Event setup.

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys.
I know there's loads of thread for 'which cheap lighting setup' etc, but I can't find anything specific to my needs.

I am 'thinking' of doing some social event photography. Parties, Birthdays, Discos etc.

I have done a little of this before using a white paper background and soft box.

Currently I have:
2.7m wide paper background
430exII flash
Wireless triggers
Umbrella and stand.

Ideally I'd get a Hi Lite, but they're expensive and without knowing how well the events would work I won't be getting one for awhile.
So it's just lighting. I was thinking of using the flash and shoot through umbrella to light the subject.
So what's the best way to light the background?
2 lights? Softboxes? Just heads and bulbs?
Budget....No more than £300.

(I know there's A LOT of other equipment needed for events, which I am currently looking into. Just looking for a lighting solution at the moment)

Am I right in thinking these are just flash heads? Not continuous.
Therefore using 3 flashes and having no constant light not ideal for events?
I only say this because all I have seen is continuous lighting used. It also illuminates the whole area you're working in.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking these are just flash heads? Not continuous. Therefore not ideal for events?
Yes, they're flash heads, which is exactly what you need for events.
They do have modelling lamps too of course,so that you get a good indication of where the shadows will fall, but the continuous modelling lamps don't affect the shot..

Please don't even think about using anything except flash

Yes, they're flash heads, which is exactly what you need for events.
They do have modelling lamps too of course,so that you get a good indication of where the shadows will fall, but the continuous modelling lamps don't affect the shot..

Please don't even think about using anything except flash

Ah sorry I've misunderstood the whole lighting setup haha.

In videos I've seen the lights are on continuously and the photographer takes a photo. I have seen a 'flash' go off but wasn't entirely sure why.

So the modelling lights are on constantly, you take a picture, the flash is fired at the correct power to overexpose the background, correctly to expose the subject and then the modelling lights remain on.
Got it (y)

Is using a 430exii and a shoot through umbrella sufficient? Concerned about triggering all flashes at once and battery life/recycle time...

If they were the wrong thing I would not have recommended them - all the event photographers I know, and I know a lot use studio flash type lighting. Studio flash is not like your 430

Mike

I apologise for my lack of knowledge :confused:

So the ideal set up would be a 3 head kit? Instead of using the speedlite?

If you have not done already might I suggest you look at course run by Snapzz that will help you understand what events are, what is required and how to succeed without going to great expense.

Mike

Thanks for the plug Mike. BTW the last date for "The Business of Event Photography" is 2nd October in Manchester. This workshop is ideal for those looking to setup for events and most of your questions will be answered.

Sorry for the plug!

Ben
From what you have already stated I strongly advise you to attend a course such as this (even if its not mine). This will save you making many of the mistakes and proberbly save you money (y)

I wouldn't hesitate about attending your event if it wasn't 200miles away :/
I guess there are others closer. Yours seems highly recommended though.

Ben,

200 miles is nothing when it helps you to turn a hope into a reality. People travel much further than that to my lighting courses.

There may or may not be similar courses nearer to you, but it's usually better to learn from one of the industry leaders

Ben,

200 miles is nothing when it helps you to turn a hope into a reality. People travel much further than that to my lighting courses.

There may or may not be similar courses nearer to you, but it's usually better to learn from one of the industry leaders

That's very true. I was discussing it earlier this morning. 200miles isn't a big deal really and a night in a hotel is fine.

Is there any where I can get some more info? I've only managed to find the Sheffield one so far.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll add you to the mailing list. Details will be released in a couple of weeks. FYI its on 2nd October at Britania Airport Hotel in Manchester. Start time is 10am- 4.00pm

snapzz said:
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll add you to the mailing list. Details will be released in a couple of weeks. FYI its on 2nd October at Britania Airport Hotel in Manchester. Start time is 10am- 4.00pm

Could you send me details too please mark@markianson.com 07770 011562

Ben,

I would say that most event photographers work with a 2 light kit. With the pace of events a third light offers little advantage as a third light is typically more precise in positioning and with the variance in height / sive of clients there would not be time to change the 3rd light.

Mike

So with 2 lights how would I light the background correctly AND the subject?

I was thinking 2 umbrellas either side of the background over exposing it,
And a 3rd light (softbox most likely) exposing the subject.

So with 2 lights how would I light the background correctly AND the subject?

I was thinking 2 umbrellas either side of the background over exposing it,
And a 3rd light (softbox most likely) exposing the subject.

KISS!

Keep It Simple Stupid (y)

Added
Just spotted this in the for sale section and would make an excellent started kit if your budget runs to it.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=347032

Or this?
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=343710

Last edited:
I want to shoot high key as I prefer that style of photography and it seems to be the most popular/standard.
Another reason is that I already own a lastolite White paper roll background.
Graham, thanks for the links. I have already registered my in the second kit for sale as it has 3 heads. I know it's alittle older but it should do the job.
The first kit contains a lot of kit I already own.

Thanks again :)

Oh and in response to Ian, I'm currently concentrating on the studio setup so I can get some practise etc. I will then have to look for a printer and the rest of the setup.

Ben,

Just because everybody seems to be providing Hi Key don't assume it is the most popular? just because it is what you see the most of.

Unless actually requested by a customer we do not offer Hi Key and it is amazing the number of times you hear comments like:-
"Thank god you are not doing that horrible floating person white background."

As you already have a background stand then the cost of another roll of paper or a Muslim cloth (easier to transport than a roll) is minimal.

Just some thoughts from someone who only uses a white background at 1% of events

Unless actually requested by a customer we do not offer Hi Key and it is amazing the number of times you hear comments like:-
"Thank god you are not doing that horrible floating person white background."

Just some thoughts from someone who only uses a white background at 1% of events

Usually because they dont know how to light the background correctly!

Actually I agree with Ian and I also very rarely use a white background mainly because everyone else does and I like to be different (y)

No dilemma at all.
forget the actual background at the moment. Just be sure you can light any subject properly so that they stand out from whatever is behind them. Remember you will be selling portraits so get good at portraits. When you graduate to blown white backgrounds (not technically HiKey) all you have to do is evenly light the background 1 stop above the light on your subject.
Concentrate on lighting the subject correctly

No dilemma at all.
forget the actual background at the moment. Just be sure you can light any subject properly so that they stand out from whatever is behind them. Remember you will be selling portraits so get good at portraits. When you graduate to blown white backgrounds (not technically HiKey) all you have to do is evenly light the background 1 stop above the light on your subject.
Concentrate on lighting the subject correctly

Sounds like a good place to start :)
I haven't done much portrait or lighting so starting with the basics will be the best idea. Like you said, learning to correctly expose the subject is first on the list.

Thanks.

I want to shoot high key as I prefer that style of photography and it seems to be the most popular/standard.

Ben I would love to know where you got that "fact" from as I am with the good captain and Snapzz. You need to learn to walk before you can learn to run and there is plenty of support for that available.

Mike

mike weeks said:
Ben I would love to know where you got that "fact" from as I am with the good captain and Snapzz. You need to learn to walk before you can learn to run and there is plenty of support for that available.

Mike

Not a 'fact' atall. As I said, I personally prefer that style. Looks more modern an clean compared to 'some' patterned/coloured backgrounds. I'm not saying it's what everyone does or likes.

I'm also not suggesting I know anything about event photography. I'm 20 and have an interest in it and am trying to think of how I can make something more of just an 'interest'. Because I 'prefer' a White, high key style, this doesn't mean I'm not prepared to try other styles and learn more. However, it's currently looking like I may not take it any further anyway.

:)

Ben,

correctly it is hot white and not high key and the reason that 3 of us that have done a lot of events between us are saying that initially at least it is best left is because of the amount of equipment and knowledge that is required to achieve that style of photography.

Given the correct equipment it is easy enough to demonstrate how it can be achieved and then comes down to your skill at understanding and being able to adapt to the location because you never get the space you want or ask for.

You say that it is the style that you prefer but one of the biggest lessons in events is that because of our price point we do not enter the "emperors new clothes syndrom" of being able to sell what we want and we have to be able to provide what the customer wants.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on i.e. to take forward or not.

Mike

Back