any circuit within the same consumer unit, I've had them working perfectly from house to garage ... and from an extension lead, (though that's not recommended).

Very unusual, the adapters should work on any circuit within the same consumer unit, I've had them working perfectly from house to garage ... and from an extension lead, (though that's not recommended).

Not so, I live in an old house and there are circuits for upstairs and downstairs. Powerlines don't work!

Not so, I live in an old house and there are circuits for upstairs and downstairs. Powerlines don't work!
As I said, "very unusual" ... I have come across old houses which actually have split consumer units for different levels and I believe some modern units split the supply so that may impact on continuity but generally they should work off of any curcuit supplied from the same (single) consumer unit.

As I said, "very unusual" ... I have come across old houses which actually have split consumer units for different levels and I believe some modern units split the supply so that may impact on continuity but generally they should work off of any curcuit supplied from the same (single) consumer unit.
The previous owner of this house was an electrician, we had choc blocks poking out of conduit run down the fence in the garden with garden lights attached. He didn't even wrap electrical tape around the bare choc blocks!

We have a socket (live) behind a radiator, and a socket up against a soil pipe, so have to use a multi adapter to get it high enough to get a plug in (because of the cable). Who knows what else he has done in the house, best not to poke around too much!

The previous owner of this house was an electrician, we had choc blocks poking out of conduit run down the fence in the garden with garden lights attached. He didn't even wrap electrical tape around the bare choc blocks!

We have a socket (live) behind a radiator, and a socket up against a soil pipe, so have to use a multi adapter to get it high enough to get a plug in (because of the cable). Who knows what else he has done in the house, best not to poke around too much!
:eek:

Its obviously either a spur or part of a ring. Just change the cover to a blank.

Back