Event photographer non-standard photo print sizes

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Hi.... Just a quick question that's bugged me in the past and has risen it's head again recently....

I attended an event where I paid to see some famous boxers and have my photo taken with them. When I got the photo home I found it to be printed at 9" x 6" which isn't a typical print size that I can go into a random shop to buy a frame for. I have noticed this in the past with my children's school photos that the proportions didn't fit into a standard frame size. I assumed with the school photos it was to try get you to buy a framed copy from them so I kind of understood. But with my boxer photo there was no option to buy it framed, so why do they do that ?

I know it's very much a first world problem and I can order frames online but I like to use shops where I can rather than buying things online otherwise in future there will be no shops.

I'd just like to understand if there's a good reason for it.

Cheers

Prints I produce for competition are set to meet my compositional judgement and take no account of frame sizes. If I window mount, I have to produce each one individually which is hard work. Recently, I have taken to surface mounting and no judge has criticised this. You could also select a card to match the frame say 12 by 10 and surface mount the print. While I very rarely frame my photos, I have always had a border including those I have sold.

Dave

Hi.... Just a quick question that's bugged me in the past and has risen it's head again recently....

I attended an event where I paid to see some famous boxers and have my photo taken with them. When I got the photo home I found it to be printed at 9" x 6" which isn't a typical print size that I can go into a random shop to buy a frame for. I have noticed this in the past with my children's school photos that the proportions didn't fit into a standard frame size. I assumed with the school photos it was to try get you to buy a framed copy from them so I kind of understood. But with my boxer photo there was no option to buy it framed, so why do they do that ?

I know it's very much a first world problem and I can order frames online but I like to use shops where I can rather than buying things online otherwise in future there will be no shops.

I'd just like to understand if there's a good reason for it.

Cheers
3:2 aspect ratio, the same as many camera sensors.

^^^ this, just trim 1/2 inch off each long (9 inch) side.

There isn't enough edge space on the photo to trim half an inch off each side. I'll have to order a custom frame or else mount in a 12 x 10 frame as suggested by Dave Canon, but I think this re-iterates my point that I'm having to take extra steps for something that could easily have been avoided. If there's logic for the photographer using 9 x 6 due to the aspect ratio being 3:2 as the sensor then why are so many standard frames sizes differently.

Where on Argos are you finding a 9 x 6 frame ? Don't be fooled by Google telling you that Argos has a 9 x 6 frame.
Ah! doh!

Drat :thinking:

Looks like online only!

PS no time to check but have tried the Range

Last edited:
Ah! doh!

Drat :thinking:

Looks like online only!

PS no time to check but have tried the Range

Yes. Like I said.... I'm sure I can get something sorted but it's just frustrating that some professional photographers often don't think of this as a worthy consideration to their client.

Yes. Like I said.... I'm sure I can get something sorted but it's just frustrating that some professional photographers often don't think of this as a worthy consideration to their client.
I surmise it is a dye sub print IIRC 9x6 is one of the larger/mid sized stocks for dye sub prints......next one down might be 'seen' as too small for the money???

I surmise it is a dye sub print IIRC 9x6 is one of the larger/mid sized stocks for dye sub prints......next one down might be 'seen' as too small for the money???
That's starting to make more sense, especially as longitudinally, the photo of five people in a row would make faces smaller on an 8 x 6.

That's starting to make more sense, especially as longitudinally, the photo of five people in a row would make faces smaller on an 8 x 6.
Reading here

Does logically suggest certain print sizes better suit(?) different events.

Bear in mind that 9x6 inch is less common but it is the IMO best ratio of 3:2 (1.5:1) compared to 8x6 @ 1.33:1

Last edited:
It's all to do with the most popular Dye Sub paper, it comes in 5", 6" & 8" rolls.
Also, most event photographers put the prints in mounts as the paper feels so thin and curls when it exits from the printer.

Lately I have got away from standard print sizes. But I have a huge advantage over most other's. I make my own frames. I seldom do a 4x6, 5x7 0r 8x10 at all anymore. Yet got to a store that sells frames and that's about all you can get. You can have your hands tied with standard sizes of get custom frames! lady from our cards niht wants me to put a couple pictures in frames she got for them. Nice frames but no way I see to get the picture's in them. I understand why she likes the frames but don't have a clue how I'd make the pictures fit in them! Standard size frames and pictures are off a calender!

I would think if you went to a frame shop to get a frame for a 6x9 picture it wouldn't cost any more than an 8x10. 6x9 actually uses less wood to make it! But I get where your coming from. Ask for something different from a lot of frame shops and you've suddenly gone from a standard frame to a custom frame. That is pure BS!

Back