Experimenting with 70-300 + ext tube

Well done, that seems to be working fine. I like the series with the spider. It looks like it was awkward to get at, with foliage in the way.

Roughly what working distance did you have with those shots?

Thanks Nick.

I can't remember too well what the distance was as it varied a lot as I zoomed the lens, but I think these shots were taken at a couple of feet or so. Although I did get tubes with full contacts, I found it easier to switch to manual focus and focus by moving myself. I don't know if that's the right way to go?

The spider was quite a small specimen - smaller than the fly, and backlit as you can see. I like that the thorax and head is translucent and the sun is lighting it up. Yes there is a lot of foliage in the way, I had to shoot from the opposite side of the bush to get its top side, I was also on tiptoe, which didn't help!

Thanks Nick.

I can't remember too well what the distance was as it varied a lot as I zoomed the lens, but I think these shots were taken at a couple of feet or so. Although I did get tubes with full contacts, I found it easier to switch to manual focus and focus by moving myself. I don't know if that's the right way to go?

I think the right way is whatever works. :)

The spider was quite a small specimen - smaller than the fly, and backlit as you can see. I like that the thorax and head is translucent and the sun is lighting it up. Yes there is a lot of foliage in the way, I had to shoot from the opposite side of the bush to get its top side, I was also on tiptoe, which didn't help!

Sounds familiar. :) Even better well done getting the shots.

Back