Evening landscape advice

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all,

I’m not even sure if this is possible or not but I’ll set the scene. Outside my front door over a small fence there is a wheat field and shortly there will be construction commencing at the bottom of the field which will obviously spoil the view, but for now, on a nice golden hour eve the field is lit quite nicely, but it looks even nicer just after golden hour, and I’d like to be able to capture it before its lost altogether.

However I do realise that the camera sensor will never be as sophisticated as my eyes are so I don’t know if it will be possible or not, or if any attempt will actually do it justice, and my composite knowledge is next to zero, but what I’m after is a shot out of my front door, over this fence and onto the field and farm house across from it with the fields holding that last sign of the evening glow but the dark tint of the sky acting as a contrast against it. Does it sound like I’d need to bracket it or would it be better to try to find some way of lighting the field?

Just to give you a slight idea of the lay out I’ve searched high and low on my phone for a photo of said field and fence and the only one I’ve found is quite old and sketchy at best, it’s not all dug up now, but I’m not on home soil atm so it will have to do...no critique required! But as I say, does anyone know if or how it would be possible to get what I’m after? I’ve got a tripod, couple of flashes and a 5d3 with a few lenses including a 14mm f2.8 and a 16-35mm f4. Any help would be great, and if you need anymore info before helping then I’ll try my best!

Pete

AA7A9889-B932-4620-8B2C-6490962B7E9E.jpeg

Commiserations on losing your view to a housing development!

It should be possible to replcate almsot any lighting conditions using a single exposure and a good processing programme eg Lightroom.

It looks like you have all the necessary equipment - tripod, camera body and lenses. You could try a whole range of different shutter speed/ exposure combinations and preferably on several different evenings. The biggest challenge would probably be being able to hold the actual scene in your mind while you work on processing the image to replicate it.

Well, I'd doubt you'd be able to light the field, so forget that idea.
I'd say bracketing would probably be the best idea.

If you use Lightroom merging bracketed exposures just takes a couple of clicks but another way around the problem would be to photograph the field at a different time of day rather than shooting into the sun... where does the sun rise? Will it bathe the field in glorious side light?

If you use Lightroom merging bracketed exposures just takes a couple of clicks but another way around the problem would be to photograph the field at a different time of day rather than shooting into the sun... where does the sun rise? Will it bathe the field in glorious side light?

The sun rises to the left and there are a few obstacles - buildings etc that hinder the low light, but it sets to the right of the field with very little to stop it so it hangs over it quite nicely. Loving your book btw Justin.

Back