ETTL flash triggers for canon

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
i'm looking for some Ettl flash triggers that are compatible with the canon 1dx mk2 and various canon mk1/mk2 ex speed lights
i have some of the older pixel king flash triggers but unfortunately are not compatible with the 1DX mk2 although they are compatible with the 1DX mk1

i also have a pixel mago speedlight that works just fine with the 1DX mk2 but has the same compatibility issues as the canon speed lights when using the pixel king triggers

anything not too expensive but with full compatibility with canon and 3rd party speed lights is what i'm looking for, any advise would be welcome

I have Yongnuo Rf-602's that have worked with anything I have tried. I have a 1DX but not a 1DX2.

I have Yongnuo Rf-602's that have worked with anything I have tried. I have a 1DX but not a 1DX2.
They’re not ETTL.

The YN622 system is firmware update able, as are the Godox 2.4 triggers, and whilst I can’t guarantee they’ll work, I haven’t heard of any compatibility issues.

cheers guys
it looks like i will have to have a closer look at the godox triggers, if somebody can confirm they are compatible with whats written in my first post that would be great

PocketWizard Flex TT5 (and the new Flex TT6, I presume) offer full E-TTL. Expensive to buy new but you can pick them up at reasonable prices second hand from time to time. Well worth having and compatible with other PW triggers in manual modes.

PocketWizard Flex TT5 (and the new Flex TT6, I presume) offer full E-TTL. Expensive to buy new but you can pick them up at reasonable prices second hand from time to time. Well worth having and compatible with other PW triggers in manual modes.

Compared to all the competition, overpriced and prone to issues. Most of the pros I know who bought them sold up a few years ago, including me. After 2 catastrophic failures I sold my PW flex triggers and with the proceeds bought Yongnuo triggers and a couple of flashes. It was the best deal I ever did.

various canon mk1/mk2 ex speed lights
cheers guys
it looks like i will have to have a closer look at the godox triggers, if somebody can confirm they are compatible with whats written in my first post that would be great
Just a quick note.. The Godox triggers are fantastic, you will also need the X1 receivers for each speedlight... however you will only be able to use eTTL etc. on EXII speedlights.

My 430EXII works perfectly, my older 580EX the receiver only acts as a trigger, no eTTL or flash power adjustment.

Even given this limitation I would invest in the Godox system.

Compared to all the competition, overpriced and prone to issues. Most of the pros I know who bought them sold up a few years ago, including me. After 2 catastrophic failures I sold my PW flex triggers and with the proceeds bought Yongnuo triggers and a couple of flashes. It was the best deal I ever did.
Yes, they do have some issues, especially with some older Canon Speedlites. Not giving up on mind just yet...

Yes, they do have some issues, especially with some older Canon Speedlites. Not giving up on mind just yet...
My issues were caused by radio interference at a local wedding venue.
Making them unusable, I was so pleased to get rid of them.

Yes, not good. Maybe they've sorted this stuff out on the latest ones...
No, it’s the frequency they use, which is in common use for other devices in the UK. (Overcrowded)
And it’s why PW didn’t become the de facto standard in Europe the way they did in the US.

Don’t get me wrong, getting ETTL triggers was a game changer, I loved my PW’s right up to the 2nd time they let me down.

But most people wouldn’t recommend them nowadays because better products are available at lower cost. It’s literally a no brainer.

The issues I have had were the well-known ones with older Canon Speedlites. Didn't know there were broader issues with the EU radio frequency which, as you say, is different to the US ones.

The issues I have had were the well-known ones with older Canon Speedlites. Didn't know there were broader issues with the EU radio frequency which, as you say, is different to the US ones.

My woes looked like this...

Outside at dusk shooting couple using OCF in a softbox against moody sky, everything working perfectly.

Return to car, put away softbox, mount flash on a clamp, return to reception. Mount flash with DJ lights, test... nothing! But it worked10 mins ago :thinking:

Remove triggers, use optical triggering, all OK.

On return home, download wedding, get out the triggers and test... nothing wrong! They then work perfectly on the next few shoots.(y)

Return to same venue as before for another wedding... exactly the same story. :mad:

Return home, test, swear, sell the triggers.

The YN622s I bought next have never so much as failed once.

However they’re going up for sale as I’m moving to Godox (which many of my peers have either already done or are planning to do. The bonus being built in receivers on the flashes (saving on batteries and space) and having a whole ecosystem from miniature speedlights (perfect for travel / mirrorless) right up to 600Ws portable lights.

If you can't trust 'em they've got to go. The Godox stuff that I've seen looks like an impressive solution and good value. FWIW, I see so much rubbish on TP forums but your posts are always very knowledgeable and helpful.

If you can't trust 'em they've got to go. The Godox stuff that I've seen looks like an impressive solution and good value. FWIW, I see so much rubbish on TP forums but your posts are always very knowledgeable and helpful.
Thanks Alan, though I generally believe the lighting section seems to be the most helpful and best corner of TP.

Back