Experimenting with colour lighting

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Took some shots with gels and did a few different takes on the processing. Would be glad to get the feedback on the what people think works:

This is the tidies up original:

Frances21 by Dr_Drake, on Flickr

This is with some motion Blur added in PS:

Frances26 by Dr_Drake, on Flickr

This is with some light swirls:

Frances27 by Dr_Drake, on Flickr

Like I say, happy to get feedback on what works what doesn't, what could be added to make this better images.

Cheers,
Robin

Last edited:
Trouble if with the model square to camera it's made her tummy look big and square

Same issue with the hair

If the model had been sideways on it would have been much stronger.

Not sure what the light swirls are adding I'm afraid

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure I agree with what you are saying about the hair, however take the point about the stomach etc.

Here is another attempt:

Frances27b by Dr_Drake, on Flickr

Also, take the point about the light swirls, this was just experimenting.

Thanks again for looking.

Cheers.

Hi Robin,

I think I'd agree in part with Simon in that the face-on position is taking some shape out of your models pose. However your thread title is about experimenting with coloured lighting, so I'll talk about that first ;)

I think that given the pose and shape of the hair you could perhaps have used one of the lights to the rear to give a rim light and definition to the top of her hair (red - like a flame perhaps?), then bring the other more forward to give more light on her face as the key. For this image, as a viewer, I find myself wanting to see behind her hair and the expression on her face - she seems to be quite striking. Maybe this could work as a much tighter frame on her face and shoulders and lose the body, and, square on.

For the light swirls, I think I see what you were trying, makes me think of the old Tia Maria advert ;)

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for taking the time to review and pointing out some areas for improvement. I do have a series of shots with this lighting, with the lamps in different locations, so will see what else I have. Not sure I have one with the red gel at the back, which is a shame as it sounds like it would make a nice shot.. :) Maybe next time.

Thanks again for looking.

Back