Evo 5

tdp

Name
Tom Dauben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've wanted to try a shoot in a multi storey carp park for some time and when my mate said he was going to sell his Evo 5 soon I thought now would be a good time to do some!

This was the first time i've tried this so be nice, but C&C welcome to help me improve ;)

4335475847_701fa92b56_b.jpg

I had to do this several times to stop it looking like i was trying to write EVOV! D'oh!

4336222960_948be0525f_b.jpg

4336238650_5bc22203a4_b.jpg

4336246708_5266e3d4b4_b.jpg

4335504441_3253a592d7_b.jpg

4336248430_4a529d8c10_b.jpg

Full flickr set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomdauben/sets/72157623367482018/

Last edited:
love #2 and a great set overall, my only crit is that on my screen at least, theres no detail in the wheels, they seem to be lost in the dark??

love #2 and a great set overall, my only crit is that on my screen at least, theres no detail in the wheels, they seem to be lost in the dark??

Thanks, I did find that difficult, if I exposed for long enough to get detail in the wheels then everything else became over exposed... I've run it through Aperture 2 for a quick tweak, but perhaps layering them in Photoshop and tweaking the shadows might bring out some of the detail.

Agreed, number 2 is my favorite! I think the darkness adds to the over all feel.

Love the tow point on the back!

my fave is #4 but i feel that on the zoom burst, if you added a burst of flash before zooming it would have defined the shape of the car more....i like them though. keep practicing

No.5 shows most promise.

Don't know how much these are already processed but if the raw file has it left in it, give the car about +0.8 lighten and about 95% desat. You'll need to dodge the wheels at least another half stop to get any definition.

In future if you're struggling to light dark or black wheels, try defining them with light from behind.

Fantastic set overall!! I really like #2 and the rest of them are great!
I would say for #1 though, you should write a letter, turn the torch off, then write another, turn it off and then keep turning it off between letters, to avoid the joining up. Thats just a bit of advise though :D

Well done!

my fave is #4 but i feel that on the zoom burst, if you added a burst of flash before zooming it would have defined the shape of the car more....i like them though. keep practicing

Thanks, I've not tried zoom burst before so will remember to give that a go next time :)

No.5 shows most promise.

Don't know how much these are already processed but if the raw file has it left in it, give the car about +0.8 lighten and about 95% desat. You'll need to dodge the wheels at least another half stop to get any definition.

In future if you're struggling to light dark or black wheels, try defining them with light from behind.

They're not been processed much, I've run them through Aperture with some minor alterations to levels. I've now lightened the image slightly and desaturated it as suggested:

#5 v.2
4335504441_bbfa8094fa_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, a fellow Aperture user (y)

You sure you posted/ linked to the second version - looks the same as the first? I'd be expecting to see the bonnet lose all the bluey-green from the flourescent lighting.

Last edited:
Afraid the only one that does anything for me is number 5 (number 4 doesnt show though)
I like the angle of the car, and the lighting that is making the roof dark, almost like the car is facing into the darkness.
Also just seen 5.2, now my pick of the bunch. :)

Oops, no... you're right, I've corrected the link in my previous post.

Big improvement on the car. There's not a lot you can do about the wheels in this shot but need to pay attention here if you're shooting cars in future.

Looks like you also desated much of the location - should've said to leave the concrete looking flouro-cold, the pure white of the car will stand out much more. Take it you're doing the desat work in Dodge & Burn?

Car parks aren't great as locations but the comp in this one works.

I have to confess that I'm new(ish) to Aperture and hadn't come across dodge & burn... I have now and have re-posted the images in my initial post having desaturated the body of the car, and also had a go at lightening the wheels to give a little more detail.

Here's another two I took too.

4335498443_f3451a9771_b.jpg

4336242530_7d25facab2_b.jpg

I don't want to do too much about the darkness as I was doing for a dingy grotty setting and am not sure about lightening it too much.

I'll get there in the end, thanks for the help! ;) (y)

Last edited:
No.5 now looking good, see how retaining the colour in the setting gives you grot.

That last one you posted is pretty tasty too, the comp's really strong imo, love the roof. Again just a shame the wheels are a bit lost but you now know how to avoid in future (y)

O/T D&B is your friend. Beware though, it eats disk space as it creates a 45mb tiff for every image you edit.

Wow. What an improvement in your edits. Just shows the power of TP!

Great work. (y)

Would like to try some back lighting of the wheels in the future, what did you use?

In the Integrale shot I used an LED torch on a 3 or 4 min exposure - the whole car was lit with the same torch, to keep the colour temp consistent.

For a 5 - 10 second shot like I imagine you were using the only way to get enough light in the time available is handheld flash gun.

I like them, how much is he looking for on the evo and what spec has it been built to?

Thanks for the info Andrew.

Stevie, i'm not sure how much but it's been remapped and had a new exhaust system fitted. It's rather loud now! and when you put your floor it and then lift off it has been mapped to produce just a little amount of flame and a rather loud bang! If you're interested I can find out how much, PM me if you are.

I like the mood etc although I would have had a small light just to ping the car on No's 5 and 6

Back