Extender for Canon L Series EF 300mm 1.4 IS

Name
Graham Roberts
Edit My Images
Yes
I purchased a second hand Canon L Series EF 300mm 1.4 IS lens a couple of years ago which I use with Canon 700D DSLR and, not surprisingly, have not been disappointed.

However, I'm often looking for a bit more reach when photographing birds & animals + hope to visit Africa next year, so am thinking of adding an extender - either the 1.4 or 2.0.

Would like to hear from anybody who uses either of these, how they perform and if they're worth adding + what's the differrnce between II and III?

Thanks, Graham

Last edited:
If AF is important then go with the 1.4x as you will lose AF with a 2x and your f4 lens. Both the II and the III will work well, the III is probably optimised better for recent lenses so the II will be more than adequate with your lens.

HTH

I assume you mean the 300mm F4 is?

I have both on a 5D3 so both Af on my body, on yours only the 1.4 will work as your body does not af on an effective F8 lens. The lens takes a 1.4 well and tbh a 600mm lens, using the 2x is what you would get is a difficult lens to use, most likely you would miss loads of shots. Go with the 1.4 extender, a mk 2 would be sufficient with your body. Really just confirming what @Phil said

Last edited:
The 300 F4 L IS will AF with the Canon 2 x extender - but only in live view mode and, frankly, it is not worth bothering with unless the conditions are ideal. I am not familiar with your camera so I am not certain if the above will work.

On the other hand your lens with the Canon 1.4 extender (any version) will AF just fine and not loose too much IQ. I would suggest either the Mk2 or Mk3 versions. I found that the Mk3 gave very marginally better AF (Canon say it doesn't - but it does) but IQ wise the Mk2 may be marginally better in the centre of the frame. We are REALLY splitting hairs here - jut get the cheapest Canon 1.4 Mk2/3 you can find and you will be happy!

Back