Exhibition in Manchester

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
I always think it's a shame some of the great street photography exhibitions never make it north of London. However, there's a cracker in Manchester, running until late May.

It's curated by Martin Parr (that's a good enough reason to visit on its own) and celebrates the work of leading photographers, including Henri Cartier Bresson, Bruce Davidson, Rineke Dijkstra, Bruce Gilden and Evelyn Hofer. If you like street photography it really is worth checking out. Here's the info . . . http://manchesterartgallery.org/exhibitions-and-events/exhibition/strange-and-familiar/

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm a resident & have often wondered how photography has been missing from exhibitions here at pretty much any level apart from as support to other exhibits (War Museum a slight exception).
I've got some okay Manchester specific shots but I don't feel like sticking them on twitter. There must be better ways than that?!

I went to the exhibition yesterday. Images range from very good to rubbish...there's 4 massive prints from Bruce Gilden that are his trademark flash-in-the-face disturbing stuff. I am not normally a big fan of Gary Winogrand but I like the images he had in the exhibition. A Japanese photographer (sorry cant remember his name) had what I thought the best set on display.There's also a set by another Japanese guy I never heard of that quite frankly I wouldn't post on Flickr if I had taken them. Henri Cartier-Bresson's images were a bit average by his standards imo.

Overall it's definitely worth a visit. Very glad I went.

Last edited:
Back