Expensive day out

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I had a great day out at RIAT yesterday, but unfortunately my EOS 70D decided to die half way through the day, ugh! no warnings just stopped working. while I was trying to view a shot, it appeared to seize up and briefly came up with "Err" on the top LCD without any code number, and that was it. I turned it off, inserted a new battery but still no joy. Still my son was using my 10 year old EOS 450D so we put my 100-400 on it and he carried on shooting while I just watched, so at least we had something to bring home.

I've just boxed it up ready to go to Canon at Elstree to see if it can be fixed and at what cost.

If it's too expensive then this gives me a chance to go FF , as they say every cloud...

Doug

Last edited:
Let’s ‘hope’ you get a result...

I have a 70D and it has proved to be very temperamental. Mine seized up with error message 30 just as the 2 year warranty was about to expire so I sent it back to Canon amid warnings from other members on here that if I waited until it expired it would cost me about £400 for a repair. Came back after a complete service and a shutter replacement but the first time I used it in cold damp conditions it did it again. It was ok about half an hour later once it was back in the warm. Suspect it was the internal battery connections rather than the battery. Then when I took it to the real sticky heat of India about a month later, having worked perfectly well for the first few days, it went all funny on me and kept jerking, telling me I was taking a video when in fact I was trying to take stills. It nearly went in a hotel bin! Finally, after much button pushing and cursing, it suddenly righted itself. The switch from stills to video had jammed in between the two functions.
I had no problems after that despite it being taken up to the rarified atmosphere of the Himalayas.
I have now extended the warranty for 3 years with Currys at a very cheap rate and I am crossing my fingers that I have seen the last of the problems with it but I am also secretly hoping that it goes wrong another couple of times and they will decide to replace it under the warranty.
Either way it is a win/win situation. However, I am not sure that I would really want to trust it again with once in a lifetime photo opportunities.

Last edited:
Well I had the quote back from Elstree today. The main pcb has gone and they want £328 to replace it. Not sure what to do now. I could get it fixed, or get and 80d or 7d mkii or go ff with a 6dmkii. Lenses won't be an issue as I only have 1 efs lens the 18-135. All my other ones are ef. Up until last Saturday the 70d had performed faultlesly.

Get a quote from another repairer which is hopefully cheaper and then sell it or trade it in. You may gain £100 or so.

Very unfortunate,

Well I had the quote back from Elstree today. The main pcb has gone and they want £328 to replace it. Not sure what to do now. I could get it fixed, or get and 80d or 7d mkii or go ff with a 6dmkii. Lenses won't be an issue as I only have 1 efs lens the 18-135. All my other ones are ef. Up until last Saturday the 70d had performed faultlesly.
If you can out it as spares or repair for around a ton, that + the £328 you save from not fixing it goes a long way to the cost of a grey 80D from HDEW (£649 currently - WEX want a shade over a bag for the body!).
The 80D is a significant leap forward over the 70D, with the dual pixel AF in video and improved AF (points and sensitivity).
Or wait for the rumoured 90D and see if the 80D prices drop further

That's what I may do, sell it for spares. I also still have the grip that I can use with an 80d or sell.

Not sure about going grey though, wex have all 3 bodies on 24 months ifc, just have to convince the other half first!

Update, I've just authorised Canon to do the repair, at least that way I will have camera to use and I will wait to see what the 90d or the 7dmkiii are like when they're launched.

Perhaps ask Canon Elstree why the PCB failed? I'd want to know the reason and if there's no moisture/water damage, etc. then I'd take this up with Canon UK as I don't expect modern PCBs to fail after just a couple or so years. Depending on the circumstances, perhaps they might meet you part way on the cost of the repair, or at least supply the replacement PCB free of charge?

The camera is over 4 years old and although I use it a lot it's in good condition. It has definitely not got wet or has moisture damage. I have read that this is a known fault on the 70d. I was expecting the shutter to fail more that the pcb.

I'd still have a word with Canon though, as it's not the sort of thing I'd expect from a quality camera manufacturer. You never know, a call to customer services with a polite but 'disappointed' attitude might bring a gesture of goodwill? After all, a £328 repair bill isn't peanuts, even these days! Best of luck if you give it a go, I know I'd be straight onto them. (y)

I'd still have a word with Canon though, as it's not the sort of thing I'd expect from a quality camera manufacturer. You never know, a call to customer services with a polite but 'disappointed' attitude might bring a gesture of goodwill? After all, a £328 repair bill isn't peanuts, even these days! Best of luck if you give it a go, I know I'd be straight onto them. (y)

I will see what they say, and try to find out why it happened. If I get any joy I will let you know.

Back