Wild Eurasian Brown Bears In Finland [more shots added] ....

It is the nature of "nature", many other species will do that including Lions and (some?) other big cats.

[Rant]
We (humans) on the other hand destroy whole species without regard for the fact that they have as much right to exist as we do! PS and what about the war crime of raping females of the enemy/civilian population....... the bears and other animals are driven by a genetic imperative, humans on the other hand have a conscious choice!
[/Rant]

Very few of us kill another woman’s child so we can knock her up with our own.

Some do and whilst they’re interesting to see I’m not going to be sorry if the world is bear free

><
I’m not going to be sorry if the world is bear free
I think you should be purely out of self-interest . Disappearance of bears etc etc indicates the pressure we are putting on our environment and portends trouble for humans too.

I think you should be purely out of self-interest . Disappearance of bears etc etc indicates the pressure we are putting on our environment and portends trouble for humans too.

Yes, and on a related note if 'we' cannot curtail poaching of elephants & rhinos and other progressively endangered species what will the (Chinese?) market for such items turn to for their "gratification".

Loss of species changes the biodiversity in that habitat, such a change can (and does?) have effects that impact on human well being in one form or another.

Being blasé about such losses is not in anyone's best interests! :(

Have you seen what a hungry bear, tiger or lion does to a person if it attacks. Environments change all the time too.
I think you are confusing environments with environment. I’m surprised you think bears or lions are much of a problem. Polar bears and tigers are a problem where people live in the same area but really none of these predators are a problem of that sort compared with, say, cars or mosquitoes. We could, on this island, learn something from Australians who have learned to live with sharks and salties :).

We could, on this island, learn something from Australians who have learned to live with sharks and salties :).
Lets face it there isn't much out there, that can't or doesn't want to kill you :D

Rob, Superb pictures. I'm just surprised the mosquitoes you mention haven't appeared on here as "minibeasts" (only joking). I have enjoyed them so much that I am looking at the site to book a trip. I really fancy Brookes falls in Katmai but with the $ conversion rate that is just too expensive. I note they do trips throughout the seasons. Which one do you think gives the best opportunities? - tough question I know.

.... Actually I did photograph a backlit cloud of mosquitos while there but I haven't processed the image yet.

It's not only a tough question but almost impossible to answer as each season has its own pluses and minuses. I have so far only been there mid Summer. The BearPhoto website gives an overview of the seasonal diffences.

As with all wildlife photography, you are also dependent on Lady Luck being kind to you.

.... Actually I did photograph a backlit cloud of mosquitos while there but I haven't processed the image yet.

It's not only a tough question but almost impossible to answer as each season has its own pluses and minuses. I have so far only been there mid Summer. The BearPhoto website gives an overview of the seasonal diffences.

As with all wildlife photography, you are also dependent on Lady Luck being kind to you.

Thanks Rob, I have now booked for June and September next year.

Nice set Robin, I’m currently sat in hide 17 waiting for some action.!

I’ll probably see you in September as I’m working here at the moment.

Nice set Robin, I’m currently sat in hide 17 waiting for some action.!

I’ll probably see you in September as I’m working here at the moment.

.... Hi Jason, I was in hide 17 on my last night there but didn't get anything.

I'm there in September 2020 not this year.

I'll look forward to meeting you then Rob. I think they have two dates in Sept, I am going on the 16th - 22nd.

Last edited:
Lets face it there isn't much out there, that can't or doesn't want to kill you :D

.... Initially at the time of every encounter, animals ask themselves these questions :

1 - Will it kill me?
2 - Will it f*** me?
3 - Can I escape?
4 - Can I kill and eat it?
5 - Can I f*** it?

Methinks that human beings are also animals :LOL:

I'll look forward to meeting you then Rob. I think they have two dates in Sept, I am going on the 16th - 22nd.

.... Same date as me and so should definitely see you. The earlier September date was and is fully booked.

.... Initially at the time of every encounter, animals ask themselves these questions :
1 - Will it kill me?
2 - Will it f*** me?
3 - Can I escape?
5 - Can I f*** it?
Methinks that human beings are also animals :LOL:

Not much has changed in over 200,000 years or so has it ;)

not-all-australian-animals-will-kill-you-ti-cd-dont-get-me-wrong-he-wants-to-he-just-cant-q7NoE.jpg

Not much has changed in over 200,000 years or so has it ;)

.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Nope! And neither is it likely to change in the future (however short or long that is). It's just basic instinct and is essential to survival.

Bears usually always prefer to avoid confrontation and must ask themselves those questions.

Bears usually always prefer to avoid confrontation and must ask themselves those questions.
Fight or flight is very much still a part of animal behaviour ( inherited trait ) big or small. And has been since the dawn if time.
Little has changed in that respect.

Simply sublime to see and read about them :)

Do did you learn anything about litter size, on average is three typical for a sow? And anything in regard to survival percentages?

.... On average two or three cubs are typical and of course not all will survive, but not being scientifically inclined I have no idea about percentages. Generally I do not support tagging wild animals/birds for scientific purposes which I think can never be truly conclusive and tend to be academic - But that's another discussion or debate for another thread.

I have learnt that when in season, a female Bear will mate with more than one male and therefore a litter may consist of cubs with different fathers.

I wonder what happens when a male comes across a female in season with cubs but one (or more) of his cubs are his and whether he realises that and spares its life, or does he kill them all (if he can) anyway. Perhaps a male Bear doesn't try and mate with a female he has already previously mated with. I have a pair of photos to post here to illustrate the story of an encounter I witnessed between a mother with cubs and an interested adult male - I need to p-p them before I can post them here - Job #432!

I have learnt that when in season, a female Bear will mate with more than one male and therefore a litter may consist of cubs with different fathers.
Its quite clever actually, Bears Mustelids (and that includes the sub order, Otters) and a few other mammals are capable of delayed implantation,
if the conditions are not right, this could be environmental or could be health issue with the female.

The fertilised egg doesn't implant, but survives, grows slightly in to a blastocyst, and stops developing.
when conditions improve, the female may ovulate again, aka she is "Back in season" ready for another male.
The fertilised eggs may or may not implant at this point.

It happens but its probably something like 10 - 15% of all mating's

1 - Will it kill me?
2 - Will it f*** me?
3 - Can I escape?
5 - Can I f*** it?

Methinks that human beings are also animals :LOL:[/QUOTE
Given option 1 & 2 I hope it wants to kill me!!!

Brilliant photos and I really like the first one up in the tree and the three cubs, also great to see the wolverine I bet and I can echo the comments others have said on here, did a bear trip myself in romania and reccommend to anyone to try, full marks to you with these photos (y)(y)

Brilliant photos and I really like the first one up in the tree and the three cubs, also great to see the wolverine I bet and I can echo the comments others have said on here, did a bear trip myself in romania and reccommend to anyone to try, full marks to you with these photos (y)(y)

.... Thank you, Martin. Great but also slightly scary to see a Wolverine - I saw and photographed two on the same night but an hour apart. I got one shot showing big strong teeth!

Romania is said to have the largest population of Eurasian Brown Bear in Europe. I am going back to Finland to photograph Bears in Autumn 2020.

Back