Ewa Marine Underwater Housing

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Has anybody got any experience good or bad with the Ewa marine underwater housing for a digital slr ??. I have had my Kenya holiday cancelled so we are off to Egypt at the end of March and I fancied a few snorkelling shots, cant make my mind up whether to get a point and shoot underwater camera or go with risking a waterproof housing for a dslr, I would probably use my D70 and leave my d80 for dry land !!

Dean

I do a bit of this from time to time and have used different housings mainly for point and shoot - last year I got the olympus model which goes to 10 metres below the surface.

It is excellent - you get underwater scene modes as well - but abandoned them in favour of either manual or sports mode - the video works well as well.

When snorkelling 10m is well enough :)

The other thing is that you just go in the water with the camera - odd feeling at first - then rinse in cold water afterwards - works well - underwater photos always an interesting affair !!!!! but I was very pleased with it - have alook at their website - there are different versions but I went on the safe side with the 10m depth.

Also I found DSLR housings well expensive and there is always that risk that see water can get to the camera at somepoint.

I just figured that I would get additional use with the waterproof case after our holiday rather than just buy a point and shoot, also the images should be of a better quality, if it all stays dry, the one I was looking at has a glass element to attach your lens and also room for a flash.

Dean,

I've dabbled a bit with underwater photography (just snorkelling), with both a 35mm compact and a digital P&S. The digital P&S was tons easier to use, because I could compose the shot using the LCD rather than having to look through the viewfinder - which isn't at all easy wearing a mask.

If I were you I think I'd get an underwater-capable P&S. I wouldn't bother getting an underwater housing for a DSLR until I had one that did Live View.

as a U/W photo instructor all i can say is match what you get to what you need.. a compact with a housing is great, up to abou 15-20m, outside that it has some restrictions.. i used a fuji for about 2 years before moving on to a dslr.. this becomes quite expensive as you need the housing then the dome, each lens will generally require a new dome, expensive hobby.. for what you have a mind you can pay about 200-250 and get a good olympus or fuji compact with a housing that will more than suffice for what you are planning, and the compact is great for land use, there normally between 6-8megapixels now. all the sardinia photos in my gallery where taken with just this type of camera.

good luck

Thanks guys, Stupid me forgot about the issue of a view finder and a mask !!:wacky:
A point and shoot is looking like the best option, I just want to be able to take a few shots after having my safari cancelled, this looks like the closest i'll get to much wildlife photography on holiday. Still theres the pyramids and other sandy things lol !!

Dean

as scubataff says and the other posts - the beauty of the olympus is that no housing is required and porduces superb imo photos - just rinse afterwards in clean water and away you go

Back