Beginner Experimenting with Film

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I would love to have a go with b&w film, but was wondering if it's still a realistic option. Can you still get decent film? How do you process it nowadays?

You can still get a few films these days, Ilford was always easy for a beginner. Processing is same as always, into a tank in the dark and add chemicals.

I would love to have a go with b&w film, but was wondering if it's still a realistic option. Can you still get decent film? How do you process it nowadays?

You didn't say what sort of camera you've got; I'm assuming it's more likely to be 35mm ("135 film") than medium format ("120 film"). You should probably start with reading the "first film ever" thread here, which contains links to other stuff as well.

Basically there are two types of black and white film available: traditional black and white film, which is relatively easy to develop at home but more expensive to get done commercially, and black and white based on C41 colour film ("chromogenic"?) which is harder at home and easier to get done commercially! The main example of the latter type is Ilford XP2+, which is available from Boots on a buy one get one half price basis. It's ISO 400, good at this time of the year, and a good starter film (good for a lot more, too).

As has been said. there's a wide choice of traditional black and white, and there are often threads discussing the various choices. The simplest to get hold of, also from Boots, would probably be HP5+ (400 ISO) or FP4+ (125 ISO). If you've got a local good camera store they should have a much wider variety of film. A personal favourite of mine is Kodak TriX (400 ISO). If you like long exposures, folk here swear by Fuji Acros 100, which works well under all circumstances, but is better than most at long exposures (less "reciprocity failure"). But in terms of stuff available in shops, there aren't any really bad choices. It appears there are some films available cheap off the internet which are said to have thin bases, or be very curly when you try to scan them, but this shouldn't bother you for a while.

Hope that helps!

Doing your own B&W really is a piece of cake.

Film goes in camera. Take photos. Film comes out camera. Put film in developing tank inside light proof changing bag. Take tank out. Pour 3 different chemicals (which are widely available) into tank, one after another. Wash film. Stand watching in awe as magical photos appear out of nowhere, whilst saying "I can't believe it worked" over and over again. Hang to dry. Scan.

All done in the bathroom/kitchen with the light on the whole time. Takes less than an hour and all the equipment will fit in a box under the sink.

If I've made it sound really easy, it's because it is!

Film goes in camera. Take photos. Film comes out camera. Put film in developing tank inside light proof changing bag. Take tank out. Pour 3 different chemicals (which are widely available) into tank, one after another. Wash film. Stand watching in awe as magical photos appear out of nowhere, whilst saying "I can't believe it worked" over and over again. Hang to dry. Scan.

All done in the bathroom/kitchen with the light on the whole time. Takes less than an hour and all the equipment will fit in a box under the sink.

I thought the proper statement is either 'witchcraft' or 'sorcery'? :D

You didn't say what sort of camera you've got; I'm assuming it's more likely to be 35mm ("135 film") than medium format ("120 film"). You should probably start with reading the "first film ever" thread here, which contains links to other stuff as well.

Basically there are two types of black and white film available: traditional black and white film, which is relatively easy to develop at home but more expensive to get done commercially, and black and white based on C41 colour film ("chromogenic"?) which is harder at home and easier to get done commercially! The main example of the latter type is Ilford XP2+, which is available from Boots on a buy one get one half price basis. It's ISO 400, good at this time of the year, and a good starter film (good for a lot more, too).

As has been said. there's a wide choice of traditional black and white, and there are often threads discussing the various choices. The simplest to get hold of, also from Boots, would probably be HP5+ (400 ISO) or FP4+ (125 ISO). If you've got a local good camera store they should have a much wider variety of film. A personal favourite of mine is Kodak TriX (400 ISO). If you like long exposures, folk here swear by Fuji Acros 100, which works well under all circumstances, but is better than most at long exposures (less "reciprocity failure"). But in terms of stuff available in shops, there aren't any really bad choices. It appears there are some films available cheap off the internet which are said to have thin bases, or be very curly when you try to scan them, but this shouldn't bother you for a while.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a film camera yet, but it will be 35mm. I've got my eye on a couple of Olympus OM10s on ebay atm. I don't want to spend much and they seem cheap enough.
I'm not interested in long exposures just yet, so the 400 sounds like a good bet.

That does sound easy! Easier than I thought. So you scan your film and them open it in (whatever image software).

Last edited:
That does sound easy! Easier than I thought. So you scan your film and them open it in (whatever image software).

Yep, pretty much. I've got a V550 scanner which seems to be a popular option. They're not cheap (around £170), but it pays for itself after a couple dozen rolls as you don't have to pay for lab scans.

From there I just import the images into Lightroom and process as normal.

That's for b&w films, colour is a different ball game altogether, which is why most people get labs to develop and/or scan.

Edit to add: The V550 price is for a brand new scanner, you can get much better bargains if you look around for second hand ones, or slightly dfferent (but just as capable) models.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a film camera yet, but it will be 35mm. I've got my eye on a couple of Olympus OM10s on ebay atm. I don't want to spend much and they seem cheap enough.
I'm not interested in long exposures just yet, so the 400 sounds like a good bet.
I don't know much about Olympus, but the lenses have a very good reputation and so do many of the cameras. I think the OM10 was probably the "consumer" camera in the range, and is probably a good starter choice if it comes with a lens.

Wel, home developing IS easy, but I wouldn't do it with my first film! There's a pile of stuff to buy, and including a decent scanner you could be down well over £100 and then decide you didn't like it. I went back to film and used commercial services for a couple of years before venturing into home devving (I got a scanner first, then moved to devving after that).

Personally my recommendation would be to start with XP2+, and get it processed and scanned (often called CD) at a local high street store... if your nearest Asda does it, that's £3 for process and CD, otherwise maybe Snappy Snaps or Max Spielman, both in an hour or so. Otherwise there ar plenty of labs in the UK film processing thread; I use Photo Express or FilmDev for my colour negative film (including XP2+).

Back