Exploding apple!

Name
Rhod
Edit My Images
Yes
A bit different to the water drops and nature I normally do :nuts:.

I had my first go at high speed photography. Apple shot with a 0.22 airgun at 30cm:LOL: Sound trigger and 550ex @ 1/128 power. Pleased with it as a first attempt;)

IMG_4282_psw.jpg

:)(y)

That's fantastic. I love the way the skin is splitting and the stem (?) has been popped up out of the top of the apple.

My only suggestion would be to clone the supporting stick out so the apple looks like it's in mid air.

Love it! (y)

great stuff , like this a lot , good lighting too , i would lose the stick also , esp the bit coming out the top of the apple

Excellent shot, just the right moment. Might be worth adding a reflector to add some more light to the dark side imo.

I am amazed a humble .22 can make that much of a mess of an apple though, even at 30cm! What sort out pellet was used, flat top? Or is it powerful rifle? (well for an air rifle so over 12 ftLbs)

Last edited:
Stunning first attempt!! (y)

Great "shot" :D ;) Agree with cloning out the supporting stick, but otherwise it's a lovely image.

Very good and with limited kit too :)

Thanks for commenting folks(y)

Excellent shot, just the right moment. Might be worth adding a reflector to add some more light to the dark side imo.

I am amazed a humble .22 can make that much of a mess of an apple though, even at 30cm! What sort out pellet was used, flat top? Or is it powerful rifle? (well for an air rifle so over 12 ftLbs)

Good idea re the reflector(y) I need to spend a bit more time with the lighting before the actual "shoot"!
The airgun is a cheap thing and not that powerful, certainly below the legal limit. The pellets are just std too.

great looking image.. hats off to you for getting stuck in with this high speed stuff..
seen some fantastic examples of this type of photography
what type of sound trigger have you got!!
I would love to have a go at this
Chris

Sound trigger is a CameraAxe;)

wooah thats a great shot!

I've seen other photos like this, but shot with bullets, never with an air rifle, great shot.

Awesome first attempt ! How good will it get when you`ve had some more practise ?

Amazing; would also love to know more about this - did you build the CameraAxe yourself? How are you finding it?

Thanks guys:)

@ Snapsh0t - I used a cardboard tube in place of the apple to get the timing right. Took about 10 shots and then laid waste to 8 apples:LOL:

HTH
Good idea. I was looking at the HiViz kits but the CameraAxe is so much more sophisticated but still a fraction of the cost of other, similar equipment. I think it'll have to go on the future purchase list.....

then laid waste to 8 apples:LOL:

How could you, Apples have feelings too, an Apple is not just for Christmas :D

Great shot, I would never have thought that that type of photo could be taken without a mega expensive set up.

Excellent work Rhod (y)

Great shot, I would never have thought that that type of photo could be taken without a mega expensive set up.
The real limitation is the flash used. The pellet is probably still going at around 350mph and isn't sharp as it's travelled almost 0.25" during the exposure, even with the flash fired at 1/128th power. I don't think this matters (and may even enhance) for this shot as it's not the main interest but you can see why Stephen Dalton developed his own flash equipment for the stunning shots in his books.

Very impressive

surprised at the relatively "low-ish" cost of the sensor set up

Hi Steve, thanks for looking:)

It's your fault I'm shooting this high speed stuff;):LOL: Are you still doing any yourself?

Nah! .... Haven't done anything for months..... I keep thinking about it though ;)

Great shot by you and the person with the airgun

I think thats a brilliant picture, I am gonna try that and more than likely epically fail :thinking:

Awesome shot! I'm writing a book that will expose Monsanto and their lies. Would you be interested in sharing this photo with me for my book? This photo could truly be worth a thousand words as it illustrates a powerful point in my book. Please let me know.
Thanks, Brett

Awesome shot! I'm writing a book that will expose Monsanto and their lies. Would you be interested in sharing this photo with me for my book? This photo could truly be worth a thousand words as it illustrates a powerful point in my book. Please let me know.
Thanks, Brett

Hi Brett

Thanks for the comments! Unfortunately I would rather my images are NOT used for political purposes and therefore request that the image is not used in your book. I appreciate the request and am sorry to disappoint.

Regards
Rhod

Hi Brett

Thanks for the comments! Unfortunately I would rather my images are NOT used for political purposes and therefore request that the image is not used in your book. I appreciate the request and am sorry to disappoint.

Regards
Rhod

Thanks, Rhod. My best to you.

Back