Ever had your advice point blank refused?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I have. It sucks.

[rant]

Mate is desperate to buy a camera and has been asking me about various ads on segundomano (second hand site) despite not actually having a camera she wants (she just wants any camera)

I managed to sway her off the first by showing her UK prices on camerpricebuster.co.uk but she saw another today and despite my protests (it wasnt that cheap plus there was no receipt) she practically begged me to come and meet him and see the camera. I said there wasnt a lot i could tell from using except that it worked but went anyway.

Met a middle aged gent who led us down a side st (alarm bells ringing i sent her bf-whom id given the cash to for safe keeping-to wait further away) Funnily enough another gent was waiting at the car. The guy showed us the camera -all the papers except the receipt...plus country of origin showing as Great Britain (we're in spain) but the guy is adamant its been bought in spain. Ok might be a grey import. He also said its taken 500 pics, got him to find a memory card and stuck it in to see the camera was at 2120 pics...at this point i told my mate to walk away, he'd lied and at the very least to sleep on it. She thought it wasnt a prob-"he said about 500" but to my mind it was fishy and i said walk away. And again. Until she handed over his asking price (wtf! barter at least!) and was chuffed he'd chucked in a no name memory card.

Still seething. what a total waste of my time, if you want to buy random didgy kit fine but dont waste 3 hrs of my time and then point blank refuse to heed my advice.

[rantover]

I have. It sucks.

[rant]

Mate is desperate to buy a camera and has been asking me about various ads on segundomano (second hand site) despite not actually having a camera she wants (she just wants any camera)

I managed to sway her off the first by showing her UK prices on camerpricebuster.co.uk but she saw another today and despite my protests (it wasnt that cheap plus there was no receipt) she practically begged me to come and meet him and see the camera. I said there wasnt a lot i could tell from using except that it worked but went anyway.

Met a middle aged gent who led us down a side st (alarm bells ringing i sent her bf-whom id given the cash to for safe keeping-to wait further away) Funnily enough another gent was waiting at the car. The guy showed us the camera -all the papers except the receipt...plus country of origin showing as Great Britain (we're in spain) but the guy is adamant its been bought in spain. Ok might be a grey import. He also said its taken 500 pics, got him to find a memory card and stuck it in to see the camera was at 2120 pics...at this point i told my mate to walk away, he'd lied and at the very least to sleep on it. She thought it wasnt a prob-"he said about 500" but to my mind it was fishy and i said walk away. And again. Until she handed over his asking price (wtf! barter at least!) and was chuffed he'd chucked in a no name memory card.

Still seething. what a total waste of my time, if you want to buy random didgy kit fine but dont waste 3 hrs of my time and then point blank refuse to heed my advice.

[rantover]

and breathe.....

Sounds pretty fustrating, not to mention dodgy. I think sometimes people want something and they don't actually want advice they just want you to approve their decision right or wrong.

You did what you could and ultimately that's all that matters, maybe she'll listen to you next time, by the sounds of it she won't though! :wacky:

and breathe.....

Sounds pretty fustrating, not to mention dodgy. I think sometimes people want something and they don't actually want advice they just want you to approve their decision right or wrong.

You did what you could and ultimately that's all that matters, maybe she'll listen to you next time, by the sounds of it she won't though! :wacky:

:agree: and I really hope it doesn't back fire on her

I feel your pain......you try and try your best to advise and for what.........tunnle vision comes to mind.

i get it from the wife all the time and when stuff doesn't work i then get in trouble for 'i told you so' and also not warning her in the first place, you just cant win!

This happens all the time, and it's not just photography.

I had a friend who asked me which antivirus software I recommended. I pointed her in the direction of some free ones and specifically said "Avoid anything by Norton". She installed Norton because her uni gave it away free. Phoned me up to tell me "ever since I took your advice and installed some antivirus software my computer has been really slow!"

Not with photography, I don't know enough to even attempt giving advice, but my other big hobby is tropical fish.

I've spent hours explaining how to prepare their tank, what fish and how many are appropriate for that set up, how to take care of them etc etc. Then as soon as they see the pretty colours in the pet shop they get distracted and shove as many as they can into the tank as soon as they've added water to it :bat:

The worst thing is that 2 weeks later they're asking for advice again because their fish are starting to float belly up.

So yep - I feel your frustration :bang:

what?your married? and your wife even ASKS for your advice?

she does ask and is nice about it, i give advise and she doesnt take it, i keep quiet and when she realises its not good enough, she blames me, i remind her i said otherwise and then has the nerve to have a go at me for kicking her when she's down after i say - i told you so!

now i jsut say get what you want and dont blame me. She still does

Ever had your advice point blank refused?

Try telling your 16 year old son he can't drink a six pack in 1 hour

This happens all the time, and it's not just photography.

I had a friend who asked me which antivirus software I recommended. I pointed her in the direction of some free ones and specifically said "Avoid anything by Norton". She installed Norton because her uni gave it away free. Phoned me up to tell me "ever since I took your advice and installed some antivirus software my computer has been really slow!"

Good old Norton eh.?? I get this all the time... " I will go with a good known brand name such as Norton."
2 months later " Vinny... My PC seems rather slow".....
" Use system restore and get rid of Norton like I told you in the 1st place. Download AVG or other free virus programs. That should work."
I rarely get call backs after that.!!

Back