Exif information

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
It would be nice to see the EXIF's on some of these superb images just to see the settings and the type of lenses used.
Normally I can download to my PP Program, click on image info and view the settings, but many have lost the EXIF due to the post processing.
Is this done on purpose or is it due to the amount of editing

Sometimes (but probably rarely) done on purpose (there's an older thread discussing this in depth) but usually stripped when saving for web (in PS) or by hosts. I would think that settings and lenses used would be an enquiry usually answered with the info you're after, although the info is of limited real use (but is often interesting!)

Here's a couple of semi recent threads on the subject that might be worth a read

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/why-hide-exif-info.550583/

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/do-you-display-your-exif-data-when-sharing-photos.518457/

I seem to remember there was another recent thread buy I cannot find it right now

Basically it has it's uses if you know what you looking for to solve a specific issue, however it's never going to tell you why the photographer selected those settings...so try not to get overly caught up on the value of exif

It would be nice to see the EXIF's on some of these superb images just to see the settings and the type of lenses used.

Ask the photographer: You never know... you may get a whole lot more useful information than just what lens was used.

BTW, you don't need to download the image. If you use Chrome, just open the Web Store and search for EXIF. You'll find several extensions that do the same thing: show the EXIF data when hovering over the image.

Ask the photographer: You never know... you may get a whole lot more useful information than just what lens was used.
The things that lift a photo above the rest are not going to be found in EXIF........

Personally I keep all the exit available (bar for location) as I believe it's helpful to others.

There have been a couple of images I'd seen when I was even more caught up in needing the best gear than I am now and I saw the exif, noted they were using a camera I'd long since "upgraded" and a kit lens and their image was better than anything I'd done or have since, it's moments like those that really hammer home how much the photographer is in control.

Back