Excellent CHEAP 10-stop.

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wanted to share this with everyone...

This is the 2nd 'Camdiox' 10 stop I have, 1x 77m & 1x 62mm and they are both fantastic.

Bought here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321228876171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

And here's the results: (straight from RAW without sharpening, same ISO, same aperture)

WITH:
1469785_10153609767430305_1641268374_n.jpg

WITHOUT:
1501802_10153609767205305_760541175_n.jpg

WITH:
971834_10153609767070305_2100988273_n.jpg

WITHOUT:
1468670_10153609767540305_830647129_n.jpg

As you can see, there is very little difference made without the filter being on. Not bad for £22!

Here's a shot I took with it today:

1468599_716600561697314_438715827_n.jpg

Comparison between this and B&W: (in short, the camdiox comes out better)

http://www.fotografci.net/nisi/test/indexe.html

Last edited:
Nice find Phil, I bought 4 stopper a while back but it was virtually unusable, unless using it to create black and white images, due to the strong magenta colour cast it gave. I shoot RAW and could correct it to some extent in post but it never looked right.
Also tried welding glass in the past too, worth a try for £2-£3 but again not really that usable (very, very strong green cast) and it generally creates unclear images.
The one you have looks to have no, or at least very little colour cast. The greens and blues look natural enough to me, so I think I will have to take another punt on one of these.
Long exposures are something I am looking forward to trying out.
Thanks for sharing.

Looks really good am thinking about getting a ten stop but would probably only use it occasionally so one of these would be ideal
Which lens do you use the 77mm on ?
I've got the tokina 11-16 and wondering if its worth getting the camdiox slim version which is twice the price

Looks really good am thinking about getting a ten stop but would probably only use it occasionally so one of these would be ideal
Which lens do you use the 77mm on ?
I've got the tokina 11-16 and wondering if its worth getting the camdiox slim version which is twice the price
Both of mine are the slim versions....I'm amazed, virtually no colour cast or loss of sharpness.

Tempted, very tempted, as that would be ideal as an occasional "try out" knockabout filter, but the Ebay list shows the 67 mm version when ideally I'd like the 77 mm. I'll have a hunt around anyway.

Check the sellers other items, there are different sizes avail

Got one of these on order in the 52mm size, that way I can use it on my Nikkor 35mm, 18-55mm and also my lumix G2 with the 14-42mm lens so lots of variations there, now sat waiting for it to be delivered, nice and cheap in that size (£16.50) and hopefully it will be of the same quality etc.
Just a thought though, has anyone tried 2 of these together to enable even longer exposures?
Do 2 x 10 stop filters mounted together make a 20 stop or does it multiply up by more or less than that?

Hi all. You can get both the Camidox and the SRB ND filters from the link below if you want to avoid eBay for any reason. Both are equally cheap and apparently (so these guys say) the SRB's are good..

SRB's ND1000 10-stop filter is undoubtedly the choice for the budget-conscious photographer. It is available in 46-77mm sizes, and not even the largest will set you back more than £30.

http://srb-griturn.co.uk/nd1000---camdiox-1069-c.asp

EDIT: I mean really, I should read better next time...Same Guys.

Got one of these on order in the 52mm size, that way I can use it on my Nikkor 35mm, 18-55mm and also my lumix G2 with the 14-42mm lens so lots of variations there, now sat waiting for it to be delivered, nice and cheap in that size (£16.50) and hopefully it will be of the same quality etc.
Just a thought though, has anyone tried 2 of these together to enable even longer exposures?
Do 2 x 10 stop filters mounted together make a 20 stop or does it multiply up by more or less than that?
I was thinking of ordering another... I'm sureit will be fine.

Ive got an exposure calculator on my phone so if you are getting a shutter speed of around 1/500 without any ND filter a 10 stop would result in a 2s exposure, however 2x 10 stop filters mounted together (if they equal a 20 stop) would result in a 32m exposure, now that would give some extreme results...

Ok just bought the last 77mm, fingers crossed the IQ is as good as yours. If not, it's going back!

updated-

Results so far, sharpness and colour test:

10stop-jpg.5223

10stop2-jpg.5224

Details for those of you that are curious:

Lens used: Sigma 10-20
Filter size used: 72mm
Exposure Length: 111 seconds
Aperture: f/18
ISO Speed: 100

First real world use:

Ria Formosa Parque Natural
by ACW#, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 7D
Exposure 102 seconds
Aperture f/13.0
Focal Length 20 mm
ISO Speed 100

Ria Formosa Parque Natural
by ACW#, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 7D
Exposure 30 seconds
Aperture f/20.0
Focal Length 10 mm
ISO Speed 100

Last edited:
Ive got an exposure calculator on my phone so if you are getting a shutter speed of around 1/500 without any ND filter a 10 stop would result in a 2s exposure, however 2x 10 stop filters mounted together (if they equal a 20 stop) would result in a 32m exposure, now that would give some extreme results...
That's a bit much...

What's a 250s at -13stops?

Now going to show my ignorance about stop filters. As I can't see any difference in say the first 2 pictures what do they actually do/achieve and why and when would you use them?

Bazza

Now going to show my ignorance about stop filters. As I can't see any difference in say the first 2 pictures what do they actually do/achieve and why and when would you use them?

Bazza
It allowed me to get what would normally be a 1/100th shot (or something) into 30s. When there's moody clouds, water etc, it can make for a really nice effect.

Bazza

Hi Bazza,

Neither can I! I think Phil was just showing that it didn't deteriorate the image quality or give a colour cast (something that often happens with cheap filters). You'd expect the 'with' example with a filter of the price to be all foggy and horrible.

Not my example, just first ones I found on flickr:

116 second exposure during the day- http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadpowellgraphicdesign/8377466393/

Basically it enables you to get long exposures during the day. Something a normal sensor would not allow.

so basically then these filters allow a long exposure and stop too much light getting onto a sensor. Apart from giving moving water a smoothing effect when else would one be used. With a long exposure isn't there a risk of say a bird flying across the shot showing up as a streak in the image?

Last edited:
so basically then these filters allow a long exposure and stop too much light getting onto a sensor. Apart from giving moving water a smoothing effect when else would one be used. With a long exposure isn't there a risk of say a bird flying across the shot showing up as a streak in the image?

Exactly right.

Thats the beauty of it sometimes.

Lets say your shooting a landmark with people walking infront of you. If you set the exposure for 100 seconds, but they take 5 seconds to cross the frame, they will be totally invisible! A lot of 'empty' tourist spot shots are actually very busy, but all the people have effectively faded out by moving around.

If they move very very slowly they could be a streak. But provided they aren't in the same place for more than lets say (a total guess) 1/4 of the exposure length, they shouldn't appear at all.

It can also give nice sky movement.

Lower ND filters (3 stop for example) can be used for panning etc in motorsports on bright days (pretty sure some people on here do that), and also popular with rig shots, but 10 stops are pretty much kept in the landscape photography field. They aren't the most adaptive piece of kit!

But some of the examples guys on here post with them are just amazing.

I've just ordered one so I can 'try' and do the same!

Last edited:
Lets say your shooting a landmark with people walking infront of you. If you set the exposure for 100 seconds, but they take 5 seconds to cross the frame, they will be totally invisible! A lot of 'empty' tourist spot shots are actually very busy, but all the people have effectively faded out by moving around.

If they move very very slowly they could be a streak. But provided they aren't in the same place for more than lets say (a total guess) 1/4 of the exposure length, they shouldn't appear at all.

Well I never knew that, been thinking about giving this a go, at these prices worth a punt I think

ND filters are not just limited to landscape work etc they also come in handy for certain portraits for example.
Imagine trying to do a portrait outside in bright sunlight in summer with a f1.4 or f1.8 lens, you could probably be down at f4ish. The use of an ND filter would reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor, so allowing the lens to opened up to its maximum for shallow depth of field with excellent Bokeh to give those dreamy, out of focus backgrounds, even in full sunlight.
Admittedly a 10 stop is a bit of overkill in this situation but ND filters are quite a useful and versatile bit of kit with a bit of imagination, especially at this price.

Thanks everyone for the replies a great help in understanding ND filters

Filter eventually arrived today. Tried it out first chance I got but was dark by the time I got in from work so just took a few indoor shots with and without the filter attached just to see if there was any type of colour cast. ISO 5000 so the shutter speed wasnt too slow with the filter on.
1/1250 second without the filter, 1" with. Absolutely no colour cast that I can see so I am very happy.
Thanks for sharing Phil, now I know its ok I'll buy some bigger sizes for my other lenses.
Don't know yet how much of an effect it will have on sharpness, if any, but I doubt it will be enough to make me want to spend 3x-4x as much on a more well known brand.

Filter eventually arrived today. Tried it out first chance I got but was dark by the time I got in from work so just took a few indoor shots with and without the filter attached just to see if there was any type of colour cast. ISO 5000 so the shutter speed wasnt too slow with the filter on.
1/1250 second without the filter, 1" with. Absolutely no colour cast that I can see so I am very happy.
Thanks for sharing Phil, now I know its ok I'll buy some bigger sizes for my other lenses.
Don't know yet how much of an effect it will have on sharpness, if any, but I doubt it will be enough to make me want to spend 3x-4x as much on a more well known brand.
Good to hear. No effect on sharpness whatsoever for me :)

Mine arrived 2 days after ordering and was subsequently confiscated, apparently I'll be getting it back as a Christmas present in exactly 7 days time :LOL:

Before I was collared with it (I shouldn't have left it out!) I managed to rattle off a few quick testers. Happy with lack of colour cast, good sharpness etc. Look forwards to giving it a proper thrashing and posting some examples up soon! Plan on heading down to the coast inbetween Christmas and New Years.

Mine arrived 2 days after ordering and was subsequently confiscated, apparently I'll be getting it back as a Christmas present in exactly 7 days time :LOL:

Before I was collared with it (I shouldn't have left it out!) I managed to rattle off a few quick testers. Happy with lack of colour cast, good sharpness etc. Look forwards to giving it a proper thrashing and posting some examples up soon! Plan on heading down to the coast inbetween Christmas and New Years.
Bahahahaha confiscated!!!! That's hilarious. I'll be using mine tomorrow weather permitting.

Bahahahaha confiscated!!!! That's hilarious. I'll be using mine tomorrow weather permitting.

I know! I'm not going to knock people wanting to give me more things as presents though, means it hasn't cost me anything!

Would be interesting to see some more examples in the thread if you get any good results.

Mine too has been 'put away' until Christmas. Inside the package on mine was a chart showing exposure time conversion factors, which may come in handy. Now I need a cost effective cable release for my Sony A58. :p

I think you will find that the first two pics have just been used to show no or little colour cast which you can get from a 10 stop filter rather than a creative long exposed shot !

Apologies if I'm wrong :)

Back