Export settings for Flickr and Facebook

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm hoping somebody can clear this up for me. What are the best Lightroom export settings for presenting images on Flickr and Facebook.

I've heard about 72dpi but I'm no sure what difference this makes tbh.

Thanks.

Someone far brighter than me will tell you the difference, but for me I either export at 72 or 300dpi depending what I'm doing.

For FB & Flickr on screen displays it makes no difference at all, other than smaller file size and faster uploads at 72dpi.

But others may say different.

My standard export settings for both are 800 on the long edge and 72dpi.

Happy New Year.

Use the minimum you can unless its for sale purposes the less an image can be copied (low quality) the safer it is on fb/flickr hth mike

I specify 1000px along the longest side. The dpi setting does nothing if you're specifying pixel lengths. The image ends up being 1000 pixels across. On a 2000px wide monitor it'll take up half the space. On a 600x400 monitor (if they still exist) it's fill the screen and overlap.

At 1000px, someone could do a screen grab and print out a reasonable 10" print or a really good 5" print. 1000px is about the best mid-way balance between size and quality on modern screens today. If you're really cautious about screen grabbing and printing etc, you can watermark (in LR) or go smaller. 800 is about as low as I'd go today though. Anything smaller and it starts to look like a thumbnail on modern monitors.
At 2000px you have an image that'll look really good on high rez monitors, but will be screen grabbable and printoutable to a decent 11" print and magazine quality 6" print.

tl;dr: Set the export to 1000px wide & high (LR will grab the longest edge) and ignore dpi. Golden.

I specify 1000px along the longest side. The dpi setting does nothing if you're specifying pixel lengths. The image ends up being 1000 pixels across. On a 2000px wide monitor it'll take up half the space. On a 600x400 monitor (if they still exist) it's fill the screen and overlap.

At 1000px, someone could do a screen grab and print out a reasonable 10" print or a really good 5" print. 1000px is about the best mid-way balance between size and quality on modern screens today. If you're really cautious about screen grabbing and printing etc, you can watermark (in LR) or go smaller. 800 is about as low as I'd go today though. Anything smaller and it starts to look like a thumbnail on modern monitors.
At 2000px you have an image that'll look really good on high rez monitors, but will be screen grabbable and printoutable to a decent 11" print and magazine quality 6" print.

tl;dr: Set the export to 1000px wide & high (LR will grab the longest edge) and ignore dpi. Golden.

Knew someone with better knowledge than me would give the right answer...

Great advice that I'll use from tomorrow.

FB punish you with compression if you dont share HQ images - 2048px long edge is best I have found. - you can drop compression quality to from 12 to 8 with no impact, if you dont want the large size.
If you get any issues you can also try .PNG instead of .JPG

Im pretty sure facebook has still compressed my images even when i have uploaded at full size (shared personally, not professionally) - i hate facebook.

Back