Evening in London

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to the London Nocture bike race around St Pauls on Saturday evening. Took the camera along to have a go shooting riders and a few night time landmarks for the first time.
Had fun playing with shutter speed on the inside of one of the corners and got some shots ranging from ghostly fade to reasonably blurred speed. Moved to the outside of the last corner, all are 90* turns and practiced panning.
St Pauls wont upload but a couple of the shard

Welcome feedback on where I may improve them, composition was secondary to getting a focused image and bright light patches

DSC_1167 by James Hathaway, on Flickr

DSC_1164 by James Hathaway, on Flickr

DSC_1163 by James Hathaway, on Flickr

DSC_1155 by James Hathaway, on Flickr

Ideally you would take the shard/city shots in twilight so the difference in brightness between artificial and ambient light is much less than here.

The third image is the only one of the three not underexposed but an image taken before the sky is fully dark is generally much more detailed and colourful whilst still appearing as 'night'.

The cyclist is a good image overall I think. Perhaps crop slightly and adjust the white balance as it looks a bit yellow on my screen.

Thanks Cartus for the feedback, the cycling event finished 10pm so only got down to the river well after dark, the 3rd image was the first taken, and yes had underexposed trying to not blow the lights and darken it slightly. Didnt have long to play as needed to get back and was experimenting with the long exposure to smooth the river and capture the lights, none have had any processing other than to make then uploadable. quite a learning curve just to get focusing right.

Back