ETTL lead with 430ex ii

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I've just purchased a 3m ETTL lead and connected the 430ex ii to my 5Dmk ii, but it's not firing.

I suspect I'm missing something basic, but any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help - Graeme.

Nope, that doesn't appear to be it. Both the flash and lead are brand new, I guess I was being a bit hopeful for it all to work just out of the box! Flash fires fine when on the camera.

Any other thoughts very welcome.

mmm... begining to look like that Mark. Just tried it with my 7D and still no joy. Typical, got some time off to play and gonna have to send lead back.

Appreciate your thoughts guys - thanks - Graeme.

Clean all contacts with a rubber eraser, and make double sure everything is seated correctly. These things can be a bit stiff brand new, give them a good shove and wiggle.

Worth a last try, but it wouldn't be the first lead that's failed out of the box :(

I don't believe it, that only worked!!

Thank you Richard (and for all the other suggestions) - I love this place.

Have a great Christmas - Graeme.

Actually, I do have one other question - if I wanted to use a wireless trigger on the 430ex ii, where would I plug it in please (already worried that this might qualify for the dumbest question of 2012!).

Thanks as ever - Graeme.

The 430EX II only has the hotshoe connection (versus the 580EX II which has a PC socket on it too) so you'd have to get a trigger with a hotshoe, or get a hotshoe adapter that will take whatever connection the trigger has.
Most of the triggers seem to have hotshoes though.

Thank you Darren - I hadn't considered that approach - I'll take a look.

Best - Graeme.

If you buy a Seagull optical trigger buy the Seagull SYK-5 as the other models don't work with Canon flashes.

Hi Graeme, loads of triggers to choose from these days, but the latest on the block is the Yongnuo YN-622C, which will give you lots of options. Possibly something cheaper would be the Yongnuo 603 trancievers. Check em out, but both will work with your gear.

Malcolm

Actually, I do have one other question - if I wanted to use a wireless trigger on the 430ex ii, where would I plug it in please (already worried that this might qualify for the dumbest question of 2012!).

Thanks as ever - Graeme.

Thank you guys, I'm on the case.

Really appreciate all your help as usual.

Graeme.

Ahem... I've also discovered that if you put the lead on the flash the right way round, that seems to help a bit too!

Sorry guys.

I use Yongnuo RF602's, you don't get ETTL obviously but they are cheap as chips.

If you weren't aware, the 7D can use it's popup flash to trigger certain Canon Speedlites with ETTL-II.

Back