Everything Nikon Z Mirrorless Cameras

Yes they are, currently shooting on the D3300 so the guy in the shop said that using the lenses on the adapter the camera would crop them automatically so would only get around 13mp with them on. Camera was nice, they're heavier than I was expecting. Found that the autofocus was incredibly fast (from what I'm used to). My only problem now is choosing what to upgrade to really. I'd ideally like to go Sony judging from the reviews I've poured over for most recent mirrorless cameras however the lens line up for wide angle I have found limiting.
The bonus of the crop lenses on a mirrorless camera (for Canon and Nikon anyway) is that you still get the image filling the viewfinder, which you would not get on a FF DSLR. The Z6 looks a pretty similar size to the D3300, though as you say a bit heavier.

It is a bit more complicated if one wants to upgrade/enter FF mirrorless now that Canon and Nikon have got cameras to add to what Sony had already. Whatever you choose, I hope it turns out to be the right choice. :) You've done the good first step of handling the camera as so much can depend on how a camera feels in the hand. ;)

With the advent if ibis if anyone wants some ai-s lenses to play with on their mirrorless Z, I have a 105 2.5 Ai-s in pristine condition (bought from Grays a few years ago as mint) and a 200 F4 Ai-s again from Grays which is at the back of the cupboard. From memory it either mint minus or excellent plus plus.
If anyone is interested please let me know.

With the advent if ibis if anyone wants some ai-s lenses to play with on their mirrorless Z, I have a 105 2.5 Ai-s in pristine condition (bought from Grays a few years ago as mint) and a 200 F4 Ai-s again from Grays which is at the back of the cupboard. From memory it either mint minus or excellent plus plus.
If anyone is interested please let me know.

Hi Peter, I may be interested in the 200 f4 - could you post in classified?

OK I will do Fraser. It will be tomorrow and I will mail you when I have done it.
I also have a 75-150 3.5 series E which I will also post.

Time to upload some images.
Straight from my computer so not as sharp as flickr.

All handheld.

With 24-70 kit lens. Composition is so bad I cropped to panorama size to add some interest.
Z7 6.11.18 jpeg small-0167.jpg

A large bush that flowers every November and produces these flowers about 2 cms wide. Crop is about 8% the size of the original file. Taken with 105mm VR macro lens with FTZ adapter.
Blossom Arnside back garden Nov 18 jpeg v small-0428.jpg

I was hoping for a nice murmuration but this was the best I managed (Starlings would not play)
70-300 AF-P with FTZ adapter.

Murmuration (small) Nov 18 jped reduced-0480.jpg

As ever they look sharper on my computer than on here.

Last edited:
DPReview's Z7 review is up. Seems to be good camera, poor continuous AF. :rolleyes: Another vid looking at the video features to follow for those interested.

Was the Sigma 135mm really the best way to test its AF? Was that a sign that third party lenses adapted don't work as well on this new system or that you need to use their newer lenses to get the most out of the system? Does it indicate a fault with hardware, software or simply that it's just slow?

I know their video reviews don't drill too deeply into the technical details but considering it was their one major complaint it seems a waste not to go into further detail as I don't think it really explains how it works.

Well I have no Sigma or Tamron lenses, but I do know that to get the full 5 stops of image stabilisation you have to use the new S lenses.
CDAF and PDAF and interaction thereof is too technical for me.

Was the Sigma 135mm really the best way to test its AF? Was that a sign that third party lenses adapted don't work as well on this new system or that you need to use their newer lenses to get the most out of the system? Does it indicate a fault with hardware, software or simply that it's just slow?

I know their video reviews don't drill too deeply into the technical details but considering it was their one major complaint it seems a waste not to go into further detail as I don't think it really explains how it works.
I'm pretty sure DPReview has tested the Z7 (and Z6) with multiple lenses, and they have been pretty consistent, as have other reviewers, that the Z cameras are lacking a bit as far as continuous focus is concerned, Any specific questions about what DPReview did as far as testing was concerned, add a comment below the vid at DPReview and they may answer. They are normally pretty good at replying to any queries about what they did in a review or video.

I see Panamoz have stock of Z6

Out again today in dark and gloomy Windermere. All with 24-70.
As ever I have not worked out how to upload photos that look as sharp on here as on my screen. Hopefully the forthcoming new system will help.

This is 3.5% of the original file size.
Nov 18 Z7 2-0592.jpg

It was dark under the boat but shadows came out quite well.
Nov 18 Z7 3-0594.jpg

Nov 18 Z7 4-0599.jpg

Last edited:
Back