EV compensation ring Nikon FE

Name
Laci Toth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I’ve purchased a Nikon FE in mint condition. Everything works fine but when I adjust the EV compensation ring and twisting it to minus to meter lever goes up and the same is true of course when it is on plus the lever goes down. I thought that it should be just the other way around, so when the ring goes to minus the lever also should because it needs more light or the light is way too much. I haven’t checked any of the pictures yet and I’m wondering if any of you met the same thing or should it be like that though is totaly illogical.
Thanks for reading!

If without compensation your meter gives you a shutter speed of say 1/30, this will go to 1/60 with MINUS 1 stop comp, or to 1/15 with PLUS 1 stop comp

If I've read and understood what you are experiencing, it sounds like your camera is just fine.
Very nice the FE too ...Enjoy and be sure you would be made very welcome in the f&c ( film and conventional ) section of this forum.

Last edited:
Thanks Asha!

For me now it seems like if the comp ring goes to minus it decreases darkness and if it’s in plus it adds darkness. Let’s say I’d like to shoot the speed of 250 and the meter lever is below of it. If I turn the comp ring to minus it goes towards 250 but if I turn it to plus it goes further to lower speeds. I thought that if I turn it to plus the lever should go upper because I added more light sensitivity so I can use higher speed and if I turn it to minus the lever should go down because it not as light sensitive so I’ve to balance it with slower shutter speed.

It can all get quite confusing but if you think that is a tad complicated to understand, wait until we ( in f&c) convince you to try LF ( Large Format) 5x4 film photography where you're looking at a groundglass ( like a live screen in effect) but the image is upside down and back to front! :runaway::LOL:

At least you now know that your camera is good and all (appears) to work fine;)…..Hopefully you'll let us see some of the results you get from it.:)

Thanks Asha!

For me now it seems like if the comp ring goes to minus it decreases darkness and if it’s in plus it adds darkness. Let’s say I’d like to shoot the speed of 250 and the meter lever is below of it. If I turn the comp ring to minus it goes towards 250 but if I turn it to plus it goes further to lower speeds. I thought that if I turn it to plus the lever should go upper because I added more light sensitivity so I can use higher speed and if I turn it to minus the lever should go down because it not as light sensitive so I’ve to balance it with slower shutter speed.

Just remember - is less light and + is more light: you're adding something positive rather than taking away something negative. Easier to think of that way.

Thanks Asha!

The exposure compensation dial does not alter anything in the camera like shutter speed or aperture or ISO. All it does is relocate the needle to a different position so that when you align it up to show a correct 18% grey exposure it is acutually showing an in correct exposure by the amount you asked it to. IE -1 +1.

Thanks for everything from all of you! It does make sense now and really appreciate that you clarified it for me!
It can all get quite confusing but if you think that is a tad complicated to understand, wait until we ( in f&c) convince you to try LF ( Large Format) 5x4 film photography where you're looking at a groundglass ( like a live screen in effect) but the image is upside down and back to front! :runaway::LOL:

=D
Must be lush fun!
I’ll check on the l&c and the large format as well, thanks for raise my interest!

Just remember - is less light and + is more light: you're adding something positive rather than taking away something negative. Easier to think of that way.

Yea, I was thinking that way but then because I was confused I restarted from the other end. =)

The exposure compensation dial does not alter anything in the camera like shutter speed or aperture or ISO. All it does is relocate the needle to a different position so that when you align it up to show a correct 18% grey exposure it is acutually showing an in correct exposure by the amount you asked it to. IE -1 +1.

Thanks! It really helped me to understand the purpose of it.

Back