Ever cleaned your sensor with wire wool??

Name
Damien
Edit My Images
Yes
Well maybe not wire wool, but I've always been quite rough with the sensors on my cameras while cleaning them (using cotton buds, compressed air and even my finger a couple of times!) and have never needed a specific sensor cleaning kit or a professional clean.

I've never had a single problem and don't understand why people panic so much when it comes to cleaning their sensors:thinking:

I was wondering if anyone had had problems when cleaning their sensors (by doing it the "wrong" way) or if anyone is like me and doesn't really believe sensors are as fragile as we are sometimes made to believe?

why risk it though?
cheers
marcus

Basically to save a few quid and for convenience!

The main reason I don't really buy into the sensor being fragile view, is that when I bought my first DSLR (A100) I didn't know any better. I used whatever I had to hand to clean the sensor and never had any problems. I clean the sensor on my A200 the same way and have never had any problems with that either.

I've never gone over board, but I've hardly been gentle either which makes me think that it's all a bit of sales patter from the accessory companies.

Just wondered if anyone thought the same or if anyone had any horror stories??:thinking:

i like to use lighter fuel and light it with a match, burns any crap straight off it. works everytime :D

probably not that sensitive, not a risk i will be taking though mate.

Note to self, "Dont buy any cameras off Slimbert".....

;)

Because my camera cost a small fortune .... Because my insurance won't cover me if I break the sensor cleaning it incorrecty ... Because I don't have the money to replace it

Take you're pick.

surely it's better to do things properly?

It's definitely better to do things properly, what I'm trying to figure out is if cleaning your sensor "the proper way" is actually necessary or not? I know a scratch to the sensor would be a disaster, but I think sensors are tough little things that don't need to be wrapped in cotton wool.

I bet the people who came up with "the proper way" to clean a sensor are the people who made/make money out of it.

So far I can only go on my own, and a couple of DSLR owner friends, experienced based opinions, who all agree that expensive sensor cleaning is a waste of money.

Because my camera cost a small fortune .... Because my insurance won't cover me if I break the sensor cleaning it incorrecty ... Because I don't have the money to replace it

Take you're pick.

All VERY valid points, if the sensor is as fragile as some people believe, which is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of..........

Compress air is not a good thing as you can not control it much and dirt might get into places that you never get out again If this dirt is low in resistance you can get problems with the electronics

Good point again, but although it is possible, I think it's very unlikely. I've never heard of that happening before.

Have you had problems with this before?

Waiting for Janice to read this thread

Am I in for a treat??!:thinking:

I really hope I haven't started something that's going to end in tears..........

All I wanted was peoples experienced based views on how tough a sensor is. Not what people think, but what they know. And I definitely don't want to come across as arsey or rude argumentative etc I'm genuinely curious!!

Good point again, but although it is possible, I think it's very unlikely. I've never heard of that happening before.

Have you had problems with this before?

no as I have worked in electronic I know better then to use compressed air.
If I was using any wet cleaning I use Isopropyl

I suspect that they're a lot tougher than most people think. I wouldn't like to literally go at one with wire wool though! :) Not that you're actually suggesting that.

But I've never really had any problems cleaning them. I just go with the usual blow it off... if that doesn't work then brush it off... failing that a wet (dampish really) clean. It's no big deal.

i've got dust on mine i think. i locked the mirror up the other day armed with a cotton bud with a piece of lint free cloth wrapped round it . i took one look and chickened out!!

From my understanding the anti aliasing filter that is in front of the sensor is made of glass so it should be quite durable. I've cleaned my sensor with a blower and lenspen sensorklear without any problems. If I had any stubborn dust on the sensor which I couldn't remove with the blower or sensorklear I wouldn't hesitate in giving it a wet clean. The only thing that puts me off a wet clean is the cost of the cleaning equipment!

I wouldn't recommend trying to clean the sensor or any of your lenses with your finger, you'll probably end up with greasy marks in both cases.

Before cleaning make sure it is really needed, I know people that will clean before every session, over cleaning is a risk on lenses and sensors , Do everything you can to keep the camera in a clean environment particularly when changing lenses and you shouldn't need to do it very often I clean mine maybe once a year..

From my understanding the anti aliasing filter that is in front of the sensor is made of glass so it should be quite durable.

That's how I understand it too(y)

I will admit, that I think I'm not worrying too much with my camera as it's such a cheapy. I wonder if I'd be so rough if I had a 1Ds mk3??:thinking:

I just grow my thumbnail for a couple of months and scrape all the crud off with that. :whistle:

Get a camera with dust reduction....doesn't the A200 have that? ;D

i would just get a sensorklear pen and use that, small cost (£15 at jessops) and can be use 50 times. i have had my camera for 10 months now and never had any trouble with dust, i just use a roket blower every now and then.

I've got a 1DsII and a 5D and usually check them every couple of months. I only clean them when I have to. The I use the rocket blower and eclipse for a wet clean.

I have had to do them a few times because as well and weddings I also shoot on building sites which is a nasty, nasty environment. If I'm doing that I try to keep a wide angle on the 5D and a 70-200mm on the 1Ds so I can avoid changing lenses.

Last week I was 24 floors up the outside of a building and you don't want to drop a lens changing over with gloves on from that height. I'd get hammered by H&S for a "falling from height" hazard!

So while our cameras are probably tougher than we think, I use the correct materials for cleaning because doing otherwise is not worth the risk.

Poor Janice is legendary around these parts for doing THIS to a sensorhttp://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=163234&page=2

The risk with any of the non-recommended methods is dragging tiny specs of silica (sand) based grit across the sensor. That will very likely scratch it, as silica is effectively the same substance as glass. Any scratches will show up very clearly in all your pictures.

If you have a cheap camera, then the cost of replacing the sensor/low pass filter will likely be un-economical. If you have a more expensive camera, it's not going to be a cheap repair.

Personally, I'd rather spend £40 getting some Sensor Swabs and a bottle of E2 which will see you through at least 4 cleans (£10 each) than risk a repair bill costing £200 or more in order to save a few quid using a Heath-Robinson technique.

Do you really need to clean your sensor more than 4 times a year?

When faced with a speck of pollen stuck to my sensor that would not come off by any means, even trying to soften it by keeping it wet with cleaner for an hour or so, I was looking at the expense of sending it away. So I thought what the hell, nothing to lose. I used the corner of a wet swab to scrape it off. It still didn't move, so I scraped harder. So hard in fact, that the glass was squeaking. Then off it came, and no damage done. I guessed that a repair centre would have done the same, and if the filter was damaged, then replace it.

Mmmm!! I for one would not risk being heavy handed when cleaning but :cautious: I still wonder about my hoover idea. Find an old lens even a T mount and use an old manual lens, smash glass out of lens, bodge up a fitting with tape and small cardboard or plastic tube to connect the lens to the hoover hose and hey presto!! :naughty: Most hoovers have a control for power so it should not prove too fatal, well unless you hear the clunking of the mirror working it`s way up the hose :puke: Those little blowers are ok I suppose for removing loose dust from the sensor, but where exactly are you blowing it to? Chances are it is not leaving the camera body :shrug:

Get a camera with dust reduction....doesn't the A200 have that? ;D

Yep..... i haven't had to touch my 450D's sensor in nearly a year. It even used to have two small dots in the bottom left corner which have disappeared so the canon system is very effective.

And lemme know if you swap to canon so i can put you on the list of people not to buy from.

I had a dust spot on my 40D sensor, tried blowing it off with a rocket blower but that seemed to make things much worse. Took it down to the local camera shop for a clean and they thought it was some sort of oil contamination and couldn't remove it, so I sent it to Canon. They said sensor had been damaged and replaced the whole lot charging over £200 to do it. I've never been back to the camera shop, and never tried to clean my sensor again.

Well, I agree with the op ... A nice little earner for someone

Scotch 3m magic tape and a few cotton buds works everytime, costs about £4 and will do hundreds of cleans .... (y) .... :)

Back