Experience Seminars

Name
Carl Howard
Edit My Images
Yes
Having purchased a 40D and several lenses at the end of last year for my return to photography after 15 years away. And always considered myself to be "not very good". I would like some feedback on the "Experience Seminars" that Canon offer.

If they're anything like the Nikon ones they'll be very professionally run and will stop at nothing to answer all your queries on a one on one and also provide invaluable help to progression with your new toy ... :shrug: ... I am sure you will find them extremely useful imhgo ... :D

There are also some very good third party seminar sessions that may be more convenient to you and possibly more frequently run ... e.g. the Digital Warehouse type of offering ... :thinking:

:p

I'd never heard of these before so had a google and found this.

Key topics covered

* Camera menu and display explained
* PIC modes - what they do
* Program mode and why to use it
* TV, AV and M mode and what they do
* Focusing modes and overrides
* Digital quality settings
* Auto white balance
* AE Lock and utilisation
* Common errors and how to correct
* Lenses and the effects they create
* Handholding speeds
* Apertures and depth of field control
* Understanding depth of field
* Shutter speeds and correct usage
* Drive modes
* Using exposure compensation
* Understanding drive settings
* ISO speeds and when to utilise
* Sensor cleaning
* Essential accessories

Most of that is really covered in the user manuals.

You say you consider yourself to be "not very good", do you feel it's your understanding of how the camera works that is holding you back or do you have problems with composition or something else? If it's the latter then the course may not be of that much benefit and you may be better off looking for a different course more aimed at improving composition or other photographic techniques.

Rob

rob.e, i have low confidence and wish to know as much as can, think it all helps. its low cost for education. £100 incl discount or £215 for part 1 and part 2, part 2 I would chose dedicated to my Eos 40D. any suggestions (constructive) are valued, thank you.

the experience people . huntingdon.
my mrs has done two courses with them at their huntingdon site. she has been very impressed , and says they were well worth the money.
they are very knowledgeable and helpfull , and she would recomend them.(y)
my mrs is an experience pro tog. i would ring them and ask if these courses you fancy cater for people with little experience. knowing them, they probably do.

I have done two Experience Seminar days, when I got my 350D, my first dslr. They were designed to enhance knowledge of the camera, not to learn specific photographic techniques (eg wildlife). They were both excellent days, well worth the money. Lots of content and explanation, and a useful takeaway DVD and booklet as well. I know of people who have gone on their hands-on experience days who also highly recommend them.

Cathy

These days sound really good from what I have read in various threads on this forum. Its just a shame there arent any close to where I love.

This is starting to make mind up?? I think, but please dont stop, thanks....

They do a practical intro which I did at Chester zoo last October. Unfortunately they gave me a 100-400 lens to play with.....I bought my own soon after :LOL:

10 out of 10 from me!

i myself have just received the list of what is on this year and an thinking of doing a couple in the next couple of months, from what i have read and researched them seem to be very well run, very professional and helpful and wiv the discount from buying a new 40D in Jan not a bad price either

They do a practical intro which I did at Chester zoo last October. Unfortunately they gave me a 100-400 lens to play with.....I bought my own soon after :LOL:

10 out of 10 from me!

HaHa, I think we met Brocks !
I was the guy with the 40d and 100-400.

Experience Seminars I thought were absolutly brilliant, I went to the day at Chester Zoo, morning was finding your way around the camera, what each function did, in detail and the afternoon was a free for all around the Zoo, with expert instruction from Bryan and Nina.

Well worth the money !

Back