expensive mistake ... or missing something simple?

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I have just unwrapped my beautiful new Sigma 70-200 2.8. It looks great on the camera, but there's a slight problem... it won't autofocus. Am I being very blonde and missing something ... or have I just forked out for a lens that is not compatible with my D80????

Another daft solution is there a manual / auto focus switch and is it in the right position?

There is no auto/manual on the lens. AF is set on the camera so that's OK. Think contacts are OK. I did consider whether it was a duff one, but thought the chances of that were slim ... but maybe Sigma aren't so hot on quality control

do you know someone else with the same (camera) body who could try as well?

What camera do you own? AFAIK Nikon D40/D40Xs require lenses with motors in as they don't have motors in the body. I believe that's correct.

Yeah, it's a D80, not a D40. I plan to take the lens and body into work with me tomorrow. We use D200s at work and I know they have the Sigma lens as well ... so I will try my lens on their body and my body on their lens ... hopefully that will tell me whether it's the lens or not. My logical brain is telling me they should be compatible ... it's not like it's an old F65 or anything I'm trying to use with it. But we'll see. Thanks for the reassurance tho ... my first thought was that I had just chucked my money down the drain.

I have the D80 and the Sigma 70-200 and can confirm it does auto focus. Stupid question but you do have the camera set to auto focus?

I found myself in exactly the same position (apart from feeling blonde:)) with a Canon 24-105IS L it simply would not autofocus, tried cleaning the contacts etc, and each time it was attached it showed up as an "error". It was eventually accepted that it was a duff one and returned to the supplier for a replacement.

Back